More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Maibaum's original idea

Go down 
+3
silvertoe
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Maibaum's original idea Empty
PostSubject: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 12:52 am

Having seen a number of Faye Dunaway films recently I googled to see if she was really in contention to play Anya in TSWLM. Turns out she was looked at for Octopussy but was deemed too expensive. But what I discovered was Maibaum's original idea:

Bondfanevents wrote:
Dick had created a treatment far darker than the Octopussy you see today. In his first draft Octopussy was a supervillainess on a quest for vengeance against Blofeld and SPECTRE; a retalation of sorts for a defeat her organization suffered at Blofeld`s hands. She recruits 007 in her revenge scheme knowing that Blofeld had killed Bond`s wife, Tracy, and would most certainly want to help bring Blofeld down (apparently being dropped 1000 feet down a chimney stack isn`t enough to kill off a supervillain these days). Bond and Octopussy were to team up to take on Blofeld and even disarm a super techno-weapon called the OCTO-PC (perhaps some sort of personal computer?). We`ll never know exactly what Maibaum had in mind because George MacDonald Fraser was brought on to steer the story in a different direction; away from Blofeld, SPECTRE, and any legal entanglements using them could bring about.

https://bondfanevents.com/faye-dunaway-and-sybil-danning-bond-babes/

I'd never heard of this before. I don't recall it being in the reliable, comprehensive book Some Kind of Hero; I imagine I would have remembered info surrounding an OCTO-PC.

Of course it's only an outline, but aside from the idea of Bond teaming up with a villain to bring down another villain, it seems pretty base. I think the final product exhibits far more intrigue than this (save for the goofier elements in India).
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 am

I've never cared for OP to be honest, so this sounds a lot more interesting to me than the final product.

"OCTO-PC" is pretty clever too. Very 80's!
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 10:26 am

CJB wrote:
I've never cared for OP to be honest, so this sounds a lot more interesting to me than the final product.

Ditto.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 am

It certainly sounds interesting, but if that's the way OP had gone I would've wanted FYEO's pre-credits sequence to have been different.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 am

I've heard a rumbling of an earlier Maibaum OP approach but never anything that fleshed out. I want to dive into his archives so badly at this point if I'm honest.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Maibaum's archives would be a treat indeed! From this to TSWLM's original drafts- even to see if the final shooting script reduced Anya's subplot to aid Bach's limited range.

Blunt Instrument wrote:
It certainly sounds interesting, but if that's the way OP had gone I would've wanted FYEO's pre-credits sequence to have been different.

Yeah. Not only that, but also the fact that the OCTO-PC could potentially rehash the ATAC.

CJB wrote:

I can almost hear the sound effects for it! colgate
Back to top Go down
Napoleon Solo
'R'
'R'
Napoleon Solo

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 2:25 pm

A publication called MediaScene had mention of this original idea, circa 1982. It had Sybil Danning on the cover.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Sybil Danning was on the cover of every movie rumour magazine in the early / mid 80s. She was going to be Fatima Blush in NSNA, the witch who seduced Darth Vader to the dark side, etc etc. The only thing I ever actually saw her in was V, in a brief cameo appearance.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am

She was also in this, although i would never look at such things myself drool
Maibaum's original idea Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSN-oY7ppoVbjcZ1a5-IX5lrUu82RS4W8Swag&usqp=CAU
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 12:04 am

colgate

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maibaum's original idea   Maibaum's original idea Empty

Back to top Go down

Maibaum's original idea
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Octopussy (1983)-
Jump to: