More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Replacing David Arnold

Go down 
+7
Louis Armstrong
MBalje
Harmsway
Chief of SIS
Makeshift Python
Control
Largo's Shark
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Replacing David Arnold Empty
PostSubject: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 am

Although it's been discussed God knows how many times, I might as well set one up.

Here are my main candidates:

Christopher Gunning -

Don Davis -

Elliot Goldenthal -

Lalo Schifrin -

Anyone got some more ideas?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:11 am

I'll nominate Alberto Iglesias...

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:18 am

I would love to hear Goldenthal have a crack at Bond. I think his Batman scores would be a better indicator of how he would approach Bond.

Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 am

I liked his score for SWAT too. Shame that PUBLIC ENEMIES was a bit of a disappointment.

Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:09 am

Goldenthal is my front-runner out of your list.

I must say though, I'm a big fan of Michael Giacchino...

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 am

Chief of SIS wrote:
Goldenthal is my front-runner out of your list.]

It's the most logical choice, I think. He's also said this of Barry:

"That's a unique talent, without being over fussy. He has all the technique that he needs to be complicated and yet having the will power and the skill to come up with these sometimes monumental, sometimes subconscious, rarified themes."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025117

RE: Giacchino. I find him pretty middle of the road, though I like score for RATATOUILLE.

Best thing he's done.

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 am

RATATOUILLE is probably also the best thing Pixar has done, when you get down to it.

I'll echo the enthusiasm for Goldenthal. He'd be great.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 am

Harmsway wrote:
RATATOUILLE is probably also the best thing Pixar has done, when you get down to it..

Brad Bird should return to Pixar. I'm not liking what I've seen of MI:4, though 1906 could be alright.

I watched TOY STORY 3 for the first time since I saw it in the cinema, the other night. I enjoyed it, a lot. More so than the second film.

Something's happening to me.

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 am

Sharky wrote:
Brad Bird should return to Pixar.
He was the best of the creators working there, that's for sure. I'm not optimistic about Pixar's future. A lot of their best talent seems to have moved elsewhere.

Sharky wrote:
I'm not liking what I've seen of MI:4, though 1906 could be alright.
I don't care for what I've seen of M:I-4, either. Aside from the lack of lens flares, it looks like Abrams directed it, not Bird. Bird may be a director who's particularly suited to the realm of animation, but is out of his depth as soon as he moves over to the world of live action.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:14 am

It doesn't matter who the composer is. Today's fast cutting means no music has time develop so it is crap by necessity. That's why Barry couldn't get a gig in later years.

May as well score all films with a drum machine. If it's a Roland TR808 I might even enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am

Since China and India confirmd i think about Brian Tyler http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003911/ as replacement. Mabey with help of David Arnold. The composer of Children of Dune and one of the tracks he made for this mini series is yused for a Dutch/Belgium creation traveling game program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKbm3lDA-Y From Law Abiding Citizen sound a bit like QOS

But there mabey be to much Con's:

American
Thriller composer / to much silence. See Law Abiding Citizen. Bond scores need more silence, but this is to much.

Battle: Los Angeles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjn80050VU Sound a bit to techno - Die Another Day to me.
The composer of Fast 5. Whyle i must see this sound good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdFNLH-xQM because it sound a bit like David Arnold QOS.
The composer of Rambo 4. With Daniel Craig playing Bond this can be problem.

There stil be some quistions or Bryan Tyler left or be a good replacement of David Arnold. David Arnold is very good in subtil things but i get the feeling he need new inspiration. What i like to see is less techo, more silence music, more outside subtil music. Liked the subtil TMWTGG Violin for QOS. For Bond 23 and Bond 25 (I like to see for Bond 25 there go to Egypt and Switzerland.) i like to heard more warm music. If you replace the soundmixer of CR, no techno and put down the music a litle bit (more silence) i think a part of the Madgascar music is CR is close to what i mean for some scene's and QOS is more what i like to hear for Bond 25. in general i prefer his music for QOS above CR. QOS music is my second favorite David Arnold score (after Twine) because it finaly have some changes.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Avarice wrote:
It doesn't matter who the composer is. Today's fast cutting means no music has time develop so it is crap by necessity. That's why Barry couldn't get a gig in later years.

May as well score all films with a drum machine. If it's a Roland TR808 I might even enjoy it.

They could hire this fellow. He'd be cheap and also has 155,000 subscribers on YouTube. These are the things that count.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Avarice wrote:
It doesn't matter who the composer is. Today's fast cutting means no music has time develop so it is crap by necessity.

I would say it's more the tight deadlines, studio pressure (i.e. Patrick Doyle capitulated to the execs write to a Zimmer-esque score for THOR), need for mockups, and overbearing sound effects.

M_Balje wrote:

There stil be some quistions or Bryan Tyler left or be a good replacement of David Arnold. David Arnold is very good in subtil things but i get the feeling he need new inspiration. What i like to see is less techo, more silence music, more outside subtil music.

If you want subtlety, Brian Tyler ain't your guy.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 am

Sharky wrote:
Although it's been discussed God knows how many times, I might as well set one up.
Although I wish all those old arguments against Arnold had been saved, I somehow don't want to have those conversations again.

Sharky wrote:
That's the good stuff. Would be nice to hear something with a jazz sensibility in Bond again.

I think Schifrin would be able to bring a nice swagger back to Bond. Goldenthal would be great, too. He could bring a more brooding, violent sound that would fit Craig's Bond well.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:26 am

Louis Armstrong wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Although I wish all those old arguments against Arnold had been saved, I somehow don't want to have those conversations again.

I don't think we are.

Have you thought 'bout doing those re-score videos again? Giving the John Barry (or even Kamen or Conti) treatment to the Craig era.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 am

Sharky wrote:
I don't think we are.
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that. :) It's nice to see a thread about other possible composers like this one.

Sharky wrote:
Have you thought 'bout doing those re-score videos again? Giving the John Barry (or even Kamen or Conti) treatment to the Craig era.
I'd forgotten all about that. Might be fun to give it another whirl. The ones I made were in pretty terrible quality. Here's one I thought worked well:

https://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/fff99/?action=view&current=PokerDinnerAbduction2.mp4

Although posting this sort of thing just leads to comments like 'John Barry ain't scoring another Bond, so piss off'... But I guess that's a definite now that he's passed, isn't it? laugh Maybe I could snitch some Goldenthal from somewhere. His music's definitely got a lot of personality.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm

I now fully endorse Brown's suggestion of Iglesias for Bond.

Here are some of my favourite tracks from TINKER.

Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 2:35 am

#1 on the list would definitely be Schifrin. It's one of those things that really should have happened already. I mean, heck, if he's willing to work with Brett Ratner (and do good work for him, no less), then I'm sure he'd be more than happy to do a Bond film.

Other than that, for some reason I'd like to see Peter Gabriel do a Bond film. Both the song and the score. Just for something different.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:42 am

Has Gabriel done a score since THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

Sharky wrote:
Has Gabriel done a score since THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST?
RABBIT-PROOF FENCE.
Back to top Go down
Aris

Aris

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm

I'd add James Newton Howard. 8 Oscar nomitations and many many big scores under his belt.

Michael Clayton, Blood Diamond, The Postman, The Last Airbender and many more.

Generally I think he can put so many feelings in his music something that's been missing from Bond lately with Arnold's dull and static scores.

Here's a bit.

And my favourite

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Replacing David Arnold Vomiting

That's exactly the kind of sound I DON'T want.

Don't get me wrong though. I like Howard, and I think he's written some fine scores in the past (THE FUGITIVE, SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, SIGNS etc.), but his more recent stuff circa KING KONG leaves me cold. Especially MICHAEL CLAYTON.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:44 pm

For all his Oscar nominations and whatnot, Howard's most famous work is still this:

I don't typically mind him, but the last few scores I've heard from him have been very ordinary, and Green Lantern was just ear-bleedingly bad.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I like Howard's work, his recent stuff has been unfairly saddled by films that imo are somewhat inconsistent in tone themselves and it's that more than anything else that ends up colouring a soundtrack.

It's not a typical Bond sound but I liked Tom Twykers score for 'The International'.

Likewise though his 'sound' is more earthy and orchestral than usual for Bond I'd like the hear Trevor Jones' take on the theme and genre.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I've bumped this thread just to show Prisoner Monkeys that I DO suggest replacements for Arnold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing David Arnold   Replacing David Arnold Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing David Arnold
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next