More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Octopussy in Review

Go down 
+19
bitchcraft
Gravity's Silhouette
Makeshift Python
Loomis
boldfinger
Largo's Shark
Salomé
Perilagu Khan
Vesper
GeneralGogol
G section
JohnDrake
Lazenby.
SJK91
bondfan06
The White Tuxedo
colly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fort Knox
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Octopussy in Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 30, 2019 7:16 pm

bitchcraft wrote:
I'm saying what comes out of his mouth sometimes makes him sound like one.

Comments about slashing his wrists, doing it for the money, and now being done with the role instead of promoting the film....all pathetic.

Take a page out of Dalton's book, and the Rog, who remained positive Ambassadors for the role long after they departed the gig. Craig is sometimes just plain old embarassing.

I agree. Was just attempting a joke, there. Dalts utters a certain line to Kara in TLD.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 2:08 am

bitchcraft wrote:
Octopussy had a jaw-dropping moment when the horse's ass raises and the Bede BD-5 Micro rolls out.

No such moments in Craig films, the wow factor has gone. He sounds like a horse's ass sometimes but it's not the same.

laugh

GS wrote:
Who exactly does Magda work for? She works for the circus, but she's also Kamal's mistress?

This confused me initially as well. Especially when she says "he'll destroy the entire operation". It seemed like she knew was a bomb was going to go off, and yet was willing to stay - as in, a suicide mission. But maybe that was my fascination with TWINE seeping into OP as well.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:
Octopussy had a jaw-dropping moment when the horse's ass raises and the Bede BD-5 Micro rolls out.

No such moments in Craig films, the wow factor has gone. He sounds like a horse's ass sometimes but it's not the same.

laugh

GS wrote:
Who exactly does Magda work for? She works for the circus, but she's also Kamal's mistress?

This confused me initially as well. Especially when she says "he'll destroy the entire operation". It seemed like she knew was a bomb was going to go off, and yet was willing to stay - as in, a suicide mission. But maybe that was my fascination with TWINE seeping into OP as well.

OP's entire plot is a scrambled mess.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 4:28 pm

A 'scrambled' mess ... well, an egg IS integral to the plot laugh .
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Eggzactly...
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 8:43 pm

See below.

Last edited by AMC Hornet on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm

How do you delete a post anyway?
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

laugh

GS wrote:

What it tells me is that Magda knew no more about the bomb than Octopussy did. She may have been a go-between for Octopussy and Kamal, but she was not privy to Kamal's side deal with Orlov for the bomb. To Magda, the 'entire operation' meant the jewelry smuggling pipeline. The only villains to ever volunteer to go up with their petard were Largo in NSNA - and even that didn't seem likely, and Renard. (Oddjob & May Day had no choice).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 pm

That's right, AMC. But on first viewing (and a few subsequent viewings also), it wasn't clear to me. She's a fascinating character played by an actress possibly too aloof to carry the weight of someone like Magda.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

It does need some clarification to help with the first watch but I think it's one of the most effective Bond plots post-1969.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 am

bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

That line never made any sense. You just heard the man. A nuclear bomb is about to go off. If he's wrong, your jewelry smuggling operation will continue in one way or another. If he's right, you're going to disintegrate in 30 seconds from now. Why would this line ever come from her mouth?

I think Wayborn does speak that line, but then the part where she says 'Back to India" doesn't match her lips and I think it was dubbed in post...and I've closely examined her lips for purely professional reasons of course so I'm very confident i'm wright.

A better question might be: what does Kamal get out of all this? Kamal is the lead villain, Orlov the supporting villain, and Gobinda the henchman. We understand Orlov's motivation for setting up the bomb, but it's never attempted to explain why this would be any of Kamal's concern. By killing Octopussy he's killing off his pipeline, his golden goose. Is Orlov also hoping to shut down the smuggling pipleine now that he's got the money to get the bomb?

We're told Khan is an exiled Afghan prince...is he hoping Orlov helps get him back in power? I mean, what? What was Kamal's currency in the matter, so to speak? You'd think his business interests would at least allow for the saving of Octopussy and maybe Magda.

Regardless, you'll never find a better illustration of what it means to be in a "bond film" than seeing the sight of bikini clad, gun-toting women storming a castle and taking down the bad guys...Bond shooting the knob off the end of the bannister...Octopussy's Girls flirting with Q for saving their lives. Good, clean fun...and I was lucky to see it back in 1983 before today's spoiled, rotten 20-somethings ruined pop culture.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 3:32 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

It does need some clarification to help with the first watch but I think it's one of the most effective Bond plots post-1969.

As jumbled as it all is, the plot manages to generate a good deal of suspense. You just have to plow ahead and trust it'll all make sense in the end. And I feel much the same way about TLD.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

That line never made any sense. You just heard the man. A nuclear bomb is about to go off. If he's wrong, your jewelry smuggling operation will continue in one way or another. If he's right, you're going to disintegrate in 30 seconds from now. Why would this line ever come from her mouth?

I think Wayborn does speak that line, but then the part where she says 'Back to India" doesn't match her lips and I think it was dubbed in post...and I've closely examined her lips for purely professional reasons of course so I'm very confident i'm wright.

A better question might be: what does Kamal get out of all this? Kamal is the lead villain, Orlov the supporting villain, and Gobinda the henchman. We understand Orlov's motivation for setting up the bomb, but it's never attempted to explain why this would be any of Kamal's concern. By killing Octopussy he's killing off his pipeline, his golden goose. Is Orlov also hoping to shut down the smuggling pipleine now that he's got the money to get the bomb?

We're told Khan is an exiled Afghan prince...is he hoping Orlov helps get him back in power? I mean, what? What was Kamal's currency in the matter, so to speak? You'd think his business interests would at least allow for the saving of Octopussy and maybe Magda.

Regardless, you'll never find a better illustration of what it means to be in a "bond film" than seeing the sight of bikini clad, gun-toting women storming a castle and taking down the bad guys...Bond shooting the knob off the end of the bannister...Octopussy's Girls flirting with Q for saving their lives. Good, clean fun...and I was lucky to see it back in 1983 before today's spoiled, rotten 20-somethings ruined pop culture.

Hmm... Magda might believe Bond is saying whatever to sabotage their smuggling operation. Being on the periphery of Kamal's circle, the only talk she probably heard of were jewels, not atomic bombs.

Orlov doesn't get the money to buy the bomb - they've already got the bomb. Kamal gets the riches and retires to seclusion. Orlov's goal is purely ideological.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

As jumbled as it all is, the plot manages to generate a good deal of suspense. You just have to plow ahead and trust it'll all make sense in the end. And I feel much the same way about TLD.

The plot is about some amazing hot lesbians half naked living on an island with Octopussy. all that stuff about spies, bombs and jewels is just pointless filler
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2019 5:00 am

colgate
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 am

Sarai wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
bitchcraft wrote:

laugh

GS wrote:

The plot is about some amazing hot lesbians half naked living on an island with Octopussy. all that stuff about spies, bombs and jewels is just pointless filler

We see what we want to see ... laugh .
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2019 2:39 pm

laugh

I would have been better directed by Tinto Brass or Jess Franco.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2019 3:21 pm

I'll be in my bunk ... devil
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Gobinda is easily the most underrated henchman of the series. I love the humor and amusement in his eyes.

Kemal is terrific, too, of course. Vijay, as well.

However, Magda and Octopussy leave me cold. The least sexy combo of Bond girls in any film.

And OP just succumbs to silliness from the end of the golf cart chase onward. It may be sillier than MR, but without as many compensations. Additionally, much of the dialogue is stilted, Barry's score and the title track are generic and dull, the Bond/Moneypenny scene is the worst in series history, and moreso than AVTAK, the series feels tired in this one. I rate it above DAD only.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm

From the tuk tuk chase until Germany does it descend into silliness but it finds its focus again as soon as we hit Berlin, providing us with some of Roger's best moments as Bond (or at least his era).

I disagree about Gobinda and wouldn't call Vijay terrific. He's too lightweight, despite the effective death scene. I like Octopussy as a character but was miscast. I think Magda is stunning but the above conversation highlighted, there needed to be more clarity to her character. These girls far outshine the Craig era women, sans Severine.
Back to top Go down
Abishai100

Abishai100

PostSubject: Leviathan   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm from India originally and love the scenes in India in this Bond film, and Khan is a cool villain. Everyone loves those knife-twins, and Moore is a fine Bond in this aged outing, I think. India is both exotic and strange visually, which is why I commend the imagery selection and camera-work in Octopussy. This is way better than the Indiana Jones film set in India, Temple of Doom.

As per the title referencing the Bond woman named Octopussy, there're implicit references to the idea of sensous danger and physical prowess and of course seduction/deception, but there're also implicit references to the concept of the insertion of 'leviathan' in villainy. Leviathan is a sea-beast of chaos, and the fact that the Bond girl is named Octopussy, referencing some kind of misshapen 'creature' I think is a great homage to the notion of the evolution of the conceptual presentation of villainesses in film. Maybe we're becoming more paranoid about the gender of evil, eh?

Plenty of potential for fan-workups here, right?

====

BOND: Gee, I wonder what your name implies, my dear.
OCTOPUSSY: Whatever you imagine!
BOND: Terrorism?
OCTOPUSSY: How about empire?
BOND: Empire sounds deformed.

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

Octopussy in Review - Page 2 Bond1511
Back to top Go down
https://evangelism9.webnode.com/
Abishai100

Abishai100

PostSubject: Happy Welcomed, BTW   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Incidentally, I'm new to the forum, but I'm really thrilled to contribute and this one's my favorite Bond film by far. I love those sarees in this one, right? If you're into that.

I'm a fan of mod British writing (Ian Fleming) and the classics too, and Bond is way cooler than Ethan Hunt (Mission: Impossible).

Excited to post --- and look for my fan-writes!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
https://evangelism9.webnode.com/
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

But after having watched it again, I do wonder:

Where did Mischa's body go? Bond put it in the cannon, but later Francisco the Fearless jumps in it at the circus and presumably does not find the body. I could've sworn there was a scene in the theatrical release where Bond fires Mischa's body out of the cannon while the train is in motion, but I may be mis-remembering that. Nobody seems to miss Mischa either. Did Grishca just assume he'd gotten left behind in East Germany?

What you mis-remember, despite having just watched the film again, is that there were two identical rail cars - two identical cannons, etc. Instead of just swapping the jewelry for the bomb, Orlov and Kamal switched the entire car. Convoluted, I know, but it means Mishka was left behind in Karl Marxstad.

Grishka assumes there was only one way for Bond to have appropriated Mishka's costume, hence "And this for my brother!" Grishka died not knowing what the hell "and that's for 009!" was supposed to mean, since he was not privy to MI6's code names.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Octopussy in Review   Octopussy in Review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Octopussy in Review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2