More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Bullitt (1968)

Go down 
+2
Largo's Shark
JohnDrake
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JohnDrake
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
JohnDrake

Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 12:23 am

I think this was her debut Hollywood feature film so she had plenty of time to develop as an actress. It was the same thing with George Lazenby with OHMSS being his first ever film and after that, even if he didn't become the big star he was supposed to be, he did quite a lot of films including some HK actioners.

At the moment, I'm reading Mute Witness by Robert L. Pike, the 1963 novel that Bullitt is based on. The main character is called Lt. Clancy, the story's set in New York, the baddie is called Rossi and instead of Delgetti, Bullitt's right hand man is called Kaproski and he's a big guy. Clancy talks a lot more than Bullitt and has more of a bad temper and a bit of backstory - before Chalmers gave him the Rossi assignment, he had it in for Clancy anyway because he had shot dead his witness. That must have inspired the airport finale of the movie.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 12:39 am

JohnDrake wrote:
I think this was her debut Hollywood feature film so she had plenty of time to develop as an actress. It was the same thing with George Lazenby with OHMSS being his first ever film and after that, even if he didn't become the big star he was supposed to be, he did quite a lot of films including some HK actioners.

Sure, but Peter Hunt managed to bring a decent performance out of a Lazenby, plus a few a standout scenes.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 7:53 am

Sharky wrote:
Chigawa wrote:
Honestly, what's not to love?

Jacqueline Bissets acting. Seriously. I guess Julie Christie and Susannah York weren't available.

I remember being a bit unimpressed with Jackie Bisset in my sole viewing of BULLITT - not that she was given much to do anyway...

Back to top Go down
JohnDrake
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
JohnDrake

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:32 pm

That's right. First and foremost, this was a police action thriller about an assignment gone wrong so you didn't expect much in the way of romance. Jackie was only there as window dressing and interesting to point out there's no love interest in Mute Witness.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:51 pm

JohnDrake wrote:
That's right. First and foremost, this was a police action thriller about an assignment gone wrong so you didn't expect much in the way of romance. Jackie was only there as window dressing and interesting to point out there's no love interest in Mute Witness.

Exactly. It feels contrived, shoe-horned in.

Frank Bullitt's love interest is his 68 Mustang Fastback.
Back to top Go down
JohnDrake
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
JohnDrake

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:20 pm

You got that right. And the hitmen's interest is their GTO Dodge Charger but that goes up in flames along with them.

I've read up to the part in Mute Witness where the cops hide the Rossi stand-in's body. After that, things will sure get interesting as they investigate further into the dead man, although there won't be a car chase. ;)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullitt (1968)   Bullitt (1968) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bullitt (1968)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2