More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Carte Blanche reviews

Go down 
+28
Hilly
j7wild
saint mark
6of1
Harmsway
Loomis
Gravity's Silhouette
RobDudley
Santa
CJB
groucho070
colly
Blunt Instrument
trevanian
Largo's Shark
Aston_Martini
The White Tuxedo
Bounine
danslittlefinger
Louis Armstrong
Perilagu Khan
Vesper
Ravenstone
bondfan06
GeneralGogol
Fairbairn-Sykes
tiffanywint
jet set willy
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 am

It's telling that my girlfriend's favourite Bond is Sean Connery, a Man's Man.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 am

Just read Carte Blanche, and although it is a damn sight better than Devil May Care (not such a difficult feat) this novel still lacks the Fleming touch. Deaver does at least try to emulate Fleming's style, and for most part does a fairly decent attempt, Some nice twists throughout, and the villain is fairly creepy, The reboot idea is not too bad either,

However, the chapter structure was all wrong - numbered chapters with no titles, too short and way too many of them. The novel seemed to be in such a hurry, and didn't allow itself to prolong at a leisurely pace like the Fleming books, and because of this it felt closer to the films than the novels. Also, Deaver never really gets under Bond's skin.

No one can truly emulate the books because it was Fleming's thoughts, opinions and vision alone. This became all too apparent when reading Carte Blanche.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:31 am

jet set willy wrote:
Also, Deaver never really gets under Bond's skin.

The fatal flaw of the novel (which, admittedly, I've yet to find the motivation to finish). Deaver's Bond is very much an "empty suit." A generic, charmless action hero. Brosnan's cinematic Bond had more character. At least make him a smoker so he has a vice. Otherwise he's just a goody two-shoes who's out to please everyone. If a Bond novel in this day and age doesn't raise the ire of the PC Brigade then it's obviously not doing its job.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:55 am

My problem with it is that it's just so incredibly average and bland that I've already forgotten most of it. A waste of time.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Nice to see that Deaver at least has Bond getting laid before the end of the novel, unlike Faulks.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Nice to see that Deaver at least has Bond getting laid before the end of the novel, unlike Faulks.

Is that true? I can't remember? Did Bond really keep it zipped all through DMC or are you confusing with Bond/Camille in QoS.
Either way Bond does seem to have a problem with his zipper. Must get it lubed. It seems to be getting stuck at lot, in both book and film.:scratch:

=== btw, after careful consideration I have declared CB to be lamer than DMC. At least Faulks Bond wasn't so eager to be understood and please everyone. Faint praise, but Faulks has no longer written the worst Bond novel, at least IMO.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 am

Pretty sure DMC ends with Bond and the girl about it get it on, but it doesn't happen anywhere else in the book.
Back to top Go down
Bounine
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bounine

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 am

"At least Faulks Bond wasn't so eager to be understood and please everyone."

Yeah, this is a major issue. Its almost blasphemy. It's just not James Bond we're reading about.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 6:14 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Pretty sure DMC ends with Bond and the girl about it get it on, but it doesn't happen anywhere else in the book.
I'll take your word for it. The book is collecting dust on my shelf. I can't bring myself to disturb it. Seems Bond is a little gun-shy these days though, both in print and film.
Bounine wrote:
"At least Faulks Bond wasn't so eager to be understood and please everyone."
Yeah, this is a major issue. Its almost blasphemy. It's just not James Bond we're reading about.
Yep Deaver is an idiot. Oh well, doesn't mean I don't want him to right another book though.
In the famous words of the two deadly Blofeld assassins,

"If at first you don't succeed Mr. Kidd."
"Try, try again, Mr. Wint" 8)
or do I have that backwards Wint/Kidd Kidd/Wint :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Have now read the bit to which you were previously referring, TW ... although I guess Deaver does 'let Bond off the hook' somewhat, I'm not HUGELY miffed that apparently having to kill in cold blood to maintain a cover story gives him slight 'pause'.

I'm assuming (but don't tell me, hehehe) that when it comes to offing Dunne and Hydt, Bond doesn't hesitate.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Have now read the bit to which you were previously referring, TW ... although I guess Deaver does 'let Bond off the hook' somewhat, I'm not HUGELY miffed that apparently having to kill in cold blood to maintain a cover story gives him slight 'pause'.
I'm assuming (but don't tell me, hehehe) that when it comes to offing Dunne and Hydt, Bond doesn't hesitate.
but it isn't this the guy that killed Leiter's operative in Dubai and also left Leiter to a gruesome death. That's what's "off" here. Why would Bond hesitate to kill such a guy. I don't think Bond is pausing because of the cold-blood situation. Rather, Deaver seems to be saying that Bond has figured out that this guy was seeking reveng for his brother's death, and so now Bond seems to allow that is a mitigating factor driving his killing rampage. For that reason Bond wants to capture him and not kill him even though he brutally murdered Leiter's man and left Leiter himself for dead, not to mention trying to kill Bond. Seems to me, James Bond 007 should just put him down as an act of self defence at least, even if he doesn't hunt him down.
Meanwhile Deaver writes the scene so that Bond does get the drop on him and have the opportunity to capture him, however Deaver has Dudly Do-Rights SAPS girl (a tiresome character) arrive, just as Bond is about to capture killer boy, and poor mis-understood Bond is accused of wanting to kill killer-boy, by Miss Goody Two-Shoes.
Poor mis-understood Bond. Why does Deaver waste our time with this BS.🇳🇴
I would prefer if Bond had just killed the psycho in the heat of battle and grimly reflected, that this guy had gone on a murderous revenge spree without really knowing what had gone down with his brother. So sad and move on. But no Deaver was more concerned with contriving the situation to help build the tension between Bond and what's her name, over whether Bond was a cold blooded killer. Yawn.

ps This book was so non-impactful, I can barely remember any of the character's names anymore.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:31 am

Oh, sorry ... I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. The bit I'm talking about is when Hydt and
Dunne drag someone out in front of Bond when he's posing as 'Gene Theron' and they want Bond to kill him (their justification being that he'd broken into the Green Way plant and in attempting to steal mobile phones, he'd shot at security and a background check had supposedly revealed a criminal record) to prove his 'dedication' to working with them. Bond goes ahead and shoots him, but it's revealed that he'd figured out that the gun's loaded with wax bullets and so therefore knows it's all a set-up.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Oh, sorry ... I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. The bit I'm talking about is when Hydt and
Dunne drag someone out in front of Bond when he's posing as 'Gene Theron' and they want Bond to kill him (their justification being that he'd broken into the Green Way plant and in attempting to steal mobile phones, he'd shot at security and a background check had supposedly revealed a criminal record) to prove his 'dedication' to working with them. Bond goes ahead and shoots him, but it's revealed that he'd figured out that the gun's loaded with wax bullets and so therefore knows it's all a set-up.
That scene was reasonably well done. For about the100th time in the book,(over-use much?) Deaver uses his favoured what's happening is not quite what it seems technique, although we don't know this, and then he clues us in, after the fact.
By this point though I knew there was a twist. Deaver had been so careful that Bond never crossed any obvious ethical lines, that the only question in my mind was, what might the hook be.
But the scene at least did show how Bond was able to use his superior knowledge of guns to pull one over on the enemy.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 pm

That bit didn't work for me at all. Surely Dunne's knowledge of guns would equal Bond/Theron's, so he would know that Bond/Theron would know it was shooting blanks? Seemed a bit off to me.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 am

Santa wrote:
That bit didn't work for me at all. Surely Dunne's knowledge of guns would equal Bond/Theron's, so he would know that Bond/Theron would know it was shooting blanks? Seemed a bit off to me.

This is true. It is a bit contrived unless we are to believe that Bond's Theron alias, might be more a man of criminal management with good weapons knowledge, but not with expert weapons knowledge that an actual field op would have such as Bond or Dunne.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:38 am

There are too many ifs. It takes me out of the story.
Back to top Go down
RobDudley

RobDudley

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 am

A lot of things happening around an underdeveloped main character - it doesn't have much of an engine to it or anything much to distinguish itself. It's a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Just finished reading CARTLE BLANCHE.

I'll tell you a little about where I was coming from when I started CARTE BLANCHE earlier in the week:

I've never read a Jeffrey Deaver novel before.
I've read all of Fleming, Amis, and up through John Gardner's DEATH IS FOREVER. I've also read the first two of Benson's novels, but haven't gotten to the rest of them...yet.

Having said all of that, I found CARTE BLANCHE a very, very good book. I was surprised at how good it was. It avoided a lot of the mistakes I felt were routinely committed in the Gardner and Benson novels (that I've read), as well as the films of late, which is engaging in bad puns and too many twists and characters turning out not to be who we thought they were. I have to take off a half star for Deaver using a "twist" in one of the characters at the end of the novel, but because it was believable and credible I don't hold it against him too much.

The strongest part of the novel may be the villain, Severan Hydt. It's been a long, long time since I can recall a villain in a Bond novel as unique and interesting as Hydt. I wasn't sure there were any idiosyncrasies left for a Bond villain to have, but Hydt's perversity for all things dead and decaying, as sick as it is, also makes him a much more appealing character.

The use of Green Way was seamless; it allowed Deaver to contrive a villainous operation that could be both topical and a threat to the rest of the world. The end game was sufficiently big enough to be Bond-like. I loved the interoffice politics between Bond and the other agencies. I thought the character of Rebekah Jordaan was strong. Also liked the way Deaver opened up Bond's past a little bit and left some question marks about his parents dangling. He sets up subsequent books quite nicely.

Bond as a character is probably a bit underdeveloped, but I can forgive that. Hopefully we'll get more development of him in the sequels.

I hope Deaver does another set of Bond books. I was very impressed, which is hard to accomplish. Overall, very good novel and a great way to start off a new Bond timeline.

:4*:
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 pm

CARTE BLANCHE completely blows. I already reviewed it on CBn, so won't do so again here, but I just wanted to say that it opens up a total can of suckage and pours it all over the literary Bond to the point that I sincerely hope there will never again be another continuation novel. I just want the whole thing to die now, with whatever few remaining tatters of dignity are still left.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Loomis wrote:
CARTE BLANCHE completely blows. I already reviewed it on CBn, so won't do so again here, but I just wanted to say that it opens up a total can of suckage and pours it all over the literary Bond to the point that I sincerely hope there will never again be another continuation novel. I just want the whole thing to die now, with whatever few remaining tatters of dignity are still left.

Well, you're certainly in touch with your anger.... :lol!:

Just for spits and giggles, how about re-posting your review of CARTE BLANCE over here at Bond & Beyond please. I would like to read it. I respect your opinions, even though I am in complete disagreement with every single one of them.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 12:06 am

Well, it wasn't actually a review, as such - more a case of my ranting about it over the course of several posts. Looking back on the thread in question, I find that I was actually much more kindly disposed towards it than I am now (although even then I didn't like it all that much).

For what it's worth, my opinions are here:

http://debrief.commanderbond.net/topic/59968-spoilers-member-reviews-of-carte-blanche/
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 am

I've taken the liberty of copying hi-lites of Loomis' very well presented review
I especially relate to these items. Namely - the uber annoying Dench-based SAPS chick (although I do realize you are actually kinda praising her in relation to other lamer characters) and Deaver's overuse of twists and red herrings to the point that one just doesn't care anymore, especially regarding who the villain may or may not be.
And yes, you also caught, as many of us did, that this Bond is really just too nice.
Excerpted from Loomis
"With the exception of a stern South African policewoman who behaves towards Bond like Judi Dench's M (she thinks he's a blunt instrument who hotheadedly does his own thing and won't follow rules [yawn]), the characters are rather flat and dull.
As CARTE BLANCHE progresses, red herrings and so-called twists pile up with the tedious inevitability of unloved seasons arriving all at once. By the time it's finally revealed that the villain's plot isn't the villain's real plot, and that the villain isn't actually the villain anyway, or at least not the only villain, and the real plan is to do something else, or, wait, maybe it's actually this.... well, by that point it's hard to really care any more.

One reads on just to see how the story resolves itself, and not because one is truly gripped."

Carte Blanche, IMO, is a book that one learns to not like, more and more over time. Like a bad wine. I started off ranking Deaver ahead of Faulks, but with the passage of time, the bad taste does linger and grows more sour.
I've since dropped it to last among all the adult-Bond continuations - ie 23rd and last place, behind all the Gardners and Bensons, Amis and Faulks. I only ever had it ranked ahead of Faulks anyway, but its managed to drop that one last rung.

This http://debrief.commanderbond.net/topic/59968-spoilers-member-reviews-of-carte-blanche/

is a very thorough thread concerning CB. There is much in the way of detailed commentary and critique of the book, especially two lengthy reviews,(both on page 2, by chrisno1 and Igw007 (Luke Williams, who links to his article at 007magazine)) that are written by two well accomplished writers and seasoned Bond fans.

Our old Mi6 friends, Georgio and shadowonsun (tightpants) also weigh in.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 3:34 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
I started off ranking Deaver ahead of Faulks

Me too, although I now feel that DEVIL MAY CARE - dreadful though it is - is a significantly better book than CARTE BLANCHE (and much more Bondian, too).

BTW, I am a fan of Faulks in general (ENGLEBY is one of the most original, chilling and brilliant novels I've ever picked up - screamingly funny in places, too), but to call DEVIL MAY CARE a letdown would be the biggest understatement since some chap in 1999 first piped up that THE PHANTOM MENACE was something of a disappointment. Compared to what Faulks was capable of giving us, DEVIL MAY CARE was a case of dropping the ball on a stupendous scale. But, still, it now looks almost pretty good compared to CARTE BLANCHE.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I couldn't be less interested in reading CARTE BLANCHE.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 am

Loomis wrote:
tiffanywint wrote:
I started off ranking Deaver ahead of Faulks

Me too, although I now feel that DEVIL MAY CARE - dreadful though it is - is a significantly better book than CARTE BLANCHE (and much more Bondian, too).
BTW, I am a fan of Faulks in general (ENGLEBY is one of the most original, chilling and brilliant novels I've ever picked up - screamingly funny in places, too), but to call DEVIL MAY CARE a letdown would be the biggest understatement since some chap in 1999 first piped up that THE PHANTOM MENACE was something of a disappointment. Compared to what Faulks was capable of giving us, DEVIL MAY CARE was a case of dropping the ball on a stupendous scale. But, still, it now looks almost pretty good compared to CARTE BLANCHE.
Yep, we know why Faulks was bad, because he was saddled with the conceit of writing as Ian Fleming, a thankless task, which he didn't seem to take too seriously, but at least we knew what he was trying to do, and were able to groan and go along with his arsed attempt at pretending he was Fleming.
Deaver however has attempted to re-boot the series and put a whole new stamp on things. Never mind Deaver's tiresome obsession with red herrings and endless twists and turns, his real weakness is this squeaky perfect Bond he has tried to invent. A Bond who, yes is quite lethal and quite accomplished, but who is also just a bit too perfectly reasonable. A Bond who wants to be understood and do the right thing by others. Noble indeed, but its not quite Bond. Bond will never be a cad, but he can be a bit of a bastard and prone to pushing the envelope with his indulgences and vices. His most exploitable vice has always been women (FRWL etc) and he's never cared. His relationships have been reckless to the point of almost destructive, but he's managed to overcome. Deaver Bond's approch to women however is more measured and careful. It's a little off. Just enough that one notices.
And what Deaver did with the villain twists was simply nuts. The big reveal at the end required more foreshadowing. In fact it hardly worked as a major reveal. The real impact was achieved when we learned that the supposed big bad was really a dud. Who the real big bad might actually be wasn't that interesting, as we were already heavily invested in Hydte, with Dunne as henchman. Willing just turned out to be the next available candidate. Almost like a consolation lead villain with the other two having ultimately not measured up. Very strange way to deal with Bond-book villainy.
The ultimate lead villain of the piece, was thus essentially invisible for most of the book.Meanwhile Deaver essentially wasted the character that he had taken great pains to develop as an interesting lead villain in the Fleming style.
I found CB to be one of the oddest reads of the continuation novels. Deaver I feel is guilty of being a bit too clever with this book.
Oh well, we shall see what the next book brings. At least the last two novels have been backed by big publicity campaigns and both books probably did decent sales.
Again, I wouldn't object to a second Deaver Bond, just to see what he comes up with second time around. Better Deaver, than nothing I say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Carte Blanche reviews
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: Literary Bond-
Jump to: