These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?
Yes
20%
 20% [ 7 ]
No
80%
 80% [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 35
 

AuthorMessage
Lazenby.
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1268
Member Since : 2010-04-15
Location : 1969

PostSubject: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm

In the possibly near future I can easily see the prospect of a "black Bond" emerging, given the statement-making and sometimes PC nature of the current Bond team.  Blocks are being knocked over under this regime.  M was cast as a woman, Moneypenny may now be "black", two films have opened without a gunbarrel, the entire series was "rebooted" for seemingly no other reason than to follow current modern trends, while Bond was arguably "pussified" at the hands of a few women in the 90s films and turned into a drivel-spouting wuss by one at the end of CR.  There's also the bar scene with Felix in QOS.  ;)

So, do you think Babs & Mike would consider earning some big-time PC brownie points by casting a gay Bond anytime in the near future...?
Back to top Go down
CJB
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3673
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : 'Straya

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 pm

At first I thought you meant if they'd make Bond a homosexual character. I don't think even the Babs Brigade would go that far, though I'm sure a "bi-curious" episode is swimming somewhere in Ms Broccoli's subconscious.

I don't think they're deliberately paving the way for a gay actor to play Bond, but if the opportunity should arise, I've no doubt Babs would grasp at it with both paws. The controversy alone would generate a tremendous amount of publicity. Not to mention that Babs would gleefuly suck up all the lauding of her progressiveness. Could it happen in the near future? I don't see why not.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Gay actor or depicted as gay?

Don't see it, depicted as gay I mean. It's no big deal any more but the character himself just isn't gay. You could have a gay villain, threatening to rape Bond (Colonel Sun in a way did just that). But Bond himself would not be homosexual or bisexual.

Black I also don't see coming (look who's talkin there). We'd sooner have a Bond with tribals all over than a black Bond.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 pm

CJB wrote:


I don't think they're deliberately paving the way for a gay actor to play Bond, but if the opportunity should arise, I've no doubt Babs would grasp at it with both paws. The controversy alone would generate a tremendous amount of publicity. Not to mention that Babs would gleefuly suck up all the lauding of her progressiveness. Could it happen in the near future? I don't see why not.


I don't even think it would generate THAT much publicity any more. If somebody is gay it's very much their own business today. Of course an openly gay actor would make headlines. But just for a few days. After that it would boil down to whether he can convince in the role. If not the series is dead. The world at large would not care a lot, that's just us fans. Would make no difference if Connery or Moore or Lazenby came out of the closet tomorrow. Within a week nobody would talk about it any more.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 853
Member Since : 2010-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:51 pm

I for one am outraged
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3854
Member Since : 2011-04-16
Location : Inside my safe space

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

CJB wrote:
At first I thought you meant if they'd make Bond a homosexual character.

That's what I thought, but I voted "yes" anyway...and I stand by it.

Quote :
I don't think even the Babs Brigade would go that far, though I'm sure a "bi-curious" episode is swimming somewhere in Ms Broccoli's subconscious.

I could quite easily see there being a Bond Guy...a good looking character that is gay...maybe the villain's computer programmer or weapons expert....that Bond has to seduce in order to get information. The character will be a supporting character, and there will be a lead Bond Girl cast for the rest of the movie. But yeah, it's coming.

As for the actor playing the role....we already have a bisexual actor in the role, so anything is possible. As long as the actor can ACT, it won't matter to me the sexuality of the actor.

I think we're also very likely to get a Muslim Bond Girl at some point, along with a handicappedcapable character such as Bond Girl or Q, because we all know that Bond now exists to apologize to the rest of the world for Britain being such an advanced country that enjoys white privilege.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 3464
Member Since : 2011-03-22
Location : The high plains

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 pm

There should be a "Maybe" option. I think there's a far greater likelihood that Babs and lackeys are paving the way for a black Bond, which would be equally bad.
Back to top Go down
M
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 536
Member Since : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:30 am

I don't think Bond would ever be written as gay unless at some point in the future there were more homosexual men in the world than heterosexual. So it's no for now from me, I can't see them going that way. Black Bond? I can see that though, probably at some point within the next 10 years.



Back to top Go down
http://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2852
Member Since : 2011-03-28
Location : I don't know what things will be like in 3 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 am

I'll walk if there's a black Bond.

Those who think I'm racist can kiss my ass.

Make sure you shave first, and your nose better not be cold, I don't want to jump.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 649
Member Since : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 am

Now I'm confused - are we talking about a gay Bond or a gay actor playing Bond? Bond is not gay so I wouldn't like to see a gay Bond, but I don't really give a toss who the actor playing him sleeps with, as long as he's convincing when he's on the screen.
What I wouldn't mind, although I think it would be very hard to do well, is Bond being in the position of having to, well, deal with the advances of a gay man as part of his cover, in the same way he had to make up to Tatiana in FRWL. I wouldn't want it to go too far but I do like to see our man overcome a challenge and that would be one.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

I could quite easily see there being a Bond Guy...a good looking character that is gay...maybe the villain's computer programmer or weapons expert....that Bond has to seduce in order to get information. The character will be a supporting character, and there will be a lead Bond Girl cast for the rest of the movie. But yeah, it's coming.

I doubt it.

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
As for the actor playing the role....we already have a bisexual actor in the role, so anything is possible.

Craig is bisexual? News to me. What's your source?

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
I think we're also very likely to get a Muslim Bond Girl at some point, along with a handicappedcapable character such as Bond Girl or Q, because we all know that Bond now exists to apologize to the rest of the world for Britain being such an advanced country that enjoys white privilege.

The Bond films don't apologise on behalf of Britain anything like as much as the Bourne films apologise on behalf of the States.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 3464
Member Since : 2011-03-22
Location : The high plains

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:13 am

You misread GS' third quote, Loomis. Actually, we'd LOVE it if Bond praised Great Britain and told everybody else to get stuffed.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 3464
Member Since : 2011-03-22
Location : The high plains

PostSubject: a   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:16 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
I'll walk if there's a black Bond.

Those who think I'm racist can kiss my ass.

You tell 'em, AS.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3675
Member Since : 2011-03-17
Location : making mudpies

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
As for the actor playing the role....we already have a bisexual actor in the role, so anything is possible.
laugh

Yep, the Bond and Felix at the bar scene was pretty gay. Babs was definitely pushing the evelope there, and with Craig's tacit approval. The subtext wasn't even subtle. Then again, DC happily puts on frocks for her, so who knows what he thinks. He may just do what he's told. Whipped.
I voted yes because I wouln't put anything past Babs. She lives to plump her progressive bonafides. She's completely nuts.
Realistically though, the money-people won't stand for it - Bond being a homosexual or Bond being black. Won't happen. Can't put the financial welfare of the franchise at risk like that.
Babs will just have to keep sneaking in her little progressive digs, which means the series could really suck for a long long time. Maybe the reconstituted MGM will find a way to force her out, if things get too crazy, along with that suddenly impotent brother of hers.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3854
Member Since : 2011-04-16
Location : Inside my safe space

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:25 pm

tiffanywint wrote:


Yep, the Bond and Felix at the bar scene was pretty gay. Babs was definitely pushing the evelope there, and with Craig's tacit approval. The subtext wasn't even subtle. Then again, DC happily puts on frocks for her, so who knows what he thinks. He may just do what he's told. Whipped.

Really? I'll have to watch that scene more carefully next time (I need to buy it, but I'm waiting to see whether MGM/FOX triple-dips on the blu-ray releases next year)

Quote :
Realistically though, the money-people won't stand for it - Bond being a homosexual or Bond being black. Won't happen. Can't put the financial welfare of the franchise at risk like that.

Well, that's one reason why I suggested that at some point in the near future we'd get a Bond Guy.... a man that 007 has to seduce, kiss, grope...something sensual in order to get information or save lives or convert to being a good guy instead of a villain's flunkie, because I don't think that Bond is necessarily just going to jump out of the closet one day in one big fell swoop. It's the old boiling-frog scenario. These changes take place gradually over time. Mads Mikkelsen was allowed by EON and SONY to suggest in interviews that Le Chiffre was gay and nothing from the production company or studio was ever said or done to refute Mads' claims. Craig's baby blue plum-smugglers scene in CR was a bone...a reward thrown to female and gay male audience members. So while Bond himself hasn't been changed too much just yet, his universe is certainly changing. What gets put up on the screen and filtered down to the audience is certainly changing.

You can make a fair argument that EON is trying to appeal to a diverse group of people who go to the movies. Okay, fine. I can accept that. But when does it stop? At what point have you quit appealing to diverse groups of people and instead crossed over into activism? At what point have you changed the fundamental nature of James Bond? My problem with making Bond black or gay is that it assumes the current audience members, millions of whom already are black and/or gay, *WANT* James Bond to be portrayed as black or gay or female somewhere down the line, and that they'll bolt if this is not made to happen. Most of the minority audience members are there because they love James Bond just the way he is (or used to be).

But once you let the "diversity" genie out of the bottle, it never ends. There's no point at which you come to where you have satisfied all potentially aggrieved minority groups by making substantial changes to the 007 series. And, quite often, the changes that get made only appeal to fringe movements in these minority groups, and not the heart and soul of the minority group themselves. And once you've made changes to the series that fundamentally change the nature of Bond, you enter the "and then" phase, where the changes never stop because the goal posts keep getting moved:




Oh, one other thing....you're assuming that the "money-men" themselves won't be interested in changing Bond's nature. It's a fair conclusion to draw, but I think you're underestimating the pull of progressives and liberals in Hollywood. Don't be so quick to assume they'll see it the same way we do. Hollywood has almost no creativity left (witness the countless reboots and remakes being made these days). There's a studio exec or a banker out there right now waiting to produce a black themed or gay-themed James Bond film. It's coming, whether Babs Cauliflower et.al. are behind it, or a new production team.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Yep, the Bond and Felix at the bar scene was pretty gay. Babs was definitely pushing the evelope there, and with Craig's tacit approval. The subtext wasn't even subtle.

I'm afraid it went completely over my head. I presume you're referring to the bar encounter in QUANTUM OF SOLACE? Well, what on earth is gay about that scene? Serious question. I'm perfectly willing to be convinced, but I honestly have no idea what you mean. Is it that two guys chatting a bar is automatically gay?

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Mads Mikkelsen was allowed by EON and SONY to suggest in interviews that Le Chiffre was gay and nothing from the production company or studio was ever said or done to refute Mads' claims.

Since when is a gay (or possibly gay) villain in a Bond adventure something new? You don't mind Fleming suggesting Scaramanga is gay, yet as soon as Eon does the exact same thing decades later you think that political correctness has gone mad all of a sudden. And what about Charles Gray's performance in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER? His Blofeld is a villain so "gay" as to make Mikkelsen's Le Chiffre look like a poster boy for heterosexuality! (But I don't see you bemoaning that Eon embraced "activism" in 1971.)

And I'll ask again: what's your source for claiming that Craig is bisexual?
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3854
Member Since : 2011-04-16
Location : Inside my safe space

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:42 am

Loomis wrote:

Since when is a gay (or possibly gay) villain in a Bond adventure something new? You don't mind Fleming suggesting Scaramanga is gay, yet as soon as Eon does the exact same thing decades later you think that political correctness has gone mad all of a sudden. And what about Charles Gray's performance in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER? His Blofeld is a villain so "gay" as to make Mikkelsen's Le Chiffre look like a poster boy for heterosexuality! (But I don't see you bemoaning that Eon embraced "activism" in 1971.)

You're comparing bananas to donuts. I've never stated that homosexuality, manifest or implied, is anything new to the series. However:

#1 there is a difference in the way it is being approached and marketed in 2008 versus 1971. Forty years ago Wint and Kidd's relationship was used as comic relief; you could not get the same scene with Wint looking aroused as his coat tails are jammed up his arse cheeks into a Bond film today.

#2 And DAF's cross-dressing scenes and same-gender hand-holding scenes were meant to amuse a heterosexual audience; today, Craig's films are deliberately being written and produced and directed to also quietly appeal to a female and gay male demographic. As a free-market capitalist, I agree with the idea of expanding upon your consumer base....but be careful that you don't expand to the point where you've radically changed who Bond is.

#3 I've always said I have no problem with either a spin off series of MI6 films involving gay or female or black 00-agents (I think it makes sense to make those films), or Bond having a sidekick in a movie that is gay, but that Bond himself should not be changed. Yet there's a nagging feeling inside of me that says it's going to be James Bond that is ultimately changed, because the powers that be don't see the PR value of getting across the political points they want to make with characters and actors who aren't well known or established. After all, why go out and create an original '00' character with his/her own line of films when you can simply piggyback off the success of James Bond (Craig's PSA for International Womyn's Day being the best, most recent example) to make all your socio-economic-cultural points?

#4 "In an interview with the U.K.’s Daily Star, Craig said he’d like to see Hollywood “modernize” 007 by letting him bat for both sides. When asked whether he thought the infamous lady’s man should go bisexual, Craig replied, “Why not? I think in this day and age fans would have accepted it. No one blinks an eye.”

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/253049#ixzz1WEf8RP28

We've got an actor who is willing and openly advocating for the chance to have Bond be bisexual, a producer who has shown she's got no problem using prostituting the James Bond character to highlight and underscore the social problems in the world she feels people need to be paying attention to, and there is still any doubt as to the intentions of Babs Broccoli and Daniel Craig in regard to this film series?

Quote :
And I'll ask again: what's your source for claiming that Craig is bisexual?

Daniel Craig. He is my source. In addition to Craig's own numerous statements about wanting to make his Bond have male and female partners (something that a staunchly heterosexual actor would never even be thinking about), there have been plenty of blog and tabloid reports claiming that Craig has had a "boyfriend" (up until he married Rachel Weisz) and been seen kissing guys and even dancing in gay club with a guy (or guys). We had this long, drawn out discussion on this matter 15 months ago over at CBn.

People may want to slag off on these reports as just tabloid garbage, but just remember: it was the National Enquirer who broke the news about John Edwards cheating on his wife with a campaign worker...it was the National Enquirer who broke the story of Gary Hart cheating on his wife with a model named Donna Rice and a yacht called The Monkey Business; a fact that forced Gary Hart to abandon his dream of becoming president in 1988. After years of half-heartedly denying he had been in a relationship with a man, Gavin Rossdale finally conceded he'd had a boyfriend for 5 years or so back in the mid-80's; a story constantly pushed by the tabloids.

It is what it is.


Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:02 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

Daniel Craig. He is my source. In addition to Craig's own numerous statements about wanting to make his Bond have male and female partners (something that a staunchly heterosexual actor would never even be thinking about), there have been plenty of blog and tabloid reports claiming that Craig has had a "boyfriend" (up until he married Rachel Weisz) and been seen kissing guys and even dancing in gay club with a guy (or guys). We had this long, drawn out discussion on this matter 15 months ago over at CBn.

People may want to slag off on these reports as just tabloid garbage, but just remember: it was the National Enquirer who broke the news about John Edwards cheating on his wife with a campaign worker...it was the National Enquirer who broke the story of Gary Hart cheating on his wife with a model named Donna Rice and a yacht called The Monkey Business; a fact that forced Gary Hart to abandon his dream of becoming president in 1988. After years of half-heartedly denying he had been in a relationship with a man, Gavin Rossdale finally conceded he'd had a boyfriend for 5 years or so back in the mid-80's; a story constantly pushed by the tabloids.

So the tabloids are always right, are they? Just because they were correct on Gavin Rossdale it must also mean they're reliable all the time?

Anyway, what are "Craig's own numerous statements about wanting to make his Bond have male and female partners"? If memory serves, he's consistently said that he doesn't want to go down this route. You say that this has been discussed on CBn before, but I'd like to see a reliable source for these apparent claims from Craig (which if they were true would by now definitely have been discussed even more than the Bourne influence on QUANTUM OF SOULLESS).

And claims that he's had a boyfriend? Oh, please. There's probably not a single famous actor who hasn't had gay rumours attached to him. I've read claims that Sylvester Stallone is gay, for crying out loud. And I've heard gay rumours involving two of the other Bond actors, and I imagine there have been rumours about all of them.

In Britain, Craig is known as a ladies' man. Over on your side of the Bond, he may be commonly thought of as "that well-known bisexual actor Daniel Cregg", but I assure you that that isn't his public image over here. And if he were gay or bi, then as one of the most famous people in Britain (not to mention the reigning 007) you can bet that the tabloids would have outed him a hundred times over by now, and with irrefutable proof. What, you think the folks at the News of the World would have said to themselves "Well, we've hacked Daniel Craig's phone and we've established that he's been cheating on his long-term girlfriend with a man, so we'll run the story and---- nah, wait, no one'll be interested, let's just drop it"?

ETA: I did, of course, mean to write "over on your side of the pond", not "Bond", but I thought I'd leave this amusing Freudian slip where it is. :D


Last edited by Loomis on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Santa
Senior Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 649
Member Since : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 am

Loomis wrote:
tiffanywint wrote:

Yep, the Bond and Felix at the bar scene was pretty gay. Babs was definitely pushing the evelope there, and with Craig's tacit approval. The subtext wasn't even subtle.

I'm afraid it went completely over my head. I presume you're referring to the bar encounter in QUANTUM OF SOLACE? Well, what on earth is gay about that scene? Serious question. I'm perfectly willing to be convinced, but I honestly have no idea what you mean. Is it that two guys chatting a bar is automatically gay?


Same here. I'm clearly more innocent than I realised because any gay subtext in that scene went straight over my head.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:25 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
#4 "In an interview with the U.K.’s Daily Star, Craig said he’d like to see Hollywood “modernize” 007 by letting him bat for both sides. When asked whether he thought the infamous lady’s man should go bisexual, Craig replied, “Why not? I think in this day and age fans would have accepted it. No one blinks an eye.”

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/253049#ixzz1WEf8RP28

Oops. I didn't see this. However, this doesn't mean it's true.

As for visiting gay bars, well, I've never done it myself but I do know a couple of straight men who've been to gay bars (accompanying gay friends), so Craig's setting foot in such an establishment hardly proves he's gay or bisexual. Kissing men? Well, again, it proves nothing (especially as he's an actor and actors are by definition theatrical, flamboyant and envelope-pushing :D ). If he was a bit drunk and gave a male pal of his a quick kiss on the lips, well, that's the sort of thing that straight blokes do all the time. I mean, I've never done it myself - but I've seen it done. It's horseplay, not homosexuality.

Anyway, I remain unconvinced that we're just a couple of films away from seeing Bond as simultaneously a homosexual and a practising Muslim. For the simple reason that I don't see any call for it. If Hollywood was as politically correct as you seem to believe, we'd have had openly gay action heroes long before now. John McClane would have had a boyfriend in LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, while there'd be a forthcoming LETHAL WEAPON reboot featuring Riggs and Murtaugh (both black this time round) as lovers (lending new meaning to the catchphrase of "I'm too old for this shit").... but none of this has happened in other action franchises, so why is it poised to happen in Bond?


Last edited by Loomis on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3854
Member Since : 2011-04-16
Location : Inside my safe space

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:25 am

Loomis wrote:

So the tabloids are always right, are they? Just because they were correct on Gavin Rossdale it must also mean they're reliable all the time?

They may not be right all the time, but what news organization is? It's not possible to be right 100% of the time; I've tried it, it doesn't work. But I'm as close to right as anyone can be. I could't be any more righter if my name were Righty007. Besides, reporting on these sort of sleazy stories is what they do best. If anyone is going to nail down a celebrities sexual peccadilloes (that's not a type of sex toy, Mrs.Sects), it's going to be a tabloid. Give 'em credit for specializing and being successful in at least one thing.


Quote :
Anyway, what are "Craig's own numerous statements about wanting to make his Bond have male and female partners"? If memory serves, he's consistently said that he doesn't want to go down this route. You say that this has been discussed on CBn before, but I'd like to see a reliable source for these apparent claims from Craig (which if they were true would by now definitely have been discussed even more than the Bourne influence on QUANTUM OF SOULLESS).

(hee hee) Well, since my posts no longer exist over at CBn, it's kind of hard to point back to a specific one. But the May 28th, 2010 tabloid report about several people seeing Craig and a male companion dance at a gay bar and then kiss in the parking lot was extensively covered at CBn.

2006: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/94934/actor_daniel_craigs_request_for_a_bisexual.html?cat=9
2008: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/33717/Live-And-Let-Bi/
2010: http://www.showbizspy.com/article/205944/daniel-craig-fuels-gay-rumors-by-french-kissing-another-sexy-guy.html


Quote :
And claims that he's had a boyfriend? Oh, please. There's probably not a single famous actor who hasn't had gay rumours attached to him. I've read claims that Sylvester Stallone is gay, for crying out loud. And I've heard gay rumours involving two of the other Bond actors, and I imagine there have been rumours about all of them.

I agree that you're not famous until you've been "outed" by the tabloids. I believe in letting people live their lives in private, but if you're a celebrity, and you're also playing one of the world's most iconic male sex symbols in the history of civilization, going into a gay bar called Roosterfish in Southern California, dancing with a guy, French kissing a guy, and letting another guy rub your leg isn't what I'd consider private behavior, and it certainly isn't going to do much to help convince people you are 100% straight.

Quote :
And if he were gay or bi, then as one of the most famous people in Britain (not to mention the reigning 007) you can bet that the tabloids would have outed him a hundred times over by now, and with irrefutable proof.

Or maybe they have outed him and just nobody cared. His alleged bisexuality didn't stop me from seeing COWBOYS AND ALIENS (wish it had, though; not a great film). Or maybe it's just a cultural thing. Europeans seem to be more willing to "experiment" or have several different lovers of different genders and not pin themselves down on any labels. In America, we want our sexuality black and white, in easy-to-conform-to labels.


Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Loomis wrote:

Since when is a gay (or possibly gay) villain in a Bond adventure something new? You don't mind Fleming suggesting Scaramanga is gay, yet as soon as Eon does the exact same thing decades later you think that political correctness has gone mad all of a sudden. And what about Charles Gray's performance in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER? His Blofeld is a villain so "gay" as to make Mikkelsen's Le Chiffre look like a poster boy for heterosexuality! (But I don't see you bemoaning that Eon embraced "activism" in 1971.)

Quote :
And I'll ask again: what's your source for claiming that Craig is bisexual?

Daniel Craig. He is my source. In addition to Craig's own numerous statements about wanting to make his Bond have male and female partners (something that a staunchly heterosexual actor would never even be thinking about), there have been plenty of blog and tabloid reports claiming that Craig has had a "boyfriend" (up until he married Rachel Weisz) and been seen kissing guys and even dancing in gay club with a guy (or guys). We had this long, drawn out discussion on this matter 15 months ago over at CBn.

People may want to slag off on these reports as just tabloid garbage, but just remember: it was the National Enquirer who broke the news about John Edwards cheating on his wife with a campaign worker...it was the National Enquirer who broke the story of Gary Hart cheating on his wife with a model named Donna Rice and a yacht called The Monkey Business; a fact that forced Gary Hart to abandon his dream of becoming president in 1988. After years of half-heartedly denying he had been in a relationship with a man, Gavin Rossdale finally conceded he'd had a boyfriend for 5 years or so back in the mid-80's; a story constantly pushed by the tabloids.

It is what it is.





Hey! For a moment you really had me belief you had first hand (or mouth or... well, you get the idea) information there! Bit weak case don'tcha think?
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 1414
Member Since : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:33 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
but if you're a celebrity, and you're also playing one of the world's most iconic male sex symbols in the history of civilization, going into a gay bar called Roosterfish in Southern California, dancing with a guy, French kissing a guy, and letting another guy rub your leg isn't what I'd consider private behavior, and it certainly isn't going to do much to help convince people you are 100% straight.

Well, if it was French kissing, then, yes, that would seem to suggest that someone shops on both sides of the street.... but, honestly, how reliable are these reports? Not very, I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3854
Member Since : 2011-04-16
Location : Inside my safe space

PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:41 am

Loomis wrote:
Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
#4 "In an interview with the U.K.’s Daily Star, Craig said he’d like to see Hollywood “modernize” 007 by letting him bat for both sides. When asked whether he thought the infamous lady’s man should go bisexual, Craig replied, “Why not? I think in this day and age fans would have accepted it. No one blinks an eye.”

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/253049#ixzz1WEf8RP28

Oops. I didn't see this. However, this doesn't mean it's true.

As for visiting gay bars, well, I've never done it myself but I do know a couple of straight men who've been to gay bars (accompanying gay friends), so Craig's setting foot in such an establishment hardly proves he's gay or bisexual. Kissing men? Well, again, it proves nothing (especially as he's an actor and actors are by definition theatrical, flamboyant and envelope-pushing :D ). If he was a bit drunk and gave a male pal of his a quick kiss on the lips, well, that's the sort of thing that straight blokes do all the time. I mean, I've never done it myself - but I've seen it done. It's horseplay, not homosexuality.

I know some women like to go to gay bars so that they can drink, socialize and avoid getting hit on by drunk, insufferable straight guys. I know some straight guys have gone into gay bars just to hang out and be progressive and open-minded, but gay bars before Craigslist existed for a reason: to help people with like-minded sensibilities find one another so that they don't end up wasting a lot of time chasing down non-interested people in straight or mixed-bars (among other reasons).

If Craig went into the gay bar with his girlfriend or wife, this story would probably never have seen the light of day. But you've got allegations from multiple sources that Craig went there...with a guy...that he danced with...kissed...and rubbed up against...and somehow this is NOT evidence of at least bisexuality? Oooookay.

There were already "gay rumors" about him (I think mostly coming from his already having played gay roles and his stated desire to play another one in INFAMOUS), so I tend to discount the early allegations. I also tend to discount some of the allegations because they appear to be made by people who are wishing it to be true rather than reporting that it is true.

Frankly, I'm a bit sick and tired of Craig's activist pretensions towards the role: "In today's world we expect female actresses to go naked so why not men? I have told bosses I'm prepared to do a full frontal scene. I'm not shy and Bond wouldn't be shy about it either." My feeling on such a statement is that if you're going to do it, just do it. Dont rationalize it, don't make a moral equivalency argument about it. Don't tie it into social causes or movements or gender equality or male-empowerment, bumper-sticker slogans. Just do it!!! (Where have I heard that phrase before?)

I think I have a better grasp, now, on why Babs was so keen on getting Daniel Craig to be the next James Bond: in addition to his hard body....his full, sensuous lips...and his perky, proud pecs, he also shares her admirable but misguided activist policies and agendas. I just hope that I live long enough to see the day when there will be an actual focus on James Bond the character again, and not on putting Bond in a dress, or making sure that he is schooled on sexual harassment laws by a very horny Miss Moneypenny.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?   

Back to top Go down
 
Previous Debate: Are the current team paving the way for a gay Bond?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: James Bond Fan Area-
Jump to: