These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Screenwriting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:06 am

Avarice wrote:
Nice arse though.

That's her face.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 am

I think Hugh Grant in Full Bastard Mode is well worth seeing. (He appreciates Bridget's arse as well.)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am

Arsestad. The only decent things about in that POS.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Well, betrayal. Especially by a family member. No, it's nothing to do with my life. laugh But I always liked the idea of THE SHINING. I like the idea of realizing that someone you are very close to, and whom you trust completely, you means harm.
Have you seen BIGGER THAN LIFE, Tux?
Nope. Heard about it. Probably should.
It's a much richer take on the "father gone bad" than THE SHINING is, and I suspect it's right up your alley.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am

I want to make a film called JACK & JILL in which Adam Sandler would play opposite-sex fraternal twins. Al Pacino would have a role.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Well, betrayal. Especially by a family member. No, it's nothing to do with my life. laugh But I always liked the idea of THE SHINING. I like the idea of realizing that someone you are very close to, and whom you trust completely, you means harm.
Have you seen BIGGER THAN LIFE, Tux?
Nope. Heard about it. Probably should.
It's a much richer take on the "father gone bad" than THE SHINING is, and I suspect it's right up your alley.

Mason, Matthau, directed by Ray and co-written by Maibaum. Sounds like a treat.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Sharky wrote:
Aristotle had the right idea. In order of importance:

1. Plot
2. Character
3. Theme/Idea
4. Speech (screenplay and performances)
5. Chorus (Music/song or narration)
6. Décor (production design/costumes/lighting)
7. Spectacle.(special effects)

Yeah, my screenwriting teacher basically instructs us to take Aristotle to heart.
Of course, the teacher is a failure hack, but his instruction is oddly quite good. Guess the old cliches sometimes are true.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:41 pm

There seem to be a lot of experienced screenwriters on here. Which of your projects did finally get produced, I wonder? Would really like to see your efforts and what you think of the final flicks.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Aristotle had the right idea. In order of importance:

1. Plot
2. Character
3. Theme/Idea
4. Speech (screenplay and performances)
5. Chorus (Music/song or narration)
6. Décor (production design/costumes/lighting)
7. Spectacle.(special effects)

Yeah, my screenwriting teacher basically instructs us to take Aristotle to heart.
Of course, the teacher is a failure hack, but his instruction is oddly quite good. Guess the old cliches sometimes are true.

I guess it depends if you're writing from the heart or from the head. For routine hack work, like... I dunno a Bond movie, this might be right. Hell, for a Bond film I think the villain and their scheme is probably the most important thing to get right. But I digress.

With some things, I'd say (not that I'm an expert) that character is more important than plot. With a play, if I were to write a play, I'd start with characters.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:56 pm

I usually start with Theme/Idea, then move to characters, then plot.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Some of my ideas have started there. Whatever gets you in. Shit, I get most of my ideas listening to music.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:36 am

I've found the problem with my approach, however, is that the characters end up as ideological mouthpieces and the plot becomes tertiary to expressing the message, so it all ends up seeming artificial.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:04 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'd recommend. Plot's overrated.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 pm

The winners of the Nicholl Screenwriting Fellowships have been announced.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I wouldn't say I have a particularly favourite theme, but there are a few things that I like.

First of all, I like scripts that go places; they clearly started and finsihed in two separate places. The best example I can give is the TV series "Castle" and "The Mentalist". Both have a similar premise: civilians with expert knowledge in their chosen fields are called in to consult for the police. Both have a similar format, the one-hour police prcedural. But both are very, very different from one another. Despite having the same running time, there often feels like there is twice as much story in an episode of "Castle" than there is in "The Mentalist". And it often feels like it goes soemwhere; the over-arching plot of "Castle" absolutely tears along, whereas "The Mentalist" often resets things. Patrick Jane made significant progress in uncovering the identity of Red John at the end of the second season, but then a story twist came up that meant everything he had done was for nothing.

I also like scripts that are prepared to take risks with their characters. I think this is particularly evident in the second season of "Angel", where Angel essentially becomes a villain - he drives his friends away (and in doing so, puts them in mortal danger), lets atrocities take place, and is willing to break his own rules to thwart a greater evil. It's not until that same evil takes him aside and explains the nature of the world to him ("Evil doesn't work in spite of us, Angel. It works because of us. It works with us.") that he realises what he is doing. A lot of script flirt with the darker sides of their characters, but they always pull them back from the raggedy edge before they can get too deep. "Angel" pushed its characters over that same edge, and then explored what came next and how those characters changed.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:44 am

I start with an idea or a character I want to explore. What is this about? How does this person live with themselves? What's it like going through the world day to day like this/in this location/in this circumstance/wanting this? From there I craft out an outline of the plot beats, and then I usually don't write the script laugh
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

I have always started with a theme (except for my Bond stories). But with a novel I'm writing (which is currently on hold), and for the screenplay I've almost finished, I started with the themes, and then moved to the characters and plot. I think it gives you a direction for the characters for the plot to unfold if you start with the themes in mind.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 pm

I write like I'm building a bridge. I start with the beginning and the ending: the knowledge of where I'm starting and where I want to end up. Then I go in and build the "pylons", the major scenes that I know have to happen in order to progress along the way. Once I have everything I need, I go back and double-check, adding more pylons if I need to. When I'm happy with it, I go and build "support pylons", secondary scenes that link the major scenes together to make the narrative progress from major scene to major scene. The I start to build the roadway, placing the hoizontal pieces of the bridge in place, which form the whole plot. I seal the roadway with the themes, and then I populate the bridge with traffic, which are the characters. So I tend to go plot, theme, character, but my bridges always have several laneways so the characters are free to roam around.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Your reductionism demonstrates a failure to grasp simple human emotions, yet that's the most basic requirement for a wannabe author.

Screenwriting is more than an adult game of joining the dots, it's more than a simple manufacturing process. Good storytelling is all about people: who they are, and why they do what they do. As a virgin with aspergers and a paralysing fear of women you will always have problems with that.

Still, there are plenty of other opportunities. Have you thought of selling calendars?

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Tue May 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Oh hell, I'll run this by anyone who gives a shit. So I had a chat with a guy who runs a theater company I've been involved with several times over the last year here in Louisville. He mentioned this idea he wants to do for an Ed Wood show. They already have an hour-long Star Wars show (which is a little lame http://thealleytheater.org/index.php/star-wars.html), and I guess he wants this to be like another one of those. I think he called it "Ed Wood in Plan 9 from Outer Space", but says he really only has a vague concept.

Enough bullshit, here is what I wanted to post. I had an idea for an Ed Wood play. I had this furious brainstorm Saturday night for what I've titled "A Nightmare with Ed Wood". And it's what the titles says; a nightmare. The basic idea is that it's shortly after Bela Lugosi has died (56). Ed goes to bed with his girlfriend Kathy, and it's established that Bela has passed away and that Ed is still pretty torn up about it, and he doesn't know what he's going to do about another movie. Then he goes to sleep and enters his bizarre dreamworld. Bela comes to him in a dream, and begins narrating much of the action of the play to the audience like he does in GLEN OR GLENDA, but he also talks to Ed from time to time. Ed goes through this wacky odyssey of flying saucers, vampires, monsters, and transvestites. Also in the mix are Vampira (I know the perfect actress for it) and Tor Johnson, and maybe others. Over the course of the play he develops his idea for Grave Robbers from Outer Space and reconciles the loss of his dear friend and idol, Bela Lugosi.

The ending would be a (hopefully) touching goodbye between the two.

Just two spotlights, one on Ed and one on Bela.

Bela: Goodbye, Eddie.

Ed: (fighting back tears) Bela.

Bela vanishes as his spotlight goes dark. In a disembodied, God-like voice he hear Bela say "Goodbye, Eddie."

Ed drops to his knees and does a Brando from Streetcar: BELAAAAAA!

His light goes dark and we hear something like thunder as the lights come up on Ed's bed with him tossing around in a nightmare frenzy. Screaming, he shoots straight up like a vampire, his eyes wide like he just saw the Blessed Virgin Mary. Kathy awakens and grabs him to calm him down and asks what's wrong. Ed is serene, like he's touched by something cutting through time and space. Ed: I had an idea. And that'd be the end.

At least that's how it goes in my head. It needs a lot of work. I get the feeling the guy I talked to isn't enthusastic about the idea. It sounds like he just wants a cheap joke-a-thon like the Star Wars show. Just references and stuff. That show basically gets it's laughs by acting out Star Wars scenes with jokes. I want to write an actual play. Regardless if this company would produce it, I kinda like the idea and want to pursue it on my own. I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone thought it was just shit, or does it sound worthwhile. I'm having a helluva time thinking of what this surreal dream odyssey would be and what could be done cheaply on stage. I mean, it should be cheap. laugh
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 pm

A friend of mine on Facebook recommended this podcast. I've not given it a listen yet, but I'll check it out pretty soon.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/scriptnotes-podcast/id462495496

In the past few months I've been presented with some opportunities to write. Alas, I'm untrained in this department. But I'm excited about a film that I'm meeting a director for tomorrow. I'll have a hand in writing it, and it'll star me. Usually I've been against the idea of writing for myself. Firstly because I am not REALLY a writer (not yet, but it's a serious goal of mine), and secondly I prefer to interpret someone else's words as an actor. But the film will be a real dramatic piece about real people. I've fiddled around with personal projects, like the thought I've put into a Star Wars trilogy, and I think it's helped me wrap my head around things technically. I'm picking up more and more instances of technique when I watch films (MAD MEN has helped on this a lot, in watching and rewatching episodes). Though I can't always articulate what I see. Basically instead of a proper writing education I'm stumbling with my own instincts, which I think are at least pretty decent.

Anyway, if anyone actually reads this post, you've been my soundboard. And I wanted to post that link.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Digging into Mad Men is a good way to pick things up, because as Weiner all too happily points out in the commentaries, for a show of nuances and subtlety, 99% of it is in the script.

As to an earlier question, the theme that interest me most: the search for meaning or purpose or explanation of life's mysterys. It's something that defines a lot of people's lives: their career choice, their romantic lives, their spiritual life. How we derive our self-esteem, what we long for, what we aim for and how we go about getting it (succesfully or unsucessfully).

That for me is the main thing that speaks to me as an aspiring/hobbyist writer. Obviously a larger storyline plays a part, but in terms of character, I think those are the crucial elements to understanding someone. As a writer, if you don't have those in place, your characters will ring hollow. People don't need to relate to characters, but they need to understand them.

eta: not sure if that makes sense, but I am kind of drunk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screenwriting   

Back to top Go down

Screenwriting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: