More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?

Go down 
+6
Fort Knox
G section
GeneralGogol
Control
Perilagu Khan
colly
10 posters

Would you have liked to see more composers get the opportunity to score classic Bond, at the expense of John Barry?
No
Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Vote_lcap81%Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Vote_rcap
 81% [ 17 ]
Yes
Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Vote_lcap19%Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Empty
PostSubject: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? John_barry_composer_dies

John Barry.

Undeniable legend of the Bond canon. A musical genius who defined an era of 1960s intrigue. Let me first state that this debate is not questioning the effect he had on Bond.

Understandably, due to the gold he constantly produced, Barry had nearly a monopoly on scoring Bond films, filling 11 of the first 15 films with his classy tunes. However, Barry was not the only muscial maestro of the 60s through to the 80s, indeed the era was rather a hotbed for great music scores that fill our film music thread - and most of these guys didnt get a look in for Bond, and I suspect most were never even asked. So thats what I want to pose to you for week 2.

Are you content with the fact that Barry scored 11 films? Would you maybe have liked to see something like FRWL scored by Bernard Hermann? Or MR scored by John Williams? Or on the other side of the coin, DN, LALD, TSWLM and FYEO filled with Barry tunes? Would giving more composers the opportunity of Bond have resulted in a lesser amount of quality scores than we got through the Barry-dominant formula? More?

The floor is yours.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Moah! More Barry. Do it!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:29 pm

I really don't think composers like Herrmann or Williams would have been the right selection. Not because their music is above or below Barry's, but because Barry's style just seemed to be perfect for Bond. Barry was a master at creating fantastic motifs within his soundtracks and they really seemed to work well with the Bond franchise--even the lower quality Bond films that he composed for. I would have been content with Barry scoring every film of the franchise.

And when you take the Bond brand name off of his work, it's still, overall, brilliant music. YOLT, for example, is one of my all-time favorite scores.

While I know he would have never gone back to Bond, it's still a shame that we lost him.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I'd rather Barry have scored all the other films as well! All of his works have their own clear identity and melody. With all due respect to Bill Conti and his entertaining score, having just watched FYEO, Barry's music was sorely missing from the film! He delivered such a beatiful score to Moonraker, so I can't even imagine what he would've brought to FYEO.

That said, the only forgettable and bland pre-Arnold score to my ears was LTK.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Barry's music is a core part of what made the early Bond films in particular so great for so many people, including myself. Without it, films such as FRWL and Thunderball would be half the films that they are IMO. Whilst I do enjoy Conti and Hamlisch's efforts, Brown is spot on in saying that Barry's music felt just right for Bond - I can't imagine FRWL having the atmosphere that it does had it been scored by the likes of Herrmann, no matter how good a composer he is.
So my answer is no.
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm

I'd have been alright with someone else for The Man With The Golden Gun, but none of the others. But every soundtrack since he left I wish had been done by him. Not enough of a good thing if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Frankly, Barry's music almost served as the one constant linking together the disparate interpretations of Bond, as well as the different actors' tenure.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 2:54 am

I can see M's point to an extent about TMWTGG, as it's easily my least favourite of Barry's Bond scores even though I still like it. I can see Colly's point about it being a shame that the likes of Herrmann never got to score a Bond film. But I wouldn't replace Barry for anything, especially his 63-71 and 79-87 contributions.

I like Martin's LALD score and think it brings something different, so I'm okay without Barry there. I also utterly love the Conti factor in FYEO, so again it's okay not having Barry for that IMO. LTK could do with sounding a bit less Die Hard, despite me liking (and even loving) a decent amount of Kamen's score.... ultimately I'd have wanted Barry for that one though, while it goes without saying that Bond's music output since Babs' takeover has ranged from underwhelming to plain f***ing dire, so I'd have loved Barry to have scored Bond right until his death.

A big part of my disconnection with the films from GE onwards is that John Barry hasn't scored Brosnan or Craig as Bond, as FS touched upon above. Brosnan never moved to a "He's Dangerous", while Craig will never move to a "Mujahadin and Opium" or "The Sniper Was A Woman", which just gives me one more reason to prefer watching Rog and Dalton respectively; those two weren't soundtracked with unlistenable sh*te.

So Barry's a massive reason (if not the main reason) why for me the Bond series will always be DN-LTK, followed by some half-assed and patchy tribute act from GE-QOS in the wake of the mammoth losses of Cubby, Maibaum and especially John Barry.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:11 pm

G section wrote:
Barry's music is a core part of what made the early Bond films in particular so great for so many people, including myself. Without it,

Yep. If there was one consistent Fleming quality in all those Bond pictures, it was Barry's music. He gave them a poignancy, romance, and soul, that let's be honest, the films themselves rarely deserved. I don't think Herrmann, North, Goldsmith or any others you could name would have been such a perfect fit. Barry in the 60s and beyond, was James Bond. He was scoring majorly with Jane Birkin and alike, maintained a bon viveur lifestyle, and was one of the three shaggers, alongside Caine and Stamp. His personality and musical identity - deceptively simple, masculine, and brooding - was Fleming's James Bond transcribed for a 60 piece orchestra.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 2:04 am

Sharky wrote:

Yep. If there was one consistent Fleming quality in all those Bond pictures, it was Barry's music. He gave them a poignancy, romance, and soul, that let's be honest, the films themselves rarely deserved. I don't think Herrmann, North, Goldsmith or any others you could name would have been such a perfect fit....His personality and musical identity - deceptively simple, masculine, and brooding - was Fleming's James Bond transcribed for a 60 piece orchestra.

Agreed with this entirely.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 pm

I voted No. However, it might've been nice to have Henry Mancini or Jerry Goldsmith score at least one of the Bond films that Barry was unavailable for.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 4:23 am

Anyone have a good idea for the next debate topic? This current one has run it's week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?   Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Previous Debate: John Barry - too much of a good thing?
Page 1 of 1