More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond

Go down 
+2
Blunt Instrument
tiffanywint
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond Empty
PostSubject: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 pm

I am almost through this 2008 autobiography. It's well worth the read especially when Rog gets to his Bond years. These chapters are chalk full of new anecodotes about the filming that don't appear in any commentaries or film features and all delivered with the Rog's trademark wit.

For example, in TSWLM, Rog only mimed his "Egyptian Builders line" after Jaws is buried in rubble. The reason being, an official from the Egyptian government was monitoring the shoot and likely wouldn't have approved of the comment. So Rog conspired with Gilbert to simply mouth the line and dub the audio in later.

Like most biographies you gotta slog through the whole life story from childhood on but Rog at least keeps these parts fresh and funny. The books really picks up when he reaches the Saint chapter and now he's discussing stuff we are more familiar with.
There are lots of anecdotes about other actors. He gives details on the shooting of the his three South African films, which is quite interesting.
Lee Marvin was a hopeless drunk but brave as hell, being an ex-Marine.

The Rog does commit one terribly grevious Fleming error though.

Page 205 discussing TSWLM
"Incidentally the film was not based on Ian Fleming's book.When he wrote that particular adventure, Fleming told the story through the eyes of the female heroine, Anya Amasova."

Aieeee. :affraid: Anya Amasova!!!!!

Rog continues, " He (Fleming) didn't feel satisfied with the finished product and so declared that nothing, other than the title, could ever be used in a future film."

Doesn't Rog see the contradiction in his own observation. If Amasova was Fleming's girl, but only the title of the book could be used for a film, then how did Amasova beccome a character in the film? Hmmmm.

Fanboy nitpicking, but clearly Rog never read the Fleming original.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 12:40 am

Really must read this one day ... maybe after I've finished Carte Blanche and Vic Armstrong's biography. :)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 1:33 am

I read it a couple of years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was quite humourous too. Always has an interesting story to tell.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 5:46 am

I wonder if Rog read any of Fleming. He seemed convinced the Book Bond was a real bastard and wanted to distance his own portrayal from that image.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am

I think I remember reading somewhere that he'd skimmed the first chapter of Goldfinger, and from that gleaned that although Bond didn't much like killing he was very good at it. He said he then made that the basis of his portrayal.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 pm

I managed to get a signed copy of it when it came out. It was an enjoyable read.

My uncle was Roger Moore's milkman at one point :D Allegedly. I don't know where he was living at the time (Moore, that is - not my uncle.)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't think Moore wanted to be book Bond and he couldn't really be Connery Bond because he wasn't rugged enough or mean enough, but he was very close to Sean in terms of his swagger and attitude.
He did a good job, all things considered. He was at least more of a presence, I think than either Dalts or Brozzer.

Too bad he didn't take more interest in Fleming though. He wouldn't be blurting out such sacrilige as Amasova being Flemings original TSWLM character.

Ravenstone wrote:
I managed to get a signed copy of it when it came out. It was an enjoyable read.

My uncle was Roger Moore's milkman at one point :D Allegedly. I don't know where he was living at the time (Moore, that is - not my uncle.)

Uncle must have enjoyed making those deliveries. Chance to meet the star himself, who does seem to be very friendly and affable. Rog comes from very modest roots himself, which he makes clear in the book and really did pay his dues as an actor.
As an actor, he says he was very rarely challenged. He was always cast to play very similar dashing leading man roles.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 pm

This was long before Bond, when he was up and coming. My uncle said he was a very nice man - always polite and friendly, never any airs and graces, never treated him as a skivvy. And always gave him a Christmas tip.

I think this was when he was married to Squires, perhaps.

I wonder if my Mom can remember more.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 am

tiffanywint wrote:

The Rog does commit one terribly grevious Fleming error though.

Page 205 discussing TSWLM
"Incidentally the film was not based on Ian Fleming's book.When he wrote that particular adventure, Fleming told the story through the eyes of the female heroine, Anya Amasova."

That's nearly as grievous as one in Joan Collins' autobio, where she explains her STAR TREK character was in love with Adolf Hitler. Even ghostwriters can't factcheck, apparently.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm not a trekker but I think I've seen all of TOS.
You're talking about the episode where Kirk and company encounter Nazis on another planet? I do remember that episode.

I don't think the ghostwriters really care about fact checking. Their job is to transcribe the authors ramblings and make them coherent and interesting.

Too much work to check the author's facts.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 am

Actually it is not the Nazi one, but a time travel one, where they go back in time through a big glowing stone donut.

It's the one Harlan Ellison wrote (that got rewritten), CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, where Kirk meets the love of his life in depression era US. Collins is very sweet in it, believe it or not.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 am

trevanian wrote:
Actually it is not the Nazi one, but a time travel one, where they go back in time through a big glowing stone donut.

It's the one Harlan Ellison wrote (that got rewritten), CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER, where Kirk meets the love of his life in depression era US. Collins is very sweet in it, believe it or not.
but not one for remembering her character years later, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:27 am

I managed to grab a copy of Rog's book in hardcover on the bargain pile for only about $5 . I skimmed it after purchase and it looked quite interesting. Still have to get around to reading it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond   Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond Empty

Back to top Go down

Roger Moore's, My Word is My Bond
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: James Bond Merchandise-
Jump to: