More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

"Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

"Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" Empty
PostSubject: "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"   "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 4:26 am

"Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" Pierce_brosnan_goldeneye

https://www.insidehook.com/article/movies/pierce-brosnan-best-james-bond?fbclid=IwAR30h7agXSMsV3xlxqhPa9vgVz0X4MTlqk-uTq090EvwPQyumZOOmAODrng

Hope this is an indication of a turning of the tide. Though it's worth noting Brosnan remains quite popular with casual fans. Comments from friends and family - old and young - both positively responded to his films and his performance, upon seeing them on TV recently.

You know where I stand.

I'm standing in the 90s doorway.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"   "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 am

Quote :
Brosnan did just four films, and packed them all into a brief stint of just seven years. While the casual viewer may take that as a sign he couldn’t hack it — we would argue that unlike other actors, he merely exited with grace before he aged out — what this outlier statistic really shows is yet another reason why these films feel so distinctive from the rest. Because the entirety of Brosnan’s oeuvre took place over the shortest duration of time, his movies were less at the whim of outside forces like filmmaking trends, social mores and audience desires. Whereas some of Connery’s and Moore’s separate outings feel as if they were made in separate decades (because they were) and Craig’s films sometimes seem to be catering to the producers’ idea of what modern audiences want (for better and worse), the Brosnan era feels refreshingly cohesive.

That's an interesting point, though I'd argue GE and DAD are very different tonally and in terms of their respective styles of cinematography and whatnot; the latter was overtly influenced by The Matrix and other CGI-heavy films and Tamawhore admits as such. In saying that, the gulf between, say, DN/FRWL and DAF is just as large.

I can certainly see the writer's perspective here. Brosnan's Bond doesn't really demand too much of you and 90's nostalgia is surely the next big thing. Whatever else they may be, they're the sorts of films you could pop on for a bit of relaxing, mindless fun. I certainly can't say the same for Quntdom or Sprectum.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"   "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" EmptyTue Apr 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Tamahori - and reviewers! - claim that DAD does retain the classic Bond espionage flair and much of that I can see carried over from GE into the '02 film, especially in Hong Kong and Cuba. Then yes, it heavily involves contemporary VFX and tropes which undoes a lot of the solid groundwork in the first half.

When a book series begins with the outrageous idea that an elite British agent needs to win at the tables to trump the villain, that sense of joie de vivre needs to be palpable. That's not in the current era and needs to come back. Brosnan's era had it in spades.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"   "Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Pierce Brosnan Is the James Bond We Need Right Now"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: