These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I think we're at "what you might call a Mexican screw-off".

TMWTGG was my third Bond ever after LALD and AVTAK at the rental store and the first I ever owned officially on tape (Probably the best childhood Xmas gift ever: You mean there's Moore than the two films I broke the rental store record for most rentals of the same movie?" You're a Bond fan when you literally wear a tape out and it dies before your eyes.)

It gets a bad rap for many reasons but mostly because it is a product of 1974 which was a bit of a lower one for the film industry as there were many economic hardships and the youth culture movements of the late 60's had mostly died out and left an uncertain future for the New Hollywood generation of films. Films were darker, grittier and lower budgeted so did 007 still matter?

Yes. The film may not be perfect, it may have some inherent blandness that needed rejuvenation, Goodnight is a horrible buffoon of a character...but it all adds up to a sophisticated yet at times silly cocktail that is still Bond and a perfect fit for the kung-fu mad world of 1974.

It has some great photography of the locales, you get the sense of being in the Far East in 1974 in spectacular and honest urban locales, Roger is at his darkest and Bond is undeniably pissed off for being the subject of an apparent manhunt, there's real tension and danger, there's an actual mystery component, Barry's rushed score is still achingly and supremely beautiful also with some great action and dramatic cues that I still hum on a daily basis, the Funhouse island set is iconic, Lee gives arguably his best dramatic performance that is so good you cry out for more scenes with him clearly relishing being fang-less-and the trademark Mankiewicz lines/wit is in full force with many not hitting home until years later.
"Speak now or forever hold your piece." GREAT scene. Bond threatens a custom gunsmith with his own triggerless rifle by aiming at his groin. People say Roger couldn't get dark. DEAD WRONG. There are innumerable great moments in the film that aren't outweighed by the silly or stupid. The fake third nipple is wacky-BUT it works in a whimsical way and is used for plot purpose! The ride to the sunken QE is extremely atmospheric and the tilted set is a marvel, Bond smoking waiting outside the club with TMWTGG overhead, the funhouse opening, Binder's titles through water ripples, the somber and atmospheric island score cues, the rough and low scale car chase, the meeting of titans in the kickboxing arena where Lee gets to recount Fleming onscreen amazingly, the incredible silent sequence where Scaramanga returns to the junk and confronts Andrea with the barrel of the gun as if the inquisitive lover as Barry's heart stoppingly beautiful instrumental unfurls, and the majestic-incredible-amazing-hysterical-charming Nick Nack.

"Unless the Bottoms Up is a strip club and Scaramanga is performing there."

Admittedly I love the film in spite of the flaws and will defend any of the original films to the death. Heck I love the title song and even the karate school girls. The way the scene is staged with the funny cue, Bond being flummoxed in bemusement, and the adorable: "FORGOT TO TELL YOU!" cracks me up every time.

If I come home late after a rough day and am not ordering green figs/yogurt/coffee from room service there is only one utterance of disgust/tiredness that comes out of my mouth:

"Phuyuck."
"'74 sir!"
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Makes me want to watch TMWTGG, and it's in the bottom half of my rankings. Great celebratory review, sir!
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:37 am

Just watched it again the other day, in a double-feature with DAF - and for all those reasons HGTB listed above.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks. I think if more general viewers looked past the dated qualities of the films always labelled as "lesser" that they'd be quite surprised how enjoyable they are. When I was a kid it was always TMWTGG I had to defend, then it became Moonraker and sometimes AVTAK simply because the former had space lasers and goofiness in some parts and the latter had ageing Roger. I don't even think Internet culture has seen any of them.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 am

...and when they do, the call them the 'forgotten' or 'overlooked' entries (like OHMSS).
There's a difference between 'overlooked' and 'under-rated'.
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:03 am

I don't think TMWTGG is considered lesser because its dated. It's because the narrative doesn't flow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...   

Back to top Go down

The Man With The Golden Gun in Review...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)-
Jump to: