More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Keeping Bond And Beyond alive

Go down 
+28
6of1
Harmsway
Santa
RobDudley
Gravity's Silhouette
Louis Armstrong
Salomé
Hilly
Fae
Perilagu Khan
colly
G section
Chang
Largo's Shark
Control
Ravenstone
Blunt Instrument
retrokitty
Seve
bondfan06
tiffanywint
Fort Knox
lalala2004
GeneralGogol
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
CJB
Lazenby.
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

Keeping Bond And Beyond alive Empty
PostSubject: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:47 am

What can we change to keep this place alive and vital? How do we become more motivated to post here more often?

New members? Of course, we need 'em, but where can we get them from? We've scoured CB.n and MI6, and (as LS recently noted) Facebook-scouring may just lead to some of the faceless zero-post drones which have infested NuMI6 pointlessly turning up here and contributing little or nothing, so we need to make an effort to find lagging (or limited) film forums with quality posters, maybe film mag messageboards and the like could be an option, try to find some potential good posters in those places....?

A forum makeover? A couple of posters the other day (I think it was Hilly and MP) said something about this site changing format or something for a few hours the other day before changing back again, so I'd guess that this is something M's already looking into, but maybe us lot as members can do some brainstorming in the suggestions thread with a view to possibly freshening up the look or layout of the site? It can become a bit repetitive and stale staring at the same old colours and layout day after day. But this stuff can be changed anytime if we request it.

Access to the forums? It's possibly more just a coincidence, but ever since the site was made completely visible without having to log in, the post count has been poor. If people had to log in to view the site (not to mention logged-in members having the convenience of the "quick reply" feature), it might encourage people to post more. It p*sses me off constantly seeing only three or four people logged in while there's about 8 or 9 people just browsing the site as "guests", obviously having little motivation to bother logging in while the whole site is readable. I think this should be changed back to how it was, with members having to log in or register in order to use this place. But what does everyone else think?

Mods, Ranks, etc? Anything need improving or altering in these areas? I dunno. I'm okay with it, but I don't know how anyone else feels about it. I know that nobody likes to look like an ass-kisser or anything, but there's quite a few members here who I'd like to see become full Mods on here, for the good of the site. Can that side of things be improved? It may only be a small thing, but it's something I suppose.

Less prominence for Bond-related stuff? Maybe put a bit more emphasis on the "Beyond" aspects of the site, at least until Bond 23 is properly up and running?

If anyone else has any suggestions or ideas, then now's definitely the time for them. Because, IMO, if this place goes to pot then we're left with not much by way of alternatives. We have the run of this place with little or no admin interference plus a heck of a lot of freedom of speech, not to mention us having an unbeatable collection of great posters here. I won't go all Barack Obama or Roland Emmerich on this, but this great place is worth fighting for and can survive anything, given the intelligence of the members here. So let's make it happen. Ideas anyone?

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:38 am

I think going back to "hiding" the forum from non-registered users is worth a shot. Perhaps a trial period of 30 days. There's little incentive for a curious observer to register and post with the forum in its present state.

I can't say I would agree with reducing the emphasis on Bond. A forum needs a central premise, a raison d'etre. The problem seems to be (and I too am guilty) is that any desire to discuss Bond and create threads on Bond seems to have died off with Ye Olde Forum. External factors are hurting us as well. There hasn't been a Bond film since 2008 and there won't be another one till 2012.

Ultimately I'm not sure if we can centrally plan, for lack of a better term, growth in forum activity. Actively seeking new recruits could help, but I think it's really just up to us to create new threads and foment more debate and discourse.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:47 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with the site itself, it's just that as far as Bond related things go it's been quite dead with little news and the fact that a majority of members here have already talked to death of all things Bond 1953-2008. I think it's a combination of being a relatively small site, not much Bond news, and posters taking a break from it all.

Just bad timing. I have barely posted in the Bond related section since the forum relaunched, most of my activity has been in the non-Bond section (though I did the same thing when MI6 was still up).

I see it more as hibernation than dying. Sooner or later there will be more topics as the next Bond film rolls into production. Give it time.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:27 am

Makeshift Python wrote:

I see it more as hibernation than dying.

That's how I prefer to look at it, but felt the need to create this topic when I noticed a couple of our species had completely deserted the forest as opposed to just hibernating in the trees. :evil:

Still, as long as everyone here right now is fully on board, there's no reason we can't build the place back up with some good posts. Heck, there's more than enough great posters here to do that.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:51 am

Lazenby. wrote:
It's been quiet lately, and I'm as guilty as anyone (if not moreso) of making far fewer posts recently.

But what can we change to keep this place alive and vital? How do we become more motivated to post here more often?

New members? Of course, we desperately need 'em, but where can we get them from? We've scoured CB.n and MI6, and (as LS recently noted) Facebook-scouring may just lead to some of the faceless zero-post drones which have infested NuMI6 pointlessly turning up here and contributing little or nothing, so we need to make an effort to find lagging (or limited) film forums with quality posters, maybe film mag messageboards and the like could be an option, try to find some potential good posters in those places....?
I've given Bond and Beyond's site to 2 people. One hasn't bothered logging on, and the other (Pussy Galore 69) doesn't post. It's hard trying to find people with this interest. I know my Media teacher is very much interested in James Bond. Maybe he might like to join up... I think new blood is what we need. Like what Perilagu Khan said - everyone here knows my mostly controversial thoughts on Bond. I love TND, TWINE, Arnold, retro Bond, DAF score, Fields, etc. I just think we need some more members, coupled with Bond 23 news to get discussion going again.

Actually, given Jeffery Deaver's recent interviews, we could possibly get a copy of Carte Blanche and have a discussion about that....? To be honest, as I'm now getting more into the novels than the films, I'd love to see a boost in discussion over in the OO7 Literature section. I've posted a few discussin threads (one being FYEO which no one has replied to) because I like reading conversation about Bond. Of course I'll add my input, but as long as others do to. I'm just as much guilty for reading though and not posting. That's mainly because of the lack of discussion with Bond - what I'm here for mostly.

Quote :
A forum makeover? A couple of posters the other day (I think it was Hilly and MP) said something about this site changing format or something for a few hours the other day before changing back again, so I'd guess that this is something M's already looking into, but maybe us lot as members can do some brainstorming in the suggestions thread with a view to possibly freshening up the look or layout of the site? It can become a bit repetitive and stale staring at the same old colours and layout day after day. But this stuff can be changed anytime if we request it.
I quite like the layout here. It's very easy to use and I love the colour scheme. As we learned from MI6 - some things best left untouched. That's probably not the reason why people aren't posting.

Quote :
Access to the forums? It's possibly more just a coincidence, but ever since the site was made completely visible without having to log in, the post count has been poor. If people had to log in to view the site (not to mention logged-in members having the convenience of the "quick reply" feature), it might encourage people to post more. It p*sses me off constantly seeing only three or four people logged in while there's about 8 or 9 people just browsing the site as "guests", obviously having little motivation to bother logging in while the whole site is readable. I think this should be changed back to how it was, with members having to log in or register in order to use this place. But what does everyone else think?
This could be something, espeically because I'm guilty of this - particularly if I'm in a hurry. Few members have joined since opening the locks. If we possibly limit the amount of sections opened to the public and restrict guests from posting, maybe that'll tempt potential members to knock on the doors.

Quote :
Mods, Ranks, etc? Anything need improving or altering in these areas? I dunno. I'm okay with it, but I don't know how anyone else feels about it. I know that nobody likes to look like an ass-kisser or anything, but there's quite a few members here who I'd like to see become full Mods on here, for the good of the site. Can that side of things be improved? It may only be a small thing, but it's something I suppose.
I'm happy to continue moderating. I come on everyday to make sure all is tidy, and it is. All the members here are mature and there is nothing much to clean up. Though maybe some of those 2 post threads at The Scratching Post....

Quote :
Less prominence for Bond-related stuff? Maybe put a bit more emphasis on the "Beyond" aspects of the site, at least until Bond 23 is properly up and running?
If anything, more prominence for the Bond related sections. I think the 'beyond' section is rather healthy considering the dwindling efforts in the other sectors.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:07 am

FieldsMan wrote:

I'm happy to continue moderating. I come on everyday to make sure all is tidy, and it is. All the members here are mature and there is nothing much to clean up.

Yep, the site always looks fine with no problems, and I'm more than happy with the choices made for mods here and would never want any of the main three mods changed. I was just wondering more whether a few more mod duties to non-mods who might be interested might help galvanise their interest in the place a bit, plus maybe something really cool or funny for the rank process to maybe give people incentive to post more often. I dunno, I guess it just can't harm to discuss ideas as much as possible, especially while the site is a bit quiet, you never know when we could hit upon a really good idea.

I'm definitely up for the log in process returning though, which is something I'd like others to comment on if possible just to see if there's enough backing for it to be reinstated.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm not against the idea of the message boards being hidden. But I really think it's just a downtime for all of us, until we start dissecting Bond 23 casting news, locations, photos, trailers, etc. I can't wait for that!
Back to top Go down
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:08 pm

I'll admit I had intentions of trying to be more active on here to keep things going, but my Bond fandom tends to come in spurts.

It will be back, and so will I. I've just been talking Bond for so long, it's difficult to keep it fresh and new. When more news of B23 comes around, or I have a renewed urge to watch the other films, I'll be good as new.
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:13 pm

It's good to see people being understanding about this quiet period because it's something most forums go through at some point, but at the same time if anyone has any good ideas for forum improvements, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Attracting new members might have a lot to do with how the site displays in Search Results.

From my own experience, I joined Mi6 back in 2007 because I was looking for a Bond chat board. I was becoming increasingly vexed at Matt Damon's (not one of my favourite people anyway) slagging of Bond as misogynist etc., and figured others must be thinking the same way in the on-line Bond community, which I knew had to exist
From the search result, I stumbled on Mi6 and a thread on the very topic, where I "met" members Khan and Ambler, also chiming in on the same topic. That was enough to stick around and expound on all things Bond and eventually other stuff.

How to get a high search engine ranking is not my field of expertise but I think it helps towards driving traffic and thus memberships.
Getting links placed all over the place also drives traffic.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I have been guilty of not posting very much but that's been due to my laziness and personal issues, nothing to do with this site. I am struggling to contribute much related to Bond but once casting and principal photography for B23 begin I am sure there will be plenty to contribute. I'm planning to read the Bond novels and review them in the summer if I get the time.

Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:46 am

as I posted elsewhere in response to a complaint by Ambler

to paraphrase Ron Dennis paraphrasing someone else
critical mass can only be sustained by continuing to add new energy
a regular flow of fresh blood means alternative opinions and different angles to discuss
as well new people to share the same old opinions with
that was the lifeblood that made the old site work, the interaction between the regulars and the newbies
sadly to a large extent this is missing from both sites at the moment

IMO the old site now has less informed opinion, but I often find it's the enthusiasm of new posters, although they may be "naïve" or "misguided", that is more likely to stimulate in me an urge to respond
it also seems to be generating more new "Bond related" threads
this site is populated by people who are often already very familiar with each others views and therefore have less reason to express them to each other further
personally I enjoy interacting with different people from both the groups of regulars, as well as the new people
so to me the way things are currently is somewhat frustrating and sad…

I joined MI6 because it came top of my Google search for "James Bond website" or something along those lines
because it proclaimed itself to be the most visited Bond site on the web
and because it didn't use a black background, which I find unpleasant to read from
MI6 also had a regular stream of new Bond related articles and headlines on up to date Bond news (and effectively still does although there is some superficial seperation now)
I guess building up a profile on "Google" is a matter of time and hits
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyThu May 26, 2011 5:04 am

Lazenby., with respect to some of your suggestions, I think the site looks fine - great even - so I wouldn't change that. In fact, I wouldn't jump to change anything yet. Sometimes things just need some time and breathing room.

I think ranks are fine, and post count is fine, but not if that is the only motive for people to post. And though you and M were really being fair with giving moderating duties to those who were interested, I think we all thought that was appropriate enough because we knew each other and that the privileges would not be abused. Therefore, I think keeping the modding thing out of the equation is best.

I check in almost daily but I have been very busy. I've tweeted about the forum and will continue to do so when Bond mentions appear.

Honestly, I think this forum will be fine. I'm looking forward to reconnecting with the peeps here in the summer when I have a bit more time.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyThu May 26, 2011 5:55 am

I think ranks is actually a tried and true web forum technique for generating active memberships. It gives members an incentive to participate actively upon joining and at least get to the frist non-newbie rank level and then take it from there.
It was a lot of fun on the old Destroyer site where I used to be a very active member, until the site sort of collapsed with the end of the 37 year novel series in 2008. We did try and achieve the different levels of Sinanju ranking culled from the book lore.

On a Bond site double 0 status should be the ultimate ranking. There are plenty of web precedents for post count intervals and I would suggest ranks be based on post count.

The old Mi6 system created a two tier membership which didn't always have a lot to do with one's Bond knowledge or enthusiasm for the character. It was inevitably arbitrary, seemed to involve playing the right politics vis a vis the powers that were etc but worst of all it took forever to achieve 00 status - like years and thousands of posts, when many IMO had proved their Bond bonafides and general coherence within a matter of months. And then they blew the whole thing up anyway so what really was it worth.

I think a tried and true fun ranking system is the way to go with the emphasis on participation.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:16 am

tiffanywint wrote:
I think ranks is actually a tried and true web forum technique for generating active memberships. It gives members an incentive to participate actively upon joining and at least get to the frist non-newbie rank level and then take it from there.

Good point, I think everyone probably hates having some kind of rank which basically just labels them a newbie when they register on a site. Might be an idea to come up with some kind of newbie rank which leads to the same rank level as the rest of us after a short amount of posts, just to give new members some added initial posting incentive....?

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:23 am

Just wanted to say that I see a decent amount of new posts every day in a variety of threads ... I think we're doing all right, for what it's worth :) .
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:41 pm

While I find some ranks amusing, I'm generally against them. Why should the number of posts made be any indication of anyone's worth?

My Bond interest is as great as ever, but what's there to talk about? I'm not exactly interested in discussing opinion, because a lot of the time it's pointless, and it can develop into negativeness. I'm happy to hear news. I like finding out things. But a board where one topic and one topic only is permitted does not interest me at all. I like variety. To me, a message board is like a meeting down the pub - we all enjoy similar interests, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing we talk about. Conversations ebb and flow, topics change, interest rates fluctuate.....

I think the board is ticking over quite well at the moment, despite hiccoughs and members leaving.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyFri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I don't think rankings reflect worth if they are based on post count. People know they got to participate to get the cute little name beside their username. Anyway I think ranks are harmless.
The old Mi6 worth system though was very odd and moved at the speed of a tedious Bond villain lecture to Bond.

Speaking of members leaving, Raven I think you and Ops need to track down Herr Ambler. He might listen to you two, his two favourite women in the whole world plus the rest of miss the risque repartee.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
He might listen to you two, his two favourite women in the whole world

I'm flattered you'd think that, but I think he has better taste in women than me ;) I'm sure Ambler will be back.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:04 am

Ravenstone wrote:

I'm flattered you'd think that, but I think he has better taste in women than me ;) I'm sure Ambler will be back.

I think he might have run off with Fae or Ops but he's coming back for you too. Ambler is legend, if not cantankerous legend.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:15 am

tiffanywint wrote:

I think he might have run off with Fae or Ops but he's coming back for you too.

Old faithful, that's me ;)

Well, sort of.

Well, okay - not that old, and not terribly fa...

Oh never mind.

;)
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 2:01 am

I suppose I better handcuff Rave, just in case.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 2:26 am

Don't forget the soap.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 3:35 am

The spirit of Ambler lives!
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive EmptySun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
I suppose I better handcuff Rave, just in case.

What? Free?

I love how you make that sound like a punishment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Bond And Beyond alive   Keeping Bond And Beyond alive Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping Bond And Beyond alive
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next