These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last Movie you Watched?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Santa
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Santa wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
too slight
Sometimes that's a good thing.
Not when one is talking about would-be masterpieces.
I think I felt the same about 10 years ago. Fortunately I managed to grow out of it.

:)
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Slightness of story is one thing, and is neither inherently good or bad. Slightness of meaning, however, is a bit more problematic.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Double meanings here. Santa is referring to her body mass.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Sharky wrote:
Hah. I should have picked up on that.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 pm

I love this series of events:

1. Sharky uses a White review to explain why he doesn't like LOST IN TRANSLATION.
2. It is rebutted with an Ebert review.
3. Sharky posts, in full, White's denouncement of Ebert.

It's like the Vietnam War in here.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Rock-paper-White
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

I guess Sharky is Kissinger.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Dare I ask, who the Hell is Nixon in this scenario?
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I love this series of events:

1. Sharky uses a White review to explain why he doesn't like LOST IN TRANSLATION.
2. It is rebutted with an Ebert review.
3. Sharky posts, in full, White's denouncement of Ebert.

Vietnam lacked the entertainment value.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Hilly wrote:

Armond White. Misunderstood grumpy old c***.
Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Sharky wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Armond White. Misunderstood grumpy old c***.

Gotcha. He likewise isn't a crook.

He must have an ego to match.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Got to go now. Going to get some deep throat.
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Marnie

The Naked Spur
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
The horror... The horror...
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Slightness of story is one thing, and is neither inherently good or bad. Slightness of meaning, however, is a bit more problematic.

But isn't "meaning" something that's very often in the eye of the beholder, whether we're talking about great films, good films, so-so films or poor films?

I'd also argue that it's not necessarily damaging (all other aspects being more than equal, of course) for the meaning of a film to be elusive or even downright invisible. I'm not sure what the meaning of CHUNGKING EXPRESS is, or what the meaning of PULP FICTION is, but I've enjoyed both those films on several occasions.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Loomis wrote:
But isn't "meaning" something that's very often in the eye of the beholder, whether we're talking about great films, good films, so-so films or poor films?
I'm something of a dinosaur for saying this, but no, I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 am

But wouldn't you agree that there are plenty of excellent films that don't have an immediately obvious "meaning" or "message"? What's wrong with such things being open to interpretation? Doesn't that tend to make a film more interesting? Just to take one of the best films I've seen this year as an example, the protagonists of Mike Leigh's ANOTHER YEAR can just as easily be viewed as selfish and manipulative as they can be viewed as kindly and generous, depending on how one elects to interpret their behaviour.

I'd also say that many terrific, indeed classic, flicks end up offering nuggets of wisdom that in and of themselves are very slim and trite indeed, e.g. Crime Doesn't Pay, Follow Your Star and so on.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 am

Loomis wrote:
But wouldn't you agree that there are plenty of excellent films that don't have an immediately obvious "meaning" or "message"?
Certainly.

FWIW, I don't mean "meaning" in a way that is synonymous "message," since "message" implies that a film would function as an essay built around a single thesis statement. In truth, the meaning of a work of art is harder to pin down. Works of art are bigger than a single thesis sentence, more complicated. I'm using "meaning" as a blanket term for all that there is to investigate in and extrapolate from a work of art.

Loomis wrote:
I'd also say that many terrific, indeed classic, flicks end up offering nuggets of wisdom that in and of themselves are very slim and trite indeed, e.g. Crime Doesn't Pay, Follow Your Star and so on.
If those nuggets are actually all those films have to offer, I'd have to suggest they're probably somewhat lacking, at least to the extent that they would not qualify as masterpieces.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 am

Harmsway wrote:
"message" implies that a film would function as an essay built around a single thesis statement.

It seems to me that quite a few of the screenwriting gurus out there believe that that's precisely how a film ought to function. Not that I agree, but just sayin'.

Back to top Go down
Seve
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:40 am

King Of The Khyber Rifles
stirring stuff from the age of empire, a swashbuckling sub genre popular in the 40s
Gary Cooper did "Lives Of A Bengal Lancer", Cary Grant and Doug Fairbanks jr did "Gunga Dhin" and much of Errol Flynn's "Charge Of The Light Brigade" is set in India
this is Tyrone Powers entry in the field
what lifts it out of the ordinary is that the main theme is racial intolerance, Power plays a man with an English father and an Indian mother, who has to deal with various subtle and not so subtle shades of racism, while serving on the infamous North West Frontier
the film also features the most prominent involvement of punkas and punka-wallahs this side of "It Ain't Half Hot Mum"
every second scene seems to have a punka flapping low overhead with someone asking the punka-wallah to speed up, or cursing the punka-wallah, or going to the window to see where the punka-wallah has got to
the justification for this comes when the punka-wallah turns out to be a bad egg, who tells the men that the bullets for the new Lee Enfield rifles have been stored in pig grease
which is based on a true incident that occurred during the "mutiny"
Power is athletic and does earnest determination well, but lacks the ability to switch between that and casual charm when called for, in the way that Errol Flynn could
amongst the customary daring do there is one short but grisly execution, where Powers race tolerant room mate is skewered by the villain
his characters childhood friend leads the Indians (or Afghans?) who seek to over throw the British
he is portrayed as a formidable foe, both physically and mentally impressive, so much so that Power has to be saved in at the climax, when at the point of seemingly inevitable death at his hand, by one of his soldiers
Tyrone lives to return to the girl, who has been staunchly colour blind all along, and love conquers all
solid stuff

Somewhere In The Night
a superior film noir starring John Hodiak and Nancy Guild
like Tyrone Power, Hodiak lacks the ability to break up the tension a bit by injecting some devil may care charm or humour into the role, in the way that Bogart or Ladd or Mitchum might
he just doesn't have the "x" factor of charisma to explain why the girl falls for him on such small acquaintance
and neither does Nancy Guild really, but the rest is so good it doesn't matter
the supporting cast who include Richard Conte, Lloyd Nolan and Harry (Col Potter) Morgan are all excellent
there's plenty of double dealing and although, in the end, it's a bit of a stretch to suppose that there is not one person left in town who might have recognised Hodiak from the old days, the film is almost over by the time that thought occurs
very enjoyable
Back to top Go down
Santa
Senior Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 am

Harmsway wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Hah. I should have picked up on that.

I am not!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Loomis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:

As my old saying goes, that's relativist bollocks. Meaning is universal, interpretation however, is not.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Loomis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
"message" implies that a film would function as an essay built around a single thesis statement.

It seems to me that quite a few of the screenwriting gurus out there believe that that's precisely how a film ought to function.

As most of the great critics. You are outnumbered and outgunned, my friend.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Me and Harms both, then, I guess.

Sharky wrote:
Loomis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:

As my old saying goes, that's relativist bollocks. Meaning is universal, interpretation however, is not.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Meaning is interpretation. Meaning cannot exist without someone's interpretation of what it is.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Loomis wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Loomis wrote:
Harmsway wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Meaning is interpretation. Meaning cannot exist without someone's interpretation of what it is.

Yes, but who defines the meaning? In my book, that's the person who demonstrates the most cogency of thought of and insight. That will almost always be Armond White.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: