More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Goldfinger in review

Go down 
+13
Makeshift Python
AMC Hornet
hegottheboot
CJB
Control
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
ironpony
lachesis
Perilagu Khan
j7wild
SJK91
Fae
Fort Knox
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

Goldfinger in review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 am

The magic in what they did on GF was downplay Bond being a captive. You tend to forget about it when watching the film because Bond maintains his cool and composure as if he were walking around freely.

GF is still part of the first three film trinity where the success had not yet tainted the franchise purity.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 9:47 am

It's in my top 10 Bond movies but not sure if I put it in my top 5 or even would consider it to be the best one like a lot of fans do.

I think the reason of what keeps it from being the best is it does feel a lot like an introductory Bond film, which it is, since it started the formula, but it feels like it doesn't go beyond being an introductory Bond movie when you watch it, unless I'm wrong?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 11:02 pm

It has a different tone and flavor and is more leisurely paced with moments of energy like DN and FRWL which makes it an oddball when compared to the others. Plus it has the richer writing tone that I think came from Paul Dehn which was sorely lacking in their later numerous attempts to redo Goldfinger's style.

Arguably I think if the third film had been serious outright like FRWL it would have been just as successful. It was the buildup of success from DN and FRWL that paved the way for GF to take over the world and then for TB to be even bigger.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Watched GF this weekend. It was the first Bond film I watched in 25 months, and the first time I'd watched GF since New Year's Day, 2016. And I must say, it was entirely enjoyable--perhaps my best ever viewing of this film. If you do find yourself getting burned out on Bond, I recommend taking a long haitus. The batteries really do recharge.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Watched GF this weekend. It was the first Bond film I watched in 25 months, and the first time I'd watched GF since New Year's Day, 2016. And I must say, it was entirely enjoyable--perhaps my best ever viewing of this film. If you do find yourself getting burned out on Bond, I recommend taking a long haitus. The batteries really do recharge.

It helps a lot to keep viewings minimal so they feel fresh. I used to watch the films a ton before 2012, and after that consciously decided to keep it minimal so that when I do watch an installment again it would feel fresher.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 pm

I'll echo those sentiments. I didn't watch any last year (except OHMSS at Christmas) so they've all been a real treat to rewatch this year. So much so that I ended up rewatching some of them very soon, as I mentioned in another thread. I plan to watch LALD around Halloween and OHMSS at Christmas and, ignoring the 3 Craig's travesties, I'd have watched them all this year.

Will this kick off a Bondathon before Bond 25, PK?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
I'll echo those sentiments. I didn't watch any last year (except OHMSS at Christmas) so they've all been a real treat to rewatch this year. So much so that I ended up rewatching some of them very soon, as I mentioned in another thread. I plan to watch LALD around Halloween and OHMSS at Christmas and, ignoring the 3 Craig's travesties, I'd have watched them all this year.

Will this kick off a Bondathon before Bond 25, PK?

Possibly. Haven't really decided. My Bond watching used to be very structured--one Bond film every three weeks on a rotational basis of my own devising. I don't really want to go back to that. Maybe I'll just watch one whenever I feel like it, but not too often. Next on the docket, though, is TLD.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 4:13 am

Heck I couldn't live with myself if I wasn't re-watching the series chronologically at least twice a year. Then I always cap it off with CR67 and NSNA for good measure.

October is classic horror binge, November is Thanksgiving and Bond, December is Capra and others for the holidays and so on.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
Heck I couldn't live with myself if I wasn't re-watching the series chronologically at least twice a year. Then I always cap it off with CR67 and NSNA for good measure.

October is classic horror binge, November is Thanksgiving and Bond, December is Capra and others for the holidays and so on.

How long have you been doing this? I kept up a steady diet of Bond films for about 12 years before feeling the need to give them a rest.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 4:32 am

Since I was a kid and the annual TBS marathons happened every Thanksgiving.
Then again they put a lot of wear and tear on us out there in the field...
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 11:03 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
The magic in what they did on GF was downplay Bond being a captive. You tend to forget about it when watching the film because Bond maintains his cool and composure as if he were walking around freely.

GF is still part of the first three film trinity where the success had not yet tainted the franchise purity.

I could never tell if he was really being held captive or just pretending they had him while he collected information.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 pm

hegottheboot wrote:

That's a very good point Boots. I never realised until I jumped on these pesky boards that he's really not doing much in the way of driving the story forward in the second half, and that's because they still do keep Bond active in ruffling feathers and the whole homer/Solo sequence.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 am

I didn't either until peeking into Bond forums. The novel makes the confinement much more obvious and I still can't believe the audaciousness of Fleming's plot with the Mob boss army etc and secretary Bond+Tilly etc.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Mmm, Goldfinger, i always questioned the immense popularity of this entry in the series, you could ask anybody what's your favourite Bond film and almost without thinking they would reply Goldfinger!...Fuck yeah, that car with the ejector seat...amazing!....Well, no actually, Goldfinger is ok but look past the DB5 and the pre title sequence and you have a rather plodding film about a bank heist. The criminal mastermind is possibly the least menacing in the series and Bond spends most of the film in captivity.
The good points?...The best PTS in the series, great title song and a fine performance from Connery, sure the DB5 is cool but to be honest the much anticipated ejector seat shot is a real anti climax, they should have shot that sucker clear over the rooftops instead he kinda pops out the sunroof like a limp dick. Sure Goldfinger is decent but lets not get carried away by the critical opinion of people that don't know better
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 am

Expecting the ejector seat to do what you describe is frankly asking too much of mid-60s special effects.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 1:43 pm

I disagree with this assessment. Like DN, GF has shot up immensely in my ranking. It's a simple story, sure, but that makes it such a breeze to watch. It's not bloated to something it doesn't need to be (CR should have been as lean as GF!). It's populated by great, iconic characters, excellent dialogue, wonderful sets and music.  

Bond isn't captive for most of the movie. At best, he's captive for half of it, but he's constantly working towards escaping captivity. That's what makes the second half so interesting for me these days: seeing how Bond is going to get out of it when his gadgets fail him and there's literally no way out. It also helps build the tension because we're forced to wait until the very last minute for Bond to solve it. If anything it was a mistake for the CIA to defuse the bomb, however since Bond gave his best performance in the bedroom barn with Pussy, his actions ultimately did save the day.

As for the ejector seat, it's better the way it is. Having it zoom right over the rooftops would have been a little too cartoonish. There's a technical, analogue vibe to the mechanics of the gadget with it being just enough to pop out over the car.
Back to top Go down
Thunderpussy
Cipher Clerk
Thunderpussy

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 9:39 pm

I didn't get to see Goldfinger until it was shown on ITV one Christmas day, and as a kid I was mightily impressed. In fact for ages I had the toy DB5. With GF the producers got their " Formula" finalised and indeed used it as the template for future Bond films.
   Once again with GF we get some excellent casting Gert Fröbe is Goldfinger admittedly voiced by Michael Collins " No Mr Bond, I expect you to Die !"  Harold Sakata is brilliant as Oddjob  and of course the beautiful Honor Blackman. Hard to Imagine any others in these parts. Although I was amazed to discover that Theodore Bikel had been considered for Goldfinger.
   The pre-credit sequence is a little bigger in scale with Bond killing one assailant in the bath with an
electric heater, a scene usually cut from TV screenings. Guy Hamilton's directing gives a more polished movie and all the set pieces are handled well. a few highlights  Bond about to get cut in Half , the fight in and around Fort Knox.
    We get a huge Ballad from Dame Shirley Bassey, who to hit the last high note had to remove her Bra !  John Barry gives another tremendous score, It's not one of my Favourite Bond films but I do rate it Highley the script is very witty  without being overly funny. It has one of my favourite insults from Bond to a villain. Goldfinger showing off his horse says " A fine looking animal Mr Bond " to get Bond's cutting reply " Certainly better bred than it's owner !"
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 12:08 am

That is an underrated and beautifully venomous quip Bond shoots out at Goldfinger.

Great summary, TP! I used to have it sit perhaps just outside my top 10, but in the last couple of years my appreciation for it has deepened. It could easily sit in my top 5.

Well, any of my top 12 could sit in my top 5.
Back to top Go down
Thunderpussy
Cipher Clerk
Thunderpussy

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 am

I can understand that ranking system. colgate similar to my own
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goldfinger in review   Goldfinger in review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Goldfinger in review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2