More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thunderball in Review

Go down 
+10
hegottheboot
CJB
Largo's Shark
JohnDrake
Perilagu Khan
Salomé
colly
SJK91
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fort Knox
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Thunderball in Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:
It's making me smile just seeing that picture. I would put it in my top 5 if not my favorite movie ever...it's just really hard to think of better.

I would watch Herzog direct traffic.

Since it's Halloween, ever seen Nosferatu the Vampyre? Excellent. And more than a touch unnerving.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 pm

Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:
It's making me smile just seeing that picture. I would put it in my top 5 if not my favorite movie ever...it's just really hard to think of better.

That's exactly how I feel about him, I think I have used almost those same words regarding Herzog and I'm not even sure I could explain why that it's that way. We could dissect all his films from a technical aspect, get into cinematography, the plots, subject matter but it's so much more than that. And when I think about documentaries like "God's Angry Man' there really is no logical reason why I should like it but I love it, am absolutely memorized by every second of it just like I am with all his works. The only problem with him is trying to decide which movie or documentary to watch at any given time and I find myself overwhelmed wanting to watch them all at once. Aguirre? Even Dwarfs Started Small? Heart of Glass? all of them..they all seem equally wonderful. The other problem is after watching a few of his films I really don't feel like watching anything else or any other director.   There is just something magical there and I always sort of feel like a different person for the better after viewing Herzog. I think 'Grizzly Man' was the last one I watched and it gave me that same feeling.  just love the guy, a true artist
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:

Since it's Halloween, ever seen Nosferatu the Vampyre? Excellent. And more than a touch unnerving.

it's one of the most beautiful nightmares ever put on screen
Back to top Go down
Morland_Specials

Morland_Specials

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 11:57 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:

That film is Kinski's most accomplished work. He relied totally on pathos, which people thought he previously lacked. They were dead wrong. You know that knot in your gut when you wake up from a bad dream and it's still real to you? This film is like that for 90 minutes. I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Sarai wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:

it's one of the most beautiful nightmares ever put on screen

Well put.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Morland_Specials wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Morland_Specials wrote:
Sarai wrote:

That film is Kinski's most accomplished work. He relied totally on pathos, which people thought he previously lacked. They were dead wrong. You know that knot in your gut when you wake up from a bad dream and it's still real to you? This film is like that for 90 minutes. I agree with you.

Yes. The film is drenched in pathos and morbidity. It is an archetypally romantic film.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 9:10 am

Paganini

written, directed and staring Kinski

it's um, different
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Thunderball has much to admire, after the rather plodding Goldfinger we had Thunderball and one of Connerys best performances in the role, we are also introduced to the best villain in the series the menacingly evil Largo, plotting to blackmail NATO after stealing (rather too easily) two atomic bombs.
The series has seen many meglomaniacs and Largo ranks amongst the most villainous, Adolfo celi is inspired casting in the role, Bonds mission of course is to find the bombs which takes him to some fabulous locations, the eye candy is also particularly tasty in this one. Sure the underwater action scenes are a tad long but thats easily forgiven. Great music courtesy of john barry who rarely lets the standard slip and Tom jones knocks it out the park (he fainted in the recording studio whilst holding the final note)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 1:46 pm

I agree Thunderball is very underrated. While it used to be top 5 for now it may just have swapped places with Goldfinger. Both are excellent but the leaner trimming to GF really gives that film a little more focus. I think Celi is excellent as Largo - his presence and physicality screams villainy - but once you realise Largo and Tanaka are voiced by the same actor, it's hard to list him as one of the best villains in the series. When Bond is playing cards with him at Cafe Martinique, I half expect Largo to say "Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond! I... love you." laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball in Review   Thunderball in Review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thunderball in Review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2