More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Film Articles & Interviews Thread

Go down 
+14
Perilagu Khan
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Salomé
Largo's Shark
trevanian
Jack Wade
Hilly
saint mark
Gravity's Silhouette
Control
Harmsway
The White Tuxedo
colly
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Indeed that is exactly what we need more rationalisation and deconstruction of everyone, no decent anally retentive audience can live without it apparently. I may be a staunch atheist but every so often I just find myself praying for the rapture!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Greta Gerwig's film, Lady Bird, has topped Rotten Tomatoes list of films with 100% rating with 170 reviews. Toy Story 2 was the past mantle holder at 163 reviews. Trailer and article in the link.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/film-tv/film-with-10m-budget-best-rated-rotten-tomatoes/ 

Looking forward to watching this one. What's made the reception of this film brilliant is that it was made on a $10m budget. I wonder if this will encourage more films in the low-mid range budget. I've been feeling nostalgic for all those great 70s/80s/90s dramas such as those by Barry Levinson, Sydney Pollack and Mike Nichols, so here's hoping for a return to that style of film making.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Fascinating if old interview with Jacques Rivette. I disagree with much of it, but his assessment of Bunuel and Hitchcock is spot-on. Unless you're a feminist/puritan/brain damaged, of course:
Quote :

both had the balls to make films out of the obsessions that they carried around with them every day of their lives.

http://sensesofcinema.com/2001/jacques-rivette/rivette-2/

Nice to see some love for Lang and Melville as well. Amazing how cunts such as Tarantino have taken their place in history.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 8:34 am

Tarantino has never directed a scene half as good as the simple yet brilliant sequence in "Le Cercle Rouge" in which the goons find Alain Delon at the billiards hall.

I love Melville, but he does have one weakness imho: there is not a single even two-dimensional female character in his entire oeuvre.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am

Salomé wrote:
there is not a single even two-dimensional female character in his entire oeuvre.

Melville wasn't there to represent womankind and today would've been relentlessly pilloried if he'd done so. Besides, for those of us who remember Melville at all,  it is surely his individualism and non-conformism that makes him interesting.

Still, maybe it's as well he died so young. I don't think he would have survived an environment in which gender is fluid and rich women wear black dresses in protest against toxic masculinity. All that said  wink , what did you make of Leon Morin, Priest?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
there is not a single even two-dimensional female character in his entire oeuvre.

Melville wasn't there to represent womankind and today would've been relentlessly pilloried if he'd done so. Besides, for those of us who remember Melville at all,  it is surely his individualism and non-conformism that makes him interesting.

Still, maybe it's as well he died so young. I don't think he would have survived an environment in which gender is fluid and rich women wear black dresses in protest against toxic masculinity. All that said  wink , what did you make of Leon Morin, Priest?

I think you are conflating two things, 'female representation' in the modern mold (e.g. the insistence on "strong female characters") and the ability to write/create complex, multi-layered female characters.
Hitch was definitely capable of the latter. Melville had absolutely no interest in doing so, which is why the women in the majority of his films have more or less the same function as set dressing.

Which is also an issue in "Léon Morin, Prêtre". Obviously due to the nature of the source material, he could not completely eliminate the agency of the female role.
But the more faithful adaptation of the same novel, "La Confession", reveals the extent to which Melville made it fit into his narrower world view.

I would agree with Melville's non-conformism being key to his appeal (e.g. the obvious homo-erotic tension between Delon and Gian Maria Volonté in the abandoned apartment scene in the aforementioned "Le Cercle Rouge").
As well as the little quirks that reveal his love for the medium, like the police road block near the roadside monument devoted to Joseph Nicéphore Niépce (also in "Le Cercle Rouge").
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 pm

You may be right. We're in a time when everything is being conflated so I bow to your greater knowledge of Melville. That said, expecting a man to be able to write convincing female characters may be a bit much, particularly these days.

Right now, many ostensibly intelligent women no longer accept or grasp the concepts of personal responsibility or Due Process - I have no idea how to negotiate such an impasse between the sexes. To me, both concepts are fundamental to being an adult and a citizen, and I don't see how any democratic society can function in their absence. I despair if an educated woman can no longer differentiate between:

1. being propositioned;
2. a regretted or drunken tryst;
3. the act of rape

Now that's conflation.

The fact is, rape has been illegal since the earliest days of Western civilisation (although it is a most common female fantasy). Now, I won't pretend to understand what women want or to attempt to disentangle their highly contradictory sexuality; I am not qualified to do so. However, I very much doubt there are enough priests, gaols or psychiatrists to sort out the current mess the West finds itself in.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/oxfam/

Interestingly, I think the fact that Mary Beard felt the need to author this piece is a good example of the cultural shift you are talking of. It reminds me somewhat of how feminists are now attacking Margaret Atwood for believing in due process.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm

It is a cultural shift but it's not just that; there's a hysteria about today's politics that alarms me. This piece by Juliet Samuel places it in a wider quasi-religious context.

Quote :
[There is] an increasingly hard-line division of the world into the "profane" (rich, white, straight, male, conservative) and the "sacred" (poor, non-white, gay, female, Left-wing). It is a mentality that, as argued by the French sociologist Emile Durkheim, is a defining feature not of democratic politics, but of religion.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph/20180219/281513636628453
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 12:47 am

Best Picture winners ranked (according to Newsweek).

https://www.newsweek.com/all-best-picture-oscar-winners-ranked-according-critics-1022819?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=promoted&utm_term=aunwd_1022819_B

I'm making my way through it now. Crash should be lower than Forrest Gump.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am

"How Green was My Valley" at 56 makes me question the sanity of the people responsible for this list.

Is there anyone whose opinion is worth caring about who believes there have been 55! better movies rewarded with the statuette at the Academy Awards? ROTFLMAO

"Million Dollar Baby" is two places higher? jump "Slumdog Millionaire" four places higher?
Do they realize what Danny Boyle would give to manage even one movie half as good as John Ford's classic?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 9:36 am

This list is terrible for many reasons, but primarily because the critics responsible for it undervalue any movie made before 1970 and overvalue - by a ridiculous degree - any movie made in the past thirty years.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am

Argo at 23?

Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 Tenor
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 9:39 am

Glad to see that the terrific - far ahead of its time - "The best Years of our Lives" at least almost cracks the top 20. But it's still not a better movie than "How Green was My Valley".
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Salomé wrote:
Argo at 23?

Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 Tenor

Undeniably absurd, that one.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Painful to read. Any of the older films are slagged on for being older while they are immeasurably superior to the garbage the is newer.
Yes GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH is horrible and like a overlong circus ad. But it's still better than the last couple of "winners".

The heavily flawed Argo over...Kwai?!?!?!?!?!?!? All About Eve no. 1?????? What the hell is this BS?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 am

"All About Eve" definitely should make the top 20.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am

I'm not going to argue with the choices of children.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Of course, there is the added problem that Best Picture winners frequently were not the best movie of the year to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Salomé wrote:
Of course, there is the added problem that Best Picture winners frequently were not the best movie of the year to begin with.

Is there a single instance where the Academy got it right? I can't think of one.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

What stands out about the earlier awards is how many good candidates there were.

"How Green Was My Valley" beat out "Citizen Kane", "Rebecca" dispatched "Foreign Correspondent", "The Great Dictator", "Our Town" and "The Philadelphia Story", among others.

But I would argue that 1946 is a year in which they got it right:
Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 GTikL5Z
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Birdman was very deserving...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 12:43 am

Robert Pattinson is Batman? Seems a bit lightweight for the role, and I don't even care for superhero movies.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-1203230054/
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 11:43 am

He moved on from Twishite to appear in meatier fare, so he mightn't be too bad.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 am

He's not the problem, although it is a seemingly woeful situation. I like him in other things admittedly but can't possibly see him ever filling the cowl of the world's greatest detective. The studio and production is the problem. WB has been screwing over Batman ever since recutting Forever at the last minute and micromanaging the franchise ever since to the point of death.

I liked Begins and hated the Nolan sequels, but what has come out since has been just absolutely DIRE. So this will likely be more of the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film Articles & Interviews Thread   Film Articles & Interviews Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Film Articles & Interviews Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next