These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business   Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 am

When ILM divested itself of creatureshop and miniature makers a few years back, the group stayed together and made up Kerner Optical Lab (which is kind of an in-joke, since Kerner Optical is what was on the door at ILM for years, before they moved to The Presidio.) Anyway, it is kind of an end-of-era thing, since guys who have been building miniatures there since the original SW are I guess at this point out of work.
http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/kerner-optical-closing-its-doors/
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business   Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:40 am

Who are the main players in miniatures these days? I loved Mark Stetson's modelmaking, but I am badly out of touch, having lost interest with the demise of Les Bowie and his protege Derek Meddings.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business   Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 am

New Deal (formerly Hunter Gratzner Industries) are just about the only folks I know of. They do work on most Scorsese pics, including a big model train crash in HUGO and a shot for REAL STEEL.

They also do the miniature work in the BATMAN movies and INCEPTION as well, and are on the new BATflick now. They do fantastic far-out stuff as well as photo-real things (the miniature church used for much of END OF DAYS' conclusion is a thing of beauty, I've told these guys they need to do a coffee table book of their work.)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business   Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Avarice wrote:
Who are the main players in miniatures these days? I loved Mark Stetson's modelmaking, but I am badly out of touch, having lost interest with the demise of Les Bowie and his protege Derek Meddings.

Bill Pearson (model maker on ALIEN) is still in the business. He designed the models for Duncan Jones's MOON.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business   

Back to top Go down

Kerner Optical (formerly ILM's model shop) out of business
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: