More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today Empty
PostSubject: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 11:51 pm

Sometimes I overthink things and after talking to Fields off-site, I will put it here. How would certain characters be today with the current world politics from when we first meet them? For instance, Wai Lin -China is much more dominant and on a concrete setting since 1997. Anya Amasova and even Pola Ivanova since 1977 and 1985 respectively with Russia losing communism but under Putin?

For instance, I can't help but think, however the actress, that Triple X would be solidly behind Putin's running of Russia. That Wai Lin would somehow have changed and not be swayed by Bond.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 1:01 am

I'd say Anya and Pola would be warmer to Bond than Wai Lin would be. Unflinchingly patriotic, though there's a part of me that thinks (or hopes) that China's current regime would irk Wai Lin's better judgement, and she'd flirt with the idea of "decadence" while investigating the corrupt as she did Chang in TND.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 7:31 am

Given the establishment has spent 4+ years in a state of apoplectic rage at the Orange One, installed by Russia in their minds, I think characters like XXX and Pola are less likely now. Back then Bond allying with Russians subverted the prevailing political climate, in a sense, whereas these days just about every film exists to re-enforce the climate.

I think a Chinese ally à la Wai Lin could still be done. Hollywood is all too happy to (don't make me say it) kowtow to the PRC, given the size of the Chinese audience and China's broader economic and political sway.

Babs and friends will follow the liberal zeitgeist on these matters. Biden sanctioned Russia over Navalny's poisoning but boils three million Uyghurs in gulags down to "different cultural norms."
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 am

Wasn't there something about a disagreement over the 'direction' of a Russian character in NTTD being the reason Danny Boyle walked?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Sound and valid points CJB, Fields. Wai Lin personally has the most change in store re: with China's fortunes changing. I wonder how Pam Bouvier would be like now. Maybe even a higher up in Homeland Security or CIA.

Bibi was Trump's deputy press secretary. whistle

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Wasn't there something about a disagreement over the 'direction' of a Russian character in NTTD being the reason Danny Boyle walked?

I think so, sounds likely. Makes me think we won't get these kind of characters in the films anymore. Even the likes of Oddjob or Dr No.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 pm

Hilly wrote:

Bibi was Trump's deputy press secretary.  whistle

"I'll buy you an ice cream. I buy the best ice creams. No one knows more about ice creams than I do, believe me. People tell me - and this has happened for many, many years - sir, you have tremendous taste in ice creams. I have always liked ice creams and I have always been very, very good at eating ice creams."
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 11:13 am

And then drops the ice-cream down his suit jacket within 5 seconds of buying it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 11:42 am

Hilly wrote:
I think so, sounds likely. Makes me think we won't get these kind of characters in the films anymore. Even the likes of Oddjob or Dr No.

That's a depressing thought. Though Hinx inspires hope. And Malek's patchy skin.

As for the Russians, I can only imagine Boyle's take was becoming too political because of the person/film maker he is... but I don't think that Babs would necessarily object to a Russian villain. I mean, Boyle would have pitched her the idea to begin with but it was only upon reading their fleshed out drafts/outline I presume she realised exactly what he had in mind.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Malek's appearance does hint at the series' classic 'villain taking his disability/disfigurement out on the world' trope, which in the 'age of woke' frankly gladdens the heart.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 7:20 pm

I guess he does hint at the world before, that disfigured out of the world villain we used to have. I have a hope that post-Craig we get a taste of villains before but wonder.

Maybe in thirty years I'll be bitching that the early 21st century was better, haha
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 am

Just tell good stories and the concerns disappear. Social mores of the time are inherent to any storytelling so if the story is good it will be PC of 2021-which of course will likely be seen as problematic in 2091.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today   Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today Empty

Back to top Go down

Shifting Sands: Our Heroines Today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Bond: General News & General Discussion-
Jump to: