More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? Empty
PostSubject: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2020 8:28 am

A lot of people complain about Kentucky not being an exotic location for James Bond, but I do understand the movie has to go there, if you want Fort Knox to be part of the plot.  However, would it have been better if the plot went to Fort Knox after Bond seduced Pussy Galore?  Because if they waited till then, then quite a bit more of the movie could have taken place in Switzerland at perhaps at a few more exotic locations, minus a car junk yard.  What do you think, would that have been better?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptyTue Jan 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Depends on what the individual viewer prioritises. I'm quite happy with seeing Kentucky as I've never been and it seems to provide the perfect window into 60s America. In terms of storytelling it makes perfect sense so I'd prefer not shoehorn extraneous Swiss scenes for the sake of exoticism (see YOLT or OP for where this fails).
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptyTue Jan 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Depends on what the individual viewer prioritises. I'm quite happy with seeing Kentucky as I've never been and it seems to provide the perfect window into 60s America. In terms of storytelling it makes perfect sense so I'd prefer not shoehorn extraneous Swiss scenes for the sake of exoticism (see YOLT or OP for where this fails).

Agreed. I adore Switzerland, but Kentucky in the mid-60s provides some nice novelty.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 am

Early 60's American South is a very Flemingesque setting.

I mean that without irony!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 am

When I was growing up it made me groan that they had to go into the South which is where I come from and where Bond was my escape from...

However it is really more of GF's stud farm and Fort Knox which is removed from the rest of the populace so it does keep a bit of otherworldly exotic-ness because of this and the fact that outside of the handful of base town shots you see no real people.
If you talk about the shots of Felix and partner at the KFC or following Oddjob those don't exactly count as they're from the Florida shoot anyways.

The more you study this section of the film, the more you realize how brilliant Dehn and Maibaum were to keep Bond from feeling like a moronic prisoner which does somewhat come up in the novel at the same point and especially when you have the"be my prisoner/secretary for the gangster business convention and luncheon". Every scene also drips in underlying tension and Bond trying to ferret out any scrap of information. The most important of these is not the hood's convention as most would think or even the tumble in the hay with Pussy but is in actuality the porch front seemingly civilized conversation/showdown between Goldfinger and Bond complete with mint julep. This is one of the best scenes in the film as you have a game of wits going on and the reveal of Goldfinger's plot-AND the depths of his evil amidst a showy guise of civility. And Bond must put two and two together whilst playing Goldfinger and trying to beat him at his own game without giving his own hand away. I've long felt this along with certain other scenes from DN, FRWL and some others should be in the audition tests for potential Bonds.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Fully agree on the "civilized conversation" between Bond and Auric. Tremendous scene and wonderfully acted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?   Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would it be better if they didn't go to Kentucky till later on?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Goldfinger (1964)-
Jump to: