More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Twin Peaks

Go down 
+6
Jack Wade
Largo's Shark
Makeshift Python
Salomé
Fairbairn-Sykes
The White Tuxedo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 am

It's on Netflix Instant. Just watched the pilot again after a couple years. It's the third time I've seen it, and it still rocks me to the core. Maybe this time more than ever. It's not just simply "weird". It's haunting, surreal, and beautiful. I actually find it very warm and heartfelt, and everyone slowly learning of Laura's death was actually wrenching to me. Almost no one can pull of TV like this. It's just about the single best piece of television that I've ever seen.

The pilot, especially in the first half, is entrancing.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 am

Pilot, Eps. 1, 2, 5, 7-9, 11, 14, 16, 26, 29 are good.

TWIN PEAKS was a show that when it was good it was GOOD and when it was bad it was BAD.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 am

From my memory, the whole first season was good. Basically, I liked everything until you-know-who LELAND PALMER dies.

I actually didn't care for the finale. And I didn't care for Windom Earle at all. About the only thing I liked from late in the show was Lynch himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Eh7CJamGE#t=27s
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 9:06 am

I still think the classroom scene where everyone learns of Laura's death is a wonderful piece of visual storytelling. Amazing what can be done with just a glance and an empty desk.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 am

Episode 1

It sure ain't the pilot. The reintroduction of Coop, where he's hanging upside down and pondering on JFK, is just silly. But it picks up. That scene with Donna and her mom is beautiful.

I don't know who I'm in love with more: Audrey Horne or Donna Hayward. Talk about sugar and spice. Along with Shelly Johnson they make up three of the most insanely desirable women ever to be on TV.

Speaking of Johnsons, I'd personally like to cut off Leo's. That's one thing I did like from later in the series, when Leo became a veggie.

Piper Laurie. What a name, what a dame.

I love my soapies!

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Piper Laurie. What a name, what a dame.!
So many nominations, so few awards.

She should be canonised for her performances in The Hustler and Carrie alone. Mind you, sainthood is posthumous...
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:56 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Episode 2

It sure ain't the pilot. The reintroduction of Coop, where he's hanging upside down and pondering on JFK, is just silly. But it picks up. That scene with Donna and her mom is beautiful.

I don't know who I'm in love with more: Audrey Horne or Donna Hayward. Talk about sugar and spice. Along with Shelly Johnson they make up three of the most insanely desirable women ever to be on TV.

All three went through very strange character shifts in season 2, but Donna's were the worst because they were compleletely unmotivated and the entire character seemed to change from episode to episode for no reason.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 pm

ambler wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Piper Laurie. What a name, what a dame.!
So many nominations, so few awards.

She should be canonised for her performances in The Hustler and Carrie alone. Mind you, sainthood is posthumous...

Loved her in HUSTLER, still have to see CARRIE.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Episode 2

I wish Lynch had directed every episode of the series. Episode 1 (which I had incorrectly called Episode 2 above) felt more like television. This was more toward the pilot. It wasn't as good, but it had some great moments. Jerry, Audrey's dance, Albert, and the dwarf. I wish I could have been watching this on 19 April (me mum's birthday), 1990. I at least would love to see the footage of people's reactions to the dream sequence.

That shit still works. The bottle breaking scene is a little iffy to me, but that dream. None of the other director's could have hoped to have accomplished that. So much of the episode is infused with whatever the hell it is that Lynch can do. It's not simply that the visuals are strange, but the feeling is. Anyone can film a midget dancing around. That alone counts for 12.5% of the internet; 14.7% if you include them naked. But I don't how Lynch achieves his... Lynchness. Does the sound play a part in that? I know the ruffling sound here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwl1w0yFGk#t=2m20s is very unsettling to me. As is the phrase, "death bag". WTF is a death bag!? That's freaky. I really wanna know how Lynch does this stuff. He's also very good with color. Nadine's living room has that weird pink. I always thought Dorothy's apartment in BLUE VELVET was amazing.

Aside from all of that it's great to see Miguel Ferrer. One of my favorite character actors.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:44 am

I've had a strange desire to watch the pilot, so I did tonight. It remains one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen.

And I think Shelly has trumped Audrey for me. Jesus, Lynch gets the best women.

Twin Peaks 400full
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 am

Look out for Shelly in TNG.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:49 am

I know, that ridiculous Dauphin episode. But good Lord was she a sight. Looked in fine shape on MAD MEN.

Boyle has morphed into Tim Curry ca. 1975.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2535056/David-Lynch-returns-Twin-Peaks-director-begins-shooting-new-footage-beloved-cult-series.html
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Looking forward to getting that set, especially with all that deleted footage from FIRE WALK WITH ME.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:21 am

Got that blu-ray set when it came out. It was my first time revisiting the show (first watch was in 2009), so it was quite amazing to remember what it was about this show I fell in love with, and how horrified I was on how bad it got later. Then there was FIRE WALK WITH ME in the set. I probably admire it more than I like it. It ain't the show, that's certain. I wanna give that another watch. I do think the Moira Kelly actually fits much better as Donna than Boyle did. Not that Boyle was bad, but she always came off too spiteful and strong as Donna, whereas with Kelly I can believe that she's this girl who's out of her league when trying to be just like her best friend, and that Laura feels she needs to protect her from the kind of world she's gotten into.

The 90 minutes of deleted material. Once or twice I genuinely forgot I was only watching bonus material, and not a whole film. It was nice to see a lot of the characters from the show that got cut from the film, but I very much understand why they had to go. I suspect Lynch was making this film as a fan for the fans, which is why the film isn't very accessible to anyone who didn't watch the show. Seeing those deleted scenes confirmed it. It also reinforces how TWIN PEAKS was way ahead of its time for television. This day and age with original cable and streaming programs would have been an ideal place.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:13 am

Sometimes it seems everything I watch is trying to be Twin Peaks. Most blatant examples would be The Returned and Bates Motel, but TP's nonlinear storytelling crops up all over the place even if Lost seems to get most of the credit. Haven't seen it since it first aired, I shouldd add, but I might revisit it on bluray. God, discs seem so pointless these days...
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am

Have you watched True Detective, Ambler? It's all the rage in this Post-Breaking Bad world. Ain't my cup of tea, but it's probably up your street.

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Mixed Idioms R Us - Orwell's spinning in his grave)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Why is my cup of tea up your street? Is this some sexual euphemism my Friday Afternoon has yet to tell me about?

Not seen true detective. Hell, I've not seen game of thrones. Albania is somewhat cutoff from what's happening.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Shit, it's Friday already? Must quit the booze.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
God, discs seem so pointless these days...

Their only novelty now is special features. I'm giving up/selling a lot of DVDs, but some I'm keeping because they have some great bonus stuff. TWIN PEAKS especially. I haven't mined through it all, but I hear there's one where Lynch interviews the Palmer family, with the actors in character. I don't expect anything less stranger from Lynch.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Hmmm.... A third series has been announced by Showtime for 2016.

Sounds a bad idea, but apparently David Lynch will direct and cowrite all nine episodes.

Mark Frost is onboard. Another original lineup reforms.

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/519147574381379584
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm

It's interesting that the likely air date would indeed be 25 years (roughly) after the last episode aired.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

A lot of people are excited about this. They must have forgotten Season 2 and how shitty it was.

I'm hoping this new series has a tone similar to the film, which was genuinely eerie and disturbing. It was a little messy, but I liked it.

Maybe Chester Desmond will return. And Phillip Jefferies. Madchen Amick isn't looking like she used to, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 pm

If given free reign, I'm confident this will work out. Bringing back Frost is great too, cause his absence was one of the things that made the film feel off. What worked best on the show was that Frost handled the storylines and Lynch gave it the atmosphere and humor. I look forward to this.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 am

A shame Kyle MacLachlan's not on board. Won't be the same without him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Twin Peaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twin Peaks   Twin Peaks Empty

Back to top Go down

Twin Peaks
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next