More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Carte Blanche reviews

Go down 
+28
Hilly
j7wild
saint mark
6of1
Harmsway
Loomis
Gravity's Silhouette
RobDudley
Santa
CJB
groucho070
colly
Blunt Instrument
trevanian
Largo's Shark
Aston_Martini
The White Tuxedo
Bounine
danslittlefinger
Louis Armstrong
Perilagu Khan
Vesper
Ravenstone
bondfan06
GeneralGogol
Fairbairn-Sykes
tiffanywint
jet set willy
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Bounine
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bounine

Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 am

Yes I think I originally said this. He does seem more like Bond at the end. I liked how he romanticised about the source of the ship horn too. That was Flemingsque. I'm going to his book signing and Q & A session next Thursday. I'd like to ask him about what kind of restrictions the Fleming estate placed on him although I'm not sure if he would be allowed to tell me. I'd like to also enquire into Bond's xenophobia and chauvinism of the 50’s and 60’s. As I said though I don’t mind if these things are no longer there but I wouldn’t mind if Bond still had a hint of chauvinism to him as I always thought he was slightly more chauvinistic than the average man in the 50’s and 60’s. Not that I was around that time but I’ve seen a lot of films you know. ;)

Wood and Pearson are authors who really nailed the Bond character.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:33 am

Bounine wrote:
Yes I think I originally said this. He does seem more like Bond at the end. I liked how he romanticised about the source of the ship horn too. That was Flemingsque. I'm going to his book signing and Q & A session next Thursday. I'd like to ask him about what kind of restrictions the Fleming estate placed on him although I'm not sure if he would be allowed to tell me. I'd like to also enquire into Bond's xenophobia and chauvinism of the 50’s and 60’s. As I said though I don’t mind if these things are no longer there but I wouldn’t mind if Bond still had a hint of chauvinism to him as I always thought he was slightly more chauvinistic than the average man in the 50’s and 60’s. Not that I was around that time but I’ve seen a lot of films you know. ;)

Wood and Pearson are authors who really nailed the Bond character.

Could you ask Deaver if he could grow Bond another two inches for the next book, if he wouldn't mind. It's 2011. 6'0 isn't even tall for a hockey player anymore, in fact it's short. 6'1-6'2 is roughly median hockey player height. Bond should at least be as tall as an average hockey or baseball player.
At 6'0 in the 50's and 60's he was a bigger man than he is now.
Yes and if he could be a little more of a chauvinist that would be nice too.
Tell Deaver he did a good job with the boozing and general womanizing though. I like that the women are attracted to Bond and he just rolls with it. That is Bond. His aura and raw Bondness does the trick.
Back to top Go down
Bounine
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bounine

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 am

I wouldn't mind Bond being 6'1. Personally, I think 6'2 is too tall.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:56 am

Superman is 6'3''. Bond does not need to be 6'2''. I don't even know why he has to be tall to be imposing. Hell, 6'0'' is damn imposing enough to me. The character of Wolverine, from X-Men comics, is 5'2''. Spider-Man is 5'5''.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm

6' 1" and 190 pounds would be about right.
Back to top Go down
Aston_Martini

Aston_Martini

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 pm

We all know how fucking tall he is! Why do we even have to have a description? All this "Bond admired his 6' 1" body in the mirror as he reflected on how he weighed about 190 lbs. He noticed his grey blue eyes looked cold and that his lips looked cruel. He ran a finger down the three inch vertical scar on his right cheek, and ran his fingers through his jet black hair that was starting to grey at the temples. Despite this action, a comma of hair fell over his forehead, just above his right eye. Bond went off and had some scrambled eggs, because that's what Bond eats." is ridiculous. We all know that shit. It does nothing to propel the story forward and just feels shoehorned in to make the reader know that the author's done some research. Y'know, I coud live without those descriptions and use my own imagination, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Well, one would hope it'd be better integrated that, but you're right. It ain't necessary. Fleming knew how to do it without calling too much attention (i.e. in dossiers or obituaries read aloud). From what's been reported, looks like Deaver didn't.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 am

Ed Tom Kowalsky wrote:

Yep, that would work. I'd still prefer 6'2. That was Sean's height. Sean was a good looking Bond and Fleming approved.

I have to say, once Deaver identified Bond as 6'0 170, I really had to work to picture him larger when reading the book. It threw me off even though I have read everthing published by all the continuation authors.
I kept seeing Bond as the smallest guy in the room when he was hanging with the lead villain and his henchmen/guards.
I finally did manage to conjure up a proper sized Bond that measured up nicely with the baddies but it took some work.

===Bounine, please do report back anything of interest that Deaver had to say. I did enjoy the book. It was well worth reading and I like the way Deaver wound it up and set Bond up for future adventures.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 am

I love that you picture 6'0'' as "smallest guy in the room." It makes a guy like me, who stands 5'3'', laugh a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I love that you picture 6'0'' as "smallest guy in the room." It makes a guy like me, who stands 5'3'', laugh a lot.

They grow 'em big in Toronto.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 pm

I always imagine Bond as being leaner-than-average in comparison to the typical man. He's not a fitness freak like Craig in CR, but has a natural cat-like agility than makes him more dangerous than most people with a similar physique. Michael Fassbender, for instance, has a more Bondian physique - slim, probably around 170 lbs, but with excellent posture and natural frame.
Back to top Go down
Bounine
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bounine

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:04 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
Ed Tom Kowalsky wrote:

Yep, that would work. I'd still prefer 6'2. That was Sean's height. Sean was a good looking Bond and Fleming approved.

I have to say, once Deaver identified Bond as 6'0 170, I really had to work to picture him larger when reading the book. It threw me off even though I have read everthing published by all the continuation authors.
I kept seeing Bond as the smallest guy in the room when he was hanging with the lead villain and his henchmen/guards.
I finally did manage to conjure up a proper sized Bond that measured up nicely with the baddies but it took some work.

===Bounine, please do report back anything of interest that Deaver had to say. I did enjoy the book. It was well worth reading and I like the way Deaver wound it up and set Bond up for future adventures.

Will do. I'd really like to know if they have another author lined up to write the next adult Bond book but he probably wouldn't tell me if indeed he actually knows. I will ask though. Apart from Deaver's new take on Bond's personality I certainly enjoyed the book itself.

I actually pictured Bond as being a bit on the short side too which is something I didn't do in the Gardner books and back. Strange. Are people all taller these days? I know Asian people are because they are eating more Western food. I know the Dutch, Danish and Germans are some of the tallest people in the world but Bond wasn't in these countries. Maybe I pictured him being shorter because he was too nice. :) He should have put that Jordaan in her place or just acted really flippant around her.

If you are slimmer you look taller. I do think 6'2 though is too tall and might attract attention if you were a spy. I wouldn't like to be as tall as 6'2. When Bond has shoes on he would be closer to 6'1. :)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
But I'm talking in a room full of heavies and assorted thugs. Not a room full of regular schlumps.

Bounine wrote:

If you are slimmer you look taller. I do think 6'2 though is too tall and might attract attention if you were a spy. I wouldn't like to be as tall as 6'2. When Bond has shoes on he would be closer to 6'1. :)

I still like 6'2 as that was Sean's size and Sean didn't look oversized even in the 60's. In his 60's hey dey with the lean build that Gogol references, Sean was probably no more than 190 lbs, maybe even 180-185.

He'd porked up to 220 by DAF but was that was middle age and probably no fitness routine encroaching on the lean build.
Bottom line if Fleming wrote Bond as 6'0 and 50 years later Deaver is still writing Bond as 6'0 then Bond has shrunk.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm 6'2" and 189, and if that weight was properly distributed between fat and muscle (it most definitely is NOT), I'd probably look for real the way I imagine I look. For a film Bond, 6'2" and 190 is probably close to perfect. In the books ... if he is smaller, it makes his triumphs seem bigger, so maybe that is okay. But I really like film Bond to look like he can do Conneryesque things (or in Dalton's case, make a face that suggests he thinks he can do Conneryesque things.)

Craig is a fireplug by comparision.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 am

Trevanian, you are a proper Bond size. Get in shape and you too can be Bond.
Mini-hulk Craig is simply too short.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 am

People'd just make Brozzer jokes about me.

That wouldn't hurt so much, except that it would be while I was thinking I was striking a balance between Connery and Dalton.
Back to top Go down
Bounine
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Bounine

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:25 am

Is Craig 5'10?

I'm not saying 6'2 is too tall but I think it's too tall for Bond. This height does attract a bit more attention.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 am

Bounine wrote:
Is Craig 5'10?

I'm not saying 6'2 is too tall but I think it's too tall for Bond. This height does attract a bit more attention.
That's OK Bond does atract attention when he walks into a room. He's a blunt instrument who also knows his way around a wine list, the boudoir and a baccarat table.

Even Fleming, writing Bond at 6'0, was giving Bond a distinct physical presence.

Nowadays 6'2 is just a good strong height if your physically or athletically inclined.
6'4 is more when people start thinking you might be a basketball player, or the high school gym coach forces you to play on the basketball team.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Richard Armitage is 6'2", and has said in interviews that he considers himself too tall and too lanky.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Richard Armitage is 6'2", and has said in interviews that he considers himself too tall and too lanky.
Doctors could help him with that. Like teaching him how to walk. Most of us learn on our own but we do understand that Hollywood actors can be especially helpless and needy.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Doctors could help him with that. Like teaching him how to walk. Most of us learn on our own but we do understand that Hollywood actors can be especially helpless and needy.

Well, he's a trained dancer after all. They're not meant to be tall.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
tiffanywint wrote:

Well, he's a trained dancer after all. They're not meant to be tall.

Maybe he should find another job then. What do I know. I don't even know who this guy is, other than he complains about having a perfectly normal height. Sounds like a big pussy.🐱
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Over 6 foot can be a difficult height for an actor. Well, more problematic for the directors, I suppose, having to frame a shot where the leading man is a foot taller than the leading woman.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Over 6 foot can be a difficult height for an actor. Well, more problematic for the directors, I suppose, having to frame a shot where the leading man is a foot taller than the leading woman.

I am all in favour then for giving directors a few extra bucks for having to work with tall actors.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm

I think they should pay the shorter actors danger money for the resultant cricks in their necks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carte Blanche reviews   Carte Blanche reviews - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Carte Blanche reviews
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next