More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

"The mission that changes everything"

Go down 
+4
CJB
Blunt Instrument
silvertoe
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

"The mission that changes everything" Empty
PostSubject: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 4:05 am

It's the recurrent tagline in the promotional material. Is it just a bit of marketing fluff or is there going to be a serious revelation in the film?

Had this been the tagline in any of the Bond films from the first 40 years, I'd be inclined to think it refers to an ultimate, devastating villainous scheme that we hadn't seen before (though since we've had globes of poisonous gas released from space, I'm not sure how one ups that) Given the direction of the current story elements, I imagine it refers to some character reveal or some shocking development with Bond's character. For example, could he die?

EDIT: this could get spoiler-rific so please be sure to use spoiler tags if necessary. For new members, use: [spoiler] [/spoiler ] (delete the space between the last square bracket and the 'r'. Add the spoiler in the middle).

Last edited by Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

Can't see them killing off bond somehow, that would be killing the goose that laid the golden egg, but "changes everything" certainly opens up a lot of possibilities doesn't it?
I think most people are expecting Safin is actually Dr no and if so will his evil ploy be the toppling of American missiles and the potential consequences thereof? This scenario is a bit "Doctor evil" for a modern audience isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am

I really don't know what it might mean ... having 'firmed up' in Skyfall that James Bond is actually the character's name and not a codename passed along to MI6's best operative, him dying seems unlikely. Unless Babs 'n' Michael do actually intend this to be the last one and they've kept it quiet eek .
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 1:34 pm

This time, it's personal.

No, really, it's this time that it's personal.
Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 pm

I usually give little weight to slogans like this, I believe they're just made to generate hype without actually referring to anything else.

As for Bond dying, technically they could kill him off and then start over with a new actor and justify it by saying that Craig's era was self-contained but I still doubt EON will kill Bond off.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 10:54 am

When you consider the hundreds of people who work on a film like this, one might of expected a leak by now.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 12:22 am

Like Walecs suggests, it could be that they intend to keep the Craig era self contained, so killing him off would certainly attest that NTTD changes everything. That said, the idea of Bond dying was just an example. It could be anything, including the "leaked" spoilers:

Spoiler:

So I guess the questions I put to you: what could it be? What would you like, and what would you hope they never do?

silvertoe wrote:
I think most people are expecting Safin is actually Dr no and if so will his evil ploy be the toppling of American missiles and the potential consequences thereof? This scenario is a bit "Doctor evil" for a modern audience isn't it?

I was also convinced Safin would be Dr No but I'm not so sure anymore. The newer trailers don't really suggest it. Also, I'm not sure it "changes everything" if it turned out to be true. Also, it will be quite bizarre in terms of chronology. Rookie Bond (CR/QOS) > Over the Hill Bond (SF) > back to service and retires (SP) > out of retirement (NTTD) > Bond becomes Bond.

blink

To be honest, whatever Safin's scheme is, it certainly feels like a return to form. The threat seems palpable again... let's just hope it doesn't venture too far into sci-fi territory, which if the rumours are true, it might.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyWed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 pm

This mission changes everything fluff is what every Bond film since probably the 80s has been tag lined by. Just get it done.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySat Oct 03, 2020 12:27 am

Hilly wrote:
This mission changes everything fluff is what every Bond film since probably the 80s has been tag lined by. Just get it done.

Yeah. Problem is they've actually started changing everything in the movies. Bond not a good 00 agent? That changes everything we know about the 00 program. Check. M dies? That changes everything about the current MI6 line up. Check. Blofeld is Bond's foster brother? That changes everything. Check.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySat Oct 03, 2020 8:50 am

Hilly wrote:
" this is the big one 007"....YOLT tongue
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySat Oct 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Yeah. Problem is they've actually started changing everything in the movies. Bond not a good 00 agent? That changes everything we know about the 00 program. Check. M dies? That changes everything about the current MI6 line up. Check. Blofeld is Bond's foster brother? That changes everything. Check.

Very true. There once was a time this "Bond not a good agent per se" was unique and the rest but now it feels tired. I mean Bond had his weak moments in TWINE and DAD and the Craig-era turned it into some weird art form.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyMon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Hilly wrote:
...the Craig-era turned it into some weird art form.

As diplomatic as always, our Hilly! tongue
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyMon Oct 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Hilly wrote:
...the Craig-era turned it into some weird art form.

As diplomatic as always, our Hilly! tongue

One tries.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyFri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 am

Not to mention they now want to be considered arty hence hiring Mendes and the sort of look and feel they apparently want for a certain new crowd to attract.

Or they're reading the "we want to imitate Christopher Nolan 101" book.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySat Oct 10, 2020 1:19 pm

I think the hiring of Forster is the series' most glaring attempt at being arty. I think they found good middle ground with Mendes, and his being British certainly gave Skyfall a fittingly patriotic feel... But it's sad it went so very wrong with his next film, and supposedly because of him (it was his idea to develop the 'cuckoo' story thread).
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 am

Well to be honest the first "arty" choice was Michael Apted.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 11:16 am

True. Not much in the way of action thrillers on his C.V. either before or after TWINE.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Even Michael Apted was like "why would you pick ME? Have you seen my movies?"

Tamahori also counts, though looking at his resume you wouldn't have thought he'd make a movie like DAD.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 am

I'm just impressed Tamahori was able to walk around snowy Iceland in stilettos.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am

He had it goin' ON, girlfriend (or, erm, something).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Yeah the first was Apted... but if we're to look at the series, QOS dives the deepest into the arthouse genre. Like Mendes in SF, I think Apted struck the right balance. Tamahori And Forster, well...

Fukunaga's CV is very eclectic and I've only seen his Jane Eyre. I saw a headline that said Eon want him to return to the series because "NTTD is one of the best in the series". Think we had the same line about SP before its release... Of course she's trying to sell the film so I'm not taking it too seriously. But as to whether Fukunaga should return... Right now I'd agree if he brings Fassbender with him (having worked with him on Jane Eyre).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The mission that changes everything"   "The mission that changes everything" Empty

Back to top Go down

"The mission that changes everything"
Page 1 of 1