These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:55 pm

I like SIDEWAYS and ABOUT SCHMIDT. Not sure how I feel about this one, though:

Back to top Go down
FourDot
Experienced Correspondent

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Much raving has been made about it.

But the consensus seems to be that the trailer doesn't do it justice.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:25 pm

This could be the film of 2011 for me. I'll have to consult Armond first, then sacrifice a goat.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Clooney, Judy Greer (totally want to), and Robert Forster. At least I like some of the cast.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:56 pm

FourDot wrote:
Much raving has been made about it.

But the consensus seems to be that the trailer doesn't do it justice.
I'm sure this is true. The trailers are all pretty bad for THE DESCENDANTS, and I have some faith in Payne.

I don't know that I'll be seeing THE DESCENDANTS in theaters, though. I've crossed MYSTERIES OF LISBON off my to-see list, which I adore, and now I have to get to the remaining films: FAUST, MELANCHOLIA, THE MILL AND THE CROSS, TAKE SHELTER, and TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY. If I can fit THE DESCENDANTS in there too, then I'll see it, but I may end up waiting for DVD; I don't know that it will benefit from the big screen treatment the way those other films will.
Back to top Go down
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I was about to say that I haven't seen any of Payne's work in a theatre, but then I just realised that he hasn't bloody done anything since Sideways.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Loved this film. Stylistically/formally, it doesn't do much that is remarkable, but the writing and performances are very good. It will be written off by many as false and melodramatic, but judging by my own experience with family tragedy, Payne's film is generally pretty genuine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)   

Back to top Go down

The Descendants (2011, dir. Alexander Payne)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: