More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?

Go down 
+3
Blunt Instrument
CJB
ironpony
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? Empty
PostSubject: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 pm

I was watching this youtube review of Bond movies and at 35:52 into the review, he talks about how Stromberg is the only Bond villain so far who's plan is wanting to better society, compared to the other villains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aqFh68alA

And I am wondering, is that true, that he is different than other Bond villains in that way? I've always thought of Stromberg as perhaps one of the more average villains, but now maybe I missed something about him that makes him different? What do you think?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am

Drax is the same. Burn the village to save the village sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 am

Yeah that's true. So in the video when they Stromberg is the only villain, did they mean the only so far at that point, before Drax, and thus maybe Stromberg is a new villain of his kind?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am

There's something distinctly Aryan to Drax's intentions to repopulate the world with his 'perfect people' ... possibly a mod to the novel version turning out to be a bitterly vengeful Nazi (spoiler alert, lol).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Drax is not only of the same ilk, but an improved version of Stromberg's, who might just have the weakest villain plot of the series (perhaps rivalled by Spectre's). You're probably right, BI, in that Drax's 'master race' alludes to Hitler's end game.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Drax is 3D, Stromberg is 2D. So yes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 pm

What made Stromberg unique (up til then) wasn't just his dream of his own version of a utopian society, but also that there was no ultimatum.

"Alright Stromberg, you've made your point. How much do you want?"
"How much?  Whatever do you mean, Mr. Bond?"
"The price for not firing those nuclear missiles."
"You're deluded, Mr Bond. I'm not interested in extortion."

Stromberg could not be bribed, dissuaded or threatened. He had every intention of going through with his plan. True, So did the unnamed country pitting Russia against America in YOLT, but world domination - despite Bond's jibe at Dr. No - has never been Spectre's goal. Spectre was only helping out for the money. Stromberg already had money.

Drax had more money than God and Croesus combined and like Stromberg, he wanted to rule the world, but not a world populated with radioactive mutants. Instead of physically perfect specimens of all races, I think Drax's followers should have all been 'Aryan' - that is tall, blonde and blue-eyed; the so-called 'master race' (with which Drax, like Adolph before him, did not conform). Some days when I look at the news, I think Drax was on to something. At least he was an equal opportunity elitist.

Last edited by AMC Hornet on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 am

Problem with Stromberg is that it makes him a little two dimensional. And the goal of making a world beneathz zhe zea is so cartoonish.

AMC wrote:
Drax had more money than God and Croesus combined and like Stromberg, he wanted to rule the world, but not a world populated with radioactive mutants. Instead of physically perfect specimens of all races, I think Drax's followers should have all been 'Aryan' - that is tall, blonde and blue-eyed; the so-called 'master race' (with which Drax, like Adolph before him, did not conform). Some days when I look at the news, I think Drax was on to something. At least was an equal opportunity elitist.

Agreed. Would have made the allusions to Hitler's plan more apparent.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 am

Actually it's funny this has come up now. I just discussed Stromberg in depth in an interview on Bond here at about the 1hr 29 min mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlajQKI009M
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?   Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it true that Stromberg is a more unique villain for this reason?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)-
Jump to: