More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Game of Thrones

Go down 
+8
tiffanywint
CJB
Harmsway
Fae
Lobelia Overhill
Largo's Shark
Vesper
Salomé
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Game of Thrones - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:15 pm

I can't get behind Pete Dinklage's character because - having seen seen some interviews before the show started - the character is such a blatant author stand in that with every profound statement or witticism I feel like wincing.

I read some good reviews from the NYT and Salon that summed up my thoughts on this better than I could hope to. I'll try to find them.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:25 am

I think you might be more right than you realize about Tyrion Lannister, seems as if Martin himself has admitted that the Imp is the character closest to himself.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:42 am

Episode five was the best one yet. Seems like the net is closing around Ned Stark. I only realized after the show that we hadn't seen any Dothraki scenes in this one. They basically spent the episode going back and forth between only two settings (Lady Stark & her Imp prisoner/ King's landing) which made it more enjoyable to watch and you actually had the feeling something had happened by the end of the hour.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:46 am

Hmmm, might have to give it a look then.

Can't see myself sticking around for season two though, especially if the American "Prime Suspect" and "The Playboy Club" manage to deliver on the potential on their trailers.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Better, but still not great.

The fight scenes were horrendously bad, though. I can't figure if it was that the props are dodgy, the choreography was bad, the blocking was off or it was shot poorly, but blimey. It looked like they were all afraid to hit each other.

eta: and the scene with the gay knight of the flowers and the king's brother played out like a Monty Python sketch.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Thoughts on this week's episode Vesper? I thought it was rather good, the most interesting one yet.

The Dragon's Kings demise was the dramatic highpoint of the series so far. Bronn standing in trial by combat on Tyrion's behalf was quite enjoyable as well.

It's set up rather well for a good latter half of the season.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 am

I loathed the way the last scene was staged and shot and the scene with the prostitutes was some awful writing but as a whole I would agree with you. It still doesn't hold up to HBO's pedigree, though, IMO. ROME wasn't Shakespeare but this pales in comparison.

But it's getting better. This last episode was the best so far and it was written by Martin, can't be a coincidence. Looking him up on wiki, he used to write for television before becoming a novelist. That also can't be a coincidence.

Plus it was good to see the focus on characters with some common sense for once instead of an author stand-in and a lethargic idiot proselytising about valour and honour.

Glad the fake Spaniard is dead, he and Arya's scenes were beyond irritating.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Actually it's not certain the fake Spaniard is in fact death. There is some discussion going on even amongst the fans of the novel about whether or not he survived. Apparently Martin left his fate purposefully vague even in the novels.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:31 am

Well then at least he doesn't appear again for another five books :)

The difference in the quality of direction between this episode and the others was astounding, IMO. Alan Taylor is a ROME vet and probably one of the most sort after TV directors (Weiner , so it was nice to see some actual quality for something so pivotal as I assume this episode was. It was nice to see the visual medium actually used well for once on this show.

I knew it was coming but I thought it was well executed, pardon the pun.
Back to top Go down
Lobelia Overhill

Lobelia Overhill

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 pm

I saw the trailers for this and was really looking forward to watching, looked to be an impressive cast and lush sets etc...

Seeing how it's HBO I was expecting swearing and nudity, but not to the degree there was in the show. And most of it completely gratuitous...

I got the distinct impression "the story's crap, but look we have boobies!!". that or they're hoping to attract a lot of adolescent boys as viewers!

IMO the show sucks. It's rubbish.

I was advised to buy the books - having expressed my opinion on another MB. So I bought the first two books and found them to be just as bad as the show.

Or possibly worse, given it's misogynistic overtones.. the women serve little purpose, they are either whores or married off (at the behest of their father) to whatever man he chooses - she has no say in the matter, to produce heirs. There seem to be an awful lot of fat, ugly, kind hearted women in Westeros as well.

yeeeeaahhh...

Salomé wrote:
One thing I thought was a bit silly in the second episode was how easily Daeneris went from being horrified at becoming Kahl Drogo's queen to being eager to please him. I'm sure this was handled with more care in the novels, since the mental change happened almost from one scene to the next in the series.

In the book Daenerys is 13 years old (WTF?!) when she's sold off to Drogo. On their wedding night he's quite tender with her, but thereafter he "rides her as though he's riding his stallion". Yeah, the guy who wrote this has possibly never had sex, and certainly has never ridden a horse!

I think I'm only reading/watching at this point for the LOLs

Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 am

Salomé wrote:
One thing I thought was a bit silly in the second episode was how easily Daeneris went from being horrified at becoming Kahl Drogo's queen to being eager to please him. I'm sure this was handled with more care in the novels, since the mental change happened almost from one scene to the next in the series.
It was handled better in the novel. In fact a lot of things are handled better in the novel. Like the scene when Dany's brother Viseraes (sp?) gets the whip around his throat. So much better in the novel. I was horribly underwhelmed.

And Tyrion, the Imp and Dwarf, is by far the greatest character in both novel and show so far but I'm only part-way through the novel and so will have to stop at episode 4 at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 am

Read the entire series since I started this thread.

I have to say that it's an exercise in diminishing returns, I found each new volume to be inferior to the one before.

I also don't know how he possibly hopes to wrap all the individual story-lines up in just two more books. Not if he wants to do all of them equal justice.
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am

This does not fill me with hope, Oppers.

OH WELL ... I'll keep reading to see.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 am

Well to give you some hope: the critics seem to largely disagree with me on that. The last book was (apparently) the best reviewed of the lot.

The main difference from my perspective is that I felt his first book (and to a certain extent, the second as well) was a much more focused effort. The last three are just screaming for a more stringent editor. There is a lot of clutter in there. Especially the Tyrion chapters after A Clash of Kings are filled with story-lines that are of no consequence and ultimately take us nowhere.

Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Ah, right. Yes, I can see that happening very easily.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 1:50 pm

So I've seen the first two episodes, and I really don't get what all the fuss is about. So far I've seen a lot of flat writing, stilted direction, and poor performances (to say nothing of the thoroughly cliche production design and score). I understand that the first two episodes aren't the best, but really, I didn't expect them to be so mediocre. Not even Sean Bean brings life to the proceedings. If it weren't for Peter Dinklage, I'd have died of boredom.

ROME, for all its shortcomings, is much better than this.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:11 am

Beware Harms, it only gets marginally better. And that's mostly attributable to Alan Taylor rather than the writers suddenly figuring out what on earth they're doing.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Everyone was going on about this, so I decided to watch the first season.

Writing and acting was pretty unremarkable. Basically your stock medieval/fantasy characters spouting stock medieval/fantasy dialogue. Dinklage's character is the exception to some degree, hence he's the only character I wasn't entirely apathetic or disdainful towards.

I thought the last two episodes were a bit of a letdown. Tyrion getting knocked out right before the battle... yeah, you cheap bastards didn't want to film a big clash of armies, huh? laugh

Also thought it was odd that the final episode ended with blondie's storyline. I felt it would've been more appropriate to manufacture a cliffhanger ending revolving around the Stark-Lannister conflict which is the primary storyline you'd think. The problem with the last episode is that it has neither a sense of resolution nor a gripping cliffhanger ending. It just fizzles out.

Speaking of blondie, just how fast did she go from frightened virgin girl to ruthless barbarian-humper? laugh

Having said all that, I won't deny that I found it reasonably entertaining. I usually have no time for medieval/fantasy TV shows (except for Xena... everyone loves Xena) so I commend Game of Thrones for compelling me to watch the entire season. It's one of those shows that's suited to chain-watching. So yeah, I'll give the second season a shot, even if the finale of season one didn’t leave me on the edge of my seat.

On the matter of tits & ass, it wasn't as gratuitous as many people had made it out to be. It's not as bad as Underbelly which cuts to rooting every couple of scenes.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 am

I'd agree that it's not as good as "Rome", certainly not as good as the first season of "Rome".

I did find it thoroughly entertaining and having now read the novels, I am looking forward to what the second season should/might bring. The budget has been raised, so we should get fewer "oh, Tyrion got knocked out and missed the epic battle" moments.

Though it's impossible to do huge battles on a TV budget, even if you are working on an HBO budget.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:02 am

Quote :
Also thought it was odd that the final episode ended with blondie's storyline. I felt it would've been more appropriate to manufacture a cliffhanger ending revolving around the Stark-Lannister conflict which is the primary storyline you'd think. The problem with the last episode is that it has neither a sense of resolution nor a gripping cliffhanger ending. It just fizzles out.

That's the big thing. Either the editors have no idea what they're doing or the writers don't know what a climax is.

Well, besides when it involves prostitutes rooting each other for expository purposes.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 am

Game of Thrones - Page 2 8T2eq

Lol'd at Eddard/Gore.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 am

^ Ned Stark and Al Gore laugh "always going on about climate change"

I just started watching Season One. A friend loaned me the dvd set and basically ordered me to watch it, so we could talk about it, I guess.

I don't mind the show. It moves at a kind of laborious pace, so I'm not sure that I would have come back to it, if watching it only once a week, but on dvd, you can relax and plough through it.

Best part are the loyal direwolves. I'm only half-way through. I really hope the evil spawn-of-incest-brat-prince gets ripped apart by wolves by the time we are done, preferably by the wolf that the little girl let loose in the forest - the one that mauled his arm in the first place.

Mark Addy is funny. Sean Bean is a dullard. Lena Heady looks great. I can't say there is really any character that I relate to. They are a rather unimpressive lot, but the show manages to plod along and hold my interest.

I perk up everytime one of the wolves appears on screen though.

What great looking beasts!

Edit: Nice finish to Season One. Love the bit with the dragons. The Dragon-girl storyline has real possibilties and it looks like House Stark is about to go all Michael Corleone on it's enemies. And then there is the mystery of what might lie beyond the Wall. Some brief but good wolf scenes in the final episodes. Those loyal direwolves are awesome.

In the extras, the animal trainer said they were wolf-like Innuit Dogs. I'm moving to the country someday and getting a dog that looks like a wolf.

Game of Thrones - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSZfYlfMFEiC2SxHnFjizzBLIUCjCRMR9rR7FdxFgRt_8Z8NHPnJfdn2BaGame of Thrones - Page 2 DSC03859-1

Game of Thrones - Page 2 NorthernInuitDogFreya14wksGame of Thrones - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3oQLGKloCviuHsOBBYrFRjRcOaI_vLgRVTLsR_GM3Vagc6NNkKXVx3lH4
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 am

I am finally starting to enjoy this show a couple of episodes into the second season and viewed back-to-back. The addition of Alan Taylor makes a big difference - the show looks a lot richer visually. And the story is not nearly as laborious. Something actually happens/develops in each episode. Scenes seem to have a purpose rather than just throwing characters together to deliver exposition.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 am

Vesper wrote:
Something actually happens/develops in each episode. Scenes seem to have a purpose rather than just throwing characters together to deliver exposition.

Not to be a downer, but you're not gonna care much for season three's opener. laugh

Big problem for me remains the fact that there's too many damned storylines. It's not that I can't follow, but you basically end up with a paltry amount of exposure per character, per episode. I haven't read the books so I don't know if there's a way to streamline it all without pissing off purists.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 am

I still think it doesn't really work as a tv show. Can't fault its ambition though.

I do think it works much, much better viewed in blocks of episodes. I found the first season terrible but watching the second series right now in marathon form it's a lot more interesting. I think I'll do that with the third season.

Still, ROME still worked much, much better. HBO were beyond nuts to axe it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next