More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+36
Blunt Instrument
GeneralGogol
j7wild
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Salomé
Gravity's Silhouette
Klown
bitchcraft
6of1
Prince Kamal Khan
dalton
Tubes
Jack Wade
Fae
G section
Loomis
tiffanywint
Mr. Trevelyan
Hilly
00Twelve
saint mark
Louis Armstrong
Seve
Makeshift Python
trevanian
Control
Ravenstone
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
dr. strangelove
The White Tuxedo
HJackson
Manhunter
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:08 am

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072251/

5/5

the superior original movie with Robert Shaw,

not the 2009 Inferior, Piece of BEEP, Remake with

"If I pretend to act, maybe I will win another Best Actor Oscar Doofus Washington, not that I'd deserve the first Oscar I'd won in 2002 anyway"!!

:roll:

I've seen this movie a dozen times and it never gets old!!

:cheers:
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 7:17 am

Washington's the only thing that remotely works in Scott's remake.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Dog Soldiers
Excellent. Probably the best werewolf film so far.

Thor
I think I know Norse mythology a little too well to fully appreciate it ;) But still, it was fun. Wotsisname looks good in a pair of tight jeans, and really - what more does a woman want?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Dog Soldiers

Always liked it. It's Alien earthbound and with an English sensibility. Plus it cost less to make than a bag of chips.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 pm

The Tourist
disappointing comedy / romance / thriller starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie
the film doesn't quite succeed at any of it's three areas and IMO the main reason is the limp performance of Johnny Depp
I found Angelina Jolie's "Lady Penelope" impersonation perfectly suitable for the occasion, but if she's going to play the cool one, then Depp needs to be far more animated
he's the "ordinary guy" caught up in extraordinary circumstances, so it's up to him to follow Cary Grant's example as Roger Thornhill in North By North West
or channel a bit of Bob Hope into his characterisation of "Frank", in order to draw out the humour from his fish out of water situation
where's the indignation? show me the panic! in this scenario underplaying doesn't cut it
also Depp is the one who has to convince us that he can capture the femme fatale's romantic interest
she's a mysterious babe with moola, so job done for Jolie
he's the nerdy teacher, so he can't be more "mad, bad and dangerous to know" than her current beau (symbolised by Rufus Sewell), in which case he'd better be amusing and engaging
in this scenario, just looking like Johnny Depp doesn't cut it
Stephen Berkoff is the epitome of evil as usual, Rufus Sewell's charisma shines like a beacon, so he doesn't even need to speak to convince that he is "the guy the are really after"
Paul Bettany's character is a bit of a problem for me, his attitude is far more MI6 than Scotland Yard, as are the SAS type operations he runs
Timothy Dalton gets a welcome run out as his boss
but do they really call up teams of snipers to apprehend white collar criminals? I'm not so sure
would the skint British authorities, with their threadbare budgets, really spend 8 million quid chasing down a white collar criminal, no matter how much back taxes he owed?
that's not the only plot issue I had
at the finale, the villain asks "where is the safe?" and I'm wondering what century are we in?
in these days of "e commerce" and elaborate bank transfers, who would keep 2 billion in a wall safe?
in fact, who would keep 2 billion in a wall safe in any century?
the final "surprise twist" is also of the variety that calls into question the validity everything that went before
the worst kind of twist for the sake of a twist, the "no one will be expecting this, therefore lets do it, even though it undermines everything that went before…" twist
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 pm

The only thing that lets it down is the slightly Doctor Who feel to the werewolves. But it's better than CGI. I dunno - I'm not sure about them. 'Imself thought they were fine; I thought they looked a little too like men in rubber suits. But it works best when you see very little of them.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:
Dog Soldiers

Always liked it. It's Alien earthbound and with an English sensibility.

I always thought ALIEN had a very English. You could replace the original cast with a bunch of North Yorkshire miners. In stark contrast to Jim Cameron's sequel.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Sharky wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:
Dog Soldiers

I always thought ALIEN had a very English. You could replace the original cast with a bunch of North Yorkshire miners. In stark contrast to Jim Cameron's sequel.

I suppose you could argue that's what Vincent Ward was going for with Alien 3.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:
Dog Soldiers

I suppose you could argue that's what Vincent Ward was going for with Alien 3.

Right, and the cast was full of young and old British talent. Despite that it was a David Fincher film through and through.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 pm

A re-watch of McQ

indeed, John Wayne ("Yo-oo!") as Dirty Harry in Seattle. Nice locations, decent action pieces (Wayne's chase of the van through Seattle and the beach chase at the end), Magnum PI's Roger E. Mosley, Eddie Albert, a youngish Diane Muldaur and Wayne himself keep it chugging along. Bit odd to see him in this setting after all the Westerns I've absorbed lately. Musically not too shabby, take a bow Elmer Bernstein.

McQ probably edges Branningan a smidgen.

On the Wayne-Pilgrilm-O-Meter-Thingy McQ sits...ah, turns out I don't have a meter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 am

Hilly wrote:
A re-watch of McQ

indeed, John Wayne ("Yo-oo!") as Dirty Harry in Seattle. Nice locations, decent action pieces (Wayne's chase of the van through Seattle and the beach chase at the end), Magnum PI's Roger E. Mosley, Eddie Albert, a youngish Diane Muldaur and Wayne himself keep it chugging along. Bit odd to see him in this setting after all the Westerns I've absorbed lately. Musically not too shabby, take a bow Elmer Bernstein.

On the Wayne-Pilgrilm-O-Meter-Thingy McQ sits...ah, turns out I don't have a meter.

IMO McQ is way better than Brannigan (his "Coogan's Bluff"?)
except for the cool sports car
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 am

Seve wrote:
Hilly wrote:
A re-watch of McQ

IMO McQ is way better than Brannigan (his "Coogan's Bluff"?)
except for the cool sports car

the sports car is something special, indeed

and yes Brannigan would be Wayne's Coogan's Bluff. Apparently Eastwood was offered McQ, must've been around the same time as Coogan's Bluff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 am

The Prisoner Of Zenda (1937)
The Ronald Colman, Doug Fairbanks jr, Madeleine Carroll, Raymond Massey, C Aubrey Smith, David Niven version
(as opposed to the Stuart Granger, James Mason, Deborah Kerr, Robert Douglas, Louis Calhern, Robert Coote version)
apparently most people prefer the original, as is traditional with remakes, but I enjoyed both about equally
Ronald Coleman is very charming and suave, so much so that he has trouble conveying the intended impression that his Crown Prince character is a wastrel in the early scenes
he is also rather unconvincing in the action scenes, particularly in the sword fighting duel, where his stiff movements look jarringly noticeable compared to those of athletic swashbuckler Fairbanks and his sword double
points to the often maligned Granger then, who as well as looking the part, makes a much more convincing wastrel and swordsman
Doug Fairbanks puts on a spell binding performance, but perhaps he is also almost too charming for his own good
whereas IMO James Mason makes for a more aloof and appropriate aristocratic villain
Madeleine Carroll and Deborah Kerr are both very comely, but after that I'll have to give all the casting kudos to the 1937 version
Massey is always hard to beat in the evil department, there's no better friend of the hero than Niven, and C Aubrey Smith, who apparently played the twin lead in the London play of 1896, is incomparable as Colonel Zapt
all in all an excellent swashbuckler
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 am

COCKTAIL. Not too shabby.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 am

Tom Cruise Cocktail?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:35 am

THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998, dir. Joel and Ethan Coen)

The cinematic equivalent of the world's greatest drinking buddy.

-------

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1025

Last edited by Harmsway on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40