More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Iconic moments

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
You don’t know me
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
You don’t know me

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Iconic moments   Iconic moments EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 4:59 pm

Hey all. I hope everyone is well and still somewhat sane after 2 years of covid.

I read a post recently where the poster (I forget who) commented on how Daniel Craig really only has a couple of iconic moments (Do I look like I give a damn? and Bond, James Bond at the end of CR) and opined on how those aren’t really Craig moments as they are extensions of previously established tropes. While I agree with that sentiment, the same could be said for any actor who isn’t Connery when it comes to those particular tropes. Which got me thinking, are there any iconic tropes that were originated by actors other than Connery? And I don’t necessarily mean personal quirks or idiosyncrasies specific to one actor, but rather, an aspect that has come to be inextricably linked to the Bond franchise near or on par with the martini order or name introduction? Something that, when seen or heard, would make one think of the James Bond franchise as a whole and not just of one particular actor?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iconic moments   Iconic moments EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 10:34 pm

I can't really think of anything. It always feels like Connery is Bond and the rest are just playing him.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iconic moments   Iconic moments EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 5:33 am

This is a great question, and I’m racking my brain...but I think not?

At least in terms of story tropes. I think the actors have influenced each other in their own ways, leaving lingering traces in subsequent Bond’s performances. For example, and even though Connery invented it, Moore’s ability to deliver the quip had to be in the minds of Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig whenever they were called to do so.

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iconic moments   Iconic moments EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 6:44 am

Yes - Moore had the Union Flag parachute, which is perhaps the most iconic post-Connery Bond moment.

I'd also put the crocodile-skipping up there.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iconic moments   Iconic moments EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 3:19 pm

During LTK's escape from the Wavekrest sequence, I found myself thinking this is going to be the setpiece that defines Dalton, because you get a full emotional range from rage when he is killing the bags of heroin and the underwater camera to sheer joy after his escape as the wind whips the money against his grinning face. That last image (despite the cruddy process work) really showed me where I'd like to see Bond go, delivering genuine thrills plus character, and even though everybody usually points to his TLD reveal as his Bond frame, I like this a lot more.

If he had done a couple more, and they had plumbed this territory of character and emotion w/o going off the Craig end of things, it might have been a different kind of turning point in the films, so it for me is a 'could have been iconic' moment (and it took me days to figure out how to word this and reply.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Iconic moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iconic moments   Iconic moments Empty

Back to top Go down

Iconic moments
Page 1 of 1