More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Doctor Sleep

Go down 
+6
Phantom Commander
bitchcraft
j7wild
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
Control
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44700392

Quote :
If the sound of a rolling Big Wheel makes you shudder, you get a little weirded out by identical twin girls, hate mazes made of shrubbery and get a little freaked out in hotels in the winter, blame Stephen King and "The Shining."

The 1980 film, based on the 1977 King novel, is pretty much universally acclaimed as one of the scariest movies of all time. And now King has revealed that he's working on a sequel, "Doctor Sleep," about a grown-up Danny Torrance. He read a 10-minute excerpt from it at George Mason University last week, and a viewer captured the reading on video.
You'll remember Danny as the young clairvoyant son of doomed writer and temporary hotel caretaker Jack and his wife, Wendy. In the new novel, he's a hospice worker, but not just any hospice worker. His special powers have grown up along with him, and now he uses them to help suffering patients die without pain. And apparently, there are vampires. This is King, after all.
Story: Piranha, mad surgeons and more offer movie scares
King reportedly is almost done with the book, though no planned publication date was announced. But you just know that before the book has had a chance to cool down from the printing press, the movie will be on the way. It's such a part of our culture — "The Simpsons" famed parody, "The Shinning," is just one classic tribute.
We'd like to suggest one of the hunks from "Supernatural," that'd be Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, be considered for the role of grown-up Danny. They're used to fighting off things that go bump in the night, and they're not hard on the eyes, either.

I wonder what hack will make the film. My vote goes to Brett Ratner.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Eh, King hasn't been at his best for quite a while now. And, when you get down to it, THE SHINING wasn't all that good to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:25 am

One of the many times where a film's improved on its source. Even then, THE SHINING runs on atmospherics alone. That's pretty much down to Kubrick and music editor, Gordon Stainforth.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 pm

I find the TV version of The Shining better than Kubrick's theatrical version

j7wild **runs out of the forum**
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 6:25 am

j7wild wrote:
I find the TV version of The Shining better than Kubrick's theatrical version

j7wild **runs out of the forum**

Blasphemy....next time you're in a lonely corridor, two little girls are going to appear...
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 11:48 am

I love The Shining, the film that is. Doctor Sleep was just an immense disappointment for me. I had been looking forward to it. Should have known better.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 2:35 pm

Harmsway wrote:
And, when you get down to it, THE SHINING wasn't all that good to begin with.

A very contrarian view, and one I happen to agree with. The Shining is good, but not great. It wouldn't make my top 20 list of horror films.

Now the novel, OTOH, is pretty dam' formidable.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 4:49 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
And, when you get down to it, THE SHINING wasn't all that good to begin with.

A very contrarian view, and one I happen to agree with. The Shining is good, but not great. It wouldn't make my top 20 list of horror films.

Now the novel, OTOH, is pretty dam' formidable.
Never read the novel. What other books by King I have read, I have not been a big fan of.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 10:09 pm

He's been hit and miss for me. I've never really felt like he's stuck any of his landings, though.

Salem's Lot was probably my favorite of the ones I've read.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 11:19 pm

Haven't read anything recent by King. The only ones I recall reading are The Shining, Pet Sematery, Tommyknockers, The Stand, Thinner and It. Pet Sematery is scary as hell. "It" is quite fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 4:00 am

I forgot about Thinner. Remember thinking the unusually quick pace was a very welcome change.

Whenever I get round to reading another of his, it'll probably be Pet Sematery. Have pretty consistently heard good things.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 4:25 am

Within the genre, I always preferred Dean Koontz to Stephen King. I will grant that what I have read by both has varied in quality.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 12:32 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Haven't read anything recent by King. The only ones I recall reading are The Shining, Pet Sematery, Tommyknockers, The Stand, Thinner and It. Pet Sematery is scary as hell. "It" is quite fascinating.

It sounds like I'm talking about Woody Allen, but I only really enjoyed the early King ones, which I still revisit (SHINING, SALEM, NIGHT SHIFT, THE STAND, DEAD ZONE - though the latter lost me in its last 100 pages first time through, and it took decades to get me to fully appreciate it, though I always dug the film adapataion.) The last one that really blew me away was DIFFERENT SEASONS, which, going just by THE BODY, I think is King's ticket to a great afterlife. I remember being utterly disappointed by the CUJO novel, which was the first one I bought new in hardcover. After that it went downhill really fast, I found the Straub collaboration to be endless and finally threw in the towel partway through IT, and none of the original Bachmans spoke to me either. I've always been a little troubled by how so much of his work seems to use Richard Matheson's tales as a jumping-off point, but freely admit that the King ones exceeded the Mathesons, except maybe HELL HOUSE, and certainly inspired more rereads.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 3:48 pm

Somerset wrote:
I forgot about Thinner. Remember thinking the unusually quick pace was a very welcome change.

Whenever I get round to reading another of his, it'll probably be Pet Sematery. Have pretty consistently heard good things.

The movie generally gets panned pretty roundly, but it's not terrible. That said, its gruesomeness isn't my cup of tea. I can tolerate a fair amount of that, but PS goes a bit beyond my comfort zone in that area.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 3:49 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Within the genre, I always preferred Dean Koontz to Stephen King. I will grant that what I have read by both has varied in quality.

I read a couple of Koontzes years ago and thought they were quite good.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 3:52 pm

trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

It sounds like I'm talking about Woody Allen, but I only really enjoyed the early King ones, which I still revisit (SHINING, SALEM, NIGHT SHIFT, THE STAND, DEAD ZONE - though the latter lost me in its last 100 pages first time through, and it took decades to get me to fully appreciate it, though I always dug the film adapataion.) The last one that really blew me away was DIFFERENT SEASONS, which, going just by THE BODY, I think is King's ticket to a great afterlife. I remember being utterly disappointed by the CUJO novel, which was the first one I bought new in hardcover. After that it went downhill really fast, I found the Straub collaboration to be endless and finally threw in the towel partway through IT, and none of the original Bachmans spoke to me either. I've always been a little troubled by how so much of his work seems to use Richard Matheson's tales as a jumping-off point, but freely admit that the King ones exceeded the Mathesons, except maybe HELL HOUSE, and certainly inspired more rereads.

Ever read Carrie, his first novel? I have not, but did see the film, which was very good, albeit rather disturbing in spots. Piper Laurie as Carrie's deranged mother should have won an Oscar. I think she was better than Nicholson in The Shining.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 9:30 pm

Yeah, I've read CARRIE a few times and liked it -- I used to have the 4in1 book with CARRIE, THE SHINING, SALEM'S LOT and NIGHT SHIFT till it fell to pieces (same thing happens with the Trevanian 4in1 -- I've gone through about half-a-dozen of those in the last 40 years.)

Stylistically it is a bit different in presentation of the material from most King, and while the film is pretty faithful to content, it misses in a couple spots, especially with respect to the prom date character, which was maybe the only thing I remember King taking issue with in the DePalma film.

King did an unusual critical analysis of horror genre book called DANSE MACABRE that, while very long, has some terrific stuff in it; he has large sections on Bradbury and SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES in addition to other horror novelists, and covers genre TV as well (even stuff like DARKROOM and KOLCHAK:THE NIGHT STALKER.) I haven't read it in a long while, but it has got a hysterically immense footnote describing Ellison's very short participation in developing the first STAR TREK movie that could have made a great short film.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 11:32 am

Used to be an avid King reader, but then he became too prolific for me to keep up with. Think the last one I read was Bag Of Bones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doctor Sleep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep   Doctor Sleep Empty

Back to top Go down

Doctor Sleep
Page 1 of 1