More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+38
bitchcraft
Richard Hannay
Manhunter
SJK91
MBalje
Blunt Instrument
Louis Armstrong
Vesper
Seve
Hilly
Ravenstone
Klown
Drax
tiffanywint
Satorious
G section
CJB
HJackson
GeneralGogol
Moore
lalala2004
Lazenby.
Mr. Trevelyan
Chigawa
Salomé
bondfan06
Prince Kamal Khan
Fae
trevanian
Tubes
James. C
Control
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Fairbairn-Sykes
FourDot
colly
The White Tuxedo
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 5:47 am

Vesper wrote:
The Great Gatsby

I don't know what's worse. This or the fact the incoming Baz Lurhmann trainwreck will make it seem good by comparison.

You know you have a problem when the best thing your film has going for it is Lois Chiles.
I remember that book being a favorite of mine during high school. Hadn't read it since but I remember thinking what an interesting flick it would turn out if done right. Then I heard there was already a movie "oh boy, I gotta check this out" then I went on IMDb and saw the cast list "you've gotta be fucking kidding me". I have never bothered seeing it.

The next adaptation doesn't even sound intriguing. I probably should pick up the book again, but I always believed that for a film adaption it shouldn't have any A-listers in the cast. It just seems wrong. Gives one the impression that big stars only want to become a part of it just because it's a famous book and that it might sound great in their resume.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 6:18 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Vesper wrote:
The Great Gatsby

I don't know what's worse. This or the fact the incoming Baz Lurhmann trainwreck will make it seem good by comparison.

You know you have a problem when the best thing your film has going for it is Lois Chiles.
I remember that book being a favorite of mine during high school. Hadn't read it since but I remember thinking what an interesting flick it would turn out if done right. Then I heard there was already a movie "oh boy, I gotta check this out" then I went on IMDb and saw the cast list "you've gotta be fucking kidding me". I have never bothered seeing it.

The next adaptation doesn't even sound intriguing. I probably should pick up the book again, but I always believed that for a film adaption it shouldn't have any A-listers in the cast. It just seems wrong. Gives one the impression that big stars only want to become a part of it just because it's a famous book and that it might sound great in their resume.

I don't think you need to preclude A-Listers neccessarily, but boy, the film sucks. Everyone is completely miscast except Chiles. It also makes the party scenes look boring as batshit. It's just awful.

The Lurhman version will be worse though. The most plain and dumpy looking young acting professional in Hollywood as the gorgerous and infectiously exuberant Daisy? Even Farrow had a bit of a spark. And trying to double Australia as Long Island?

Such a mess.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:45 am

Vesper wrote:
The Great Gatsby

Lois Chiles was the very reason why I haven't had an urge to watch it. I'm curious to see what Baz does with The Great Gatsby, but I have my reservations - mostly what you pointed out in the later post: Australian locations doubling for East/West Eggs, Toby Maguire, Isla Fisher and the fact that Baz Luhrmann is directing. I enjoyed his version of Moulin Rouge. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't abysmal. I also liked Australia, but some instances such as that bulls sequence was just horrid. I just think that his version of storytelling won't be suited for The Great Gatsby. There needs to be restraint I think with The Great Gatsby, and I feel that he will no doubt try to "galvanise" all the scenes leading up to the tragic end. And what will he do with the party scenes? Have choreographed dances to reworked modern songs that are utterly misplaced? I'm skeptical, but curious.

I have to admit I do like the choice of Leonardo Di Caprio as Gatsby. I also have faith in Carey Mulligan. She has proven to be quite a good actress, from Never Let Me Go and Pride and Prejudice. With the help of make up/hair/costume, I'm sure she'll provide a great performance and hopefully look the part, providing that she encompasses that independent type of personality Diasy possesses. It would have been infinitely better had David Fincher directed it, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Isis

Isis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:58 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
It would have been infinitely better had David Fincher directed it, IMO.

Gatsby and Fincher don't really click. Then again, I can't really think of a modern director who would be all that suitable. Might as well have Luhrmann bastardise it, and let someone else try again 25 years from now.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Quote :
. With the help of make up/hair/costume, I'm sure she'll provide a great performance

No make-up in the world will change the fact she has a face like a potato.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm

I must have skimmed the bit that says Carey Mulligan will play Daisy. While I think she's cute, I have a hard time believing a bunch of rich male assholes will be fighting over her.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Fahrenheit 451

This film could be made today and still be of extreme relevance. I've read the novel a long time ago, so I can't judge too well how loyal the film is to it, but it's one entertaining and well-shot piece of sci-fi in any case. My main gripe is Julie Christie's double role - I don't really understand why Truffaut considered it so important to double-cast her. The other imagery in the film is striking - the rural monorail with the descending staircase, the utilitarian post-war architecture, the flat-screen TV and other devices.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:43 pm

colly wrote:
Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Vlcsnap-00025

Bye Bye Birdie (1963) Dir. George Sidney

The anti-WEST SIDE STORY, sure its a complete celebration of small time America in the vein of Doris Day pics et al, but its a fabulous ball of fun thats filled with famous songs I instantly recognized (even though Id never seen the film before), its full of hilarious performances (Paul Lynde is especially great), Janet Leigh is an unexpectedly good dancer, and best of all - its got Ann Margret.

Its all about Ann Margret.
8)

Can't argue with that logic. See Exhibit A below-

Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:49 am

Vesper wrote:
The Great Gatsby

the earlier Alan Ladd version is quite good

his background as a rain coat wearing noir hero fits him to the role better than most

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:55 am

Isis wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

Gatsby and Fincher don't really click. Then again, I can't really think of a modern director who would be all that suitable. Might as well have Luhrmann bastardise it, and let someone else try again 25 years from now.

Kazan in his heyday could have done it well. As could have Robert Altman.

From today's crop? Wes Anderson.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:35 am

Last night I watched...

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Tomahw10

Tomahawk (1951) Dir. George Sherman

Interesting little western, from the early cycle of the increasingly "adult" western type and also an early example of the more pro-Indian ones that were to follow in the next few decades. A beautifully shot film, its stars Van Heflin as an experienced scout who's a friend of both races, and is very keen to avoid war amongst the Sioux and the white man, especially as the whites keep provoking the Sioux by breaking treaties. A task thats going to be kept harder by the arrival of nasty Alex Nicol, racist and Indian killer extraordinaire, and a man who Heflin holds a long term grudge against for killing his Indian wife many years ago. Theres a tiny role for a young Rock Hudson and Yvonne DeCarlo makes her usual useless appearance, and theres a hilarious moment when somebody gets shot by an arrow, you can see the massive padding. laugh

But its an interestingly non-glorious film, particularly the finale in which wave upon wave of Indian are simply mown down my advanced rifles.

And this arvo...

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 MPW-42952

Fluffy (1965) Dir. Earl Bellamy

Extremely silly but often quite funny mid 60s universal comedy starring Tony Randall as a professor who has effectively domesticated a lion over years of research, but is unable to convince the public of it. Having to skip town on a hilarious recommendation by none other than Whit Bissel, Randall and Fluffy turn up at a hotel run by Ed Andrews and Dick Sargent, with an unfortunately unfunny Howard Morris as a drunken guest who keeps seeing the lion vefore anyone else, and the extremely attractive but underused Shirley Jones appearing too - she and Randall get a hilarious sequence in the hotel bar in which she thinks he's a rampaging murderer, and he thinks he's just being extremely charming. And then they start dancing. laugh

Average, but funny.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:47 am

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Stalag173

Stalag 17 (1953; dir. Billy Wilder)

A fine, fine picture. Not an all time great for me, but a fine, fine picture with a great cast headed by just about my favorite actor currently - Bill Holden. I keep wanting to call it HOLDEN'S HEROES. Lembeck and Strauss as Shapiro and Animal make a terrific pair. Anyone else have the spy pegged from the start? tongue

I'd say that the film is perhaps more episodic than I'd like.

Billy Wilder
1. THE APARTMENT
2. DOUBLE INDEMNITY
3. STALAG 17
4. SOME LIKE IT HOT
5. THE LOST WEEKEND
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:34 am

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 ArtistsAndModels_MacLaine

Artists and Models (1955) Dir. Frank Tashlin

I got one of my ioffer packages in the mail today and it was especially pleasing - 5 of the 6 packages are in fantastic quality, and with the Martin/Lewis pics, I got 4 for the price of 2, and it appears the seller just burned his own DVD - this one was in anamorphic widescreen! :shock:

Funnily enough, in looking for the picture, I came across this description of the film:

Quote :
Why It’s Great: If this is first movie you’ve seen from Lewis’s heyday, you may fear that he’ll be a little over the top. And you’d be right. At times, he can be broader than the broadest Jerry Lewis imitation, but Martin has enough preternatural cool for both of them. They’re not attempting to play human beings at all—Martin is the ultimate dream of who we want to be and Lewis personifies our worst fears about how the world perceives us.

That's perfect, because I was just about to come on here and complain about how much Lewis, especially when left to his own devices, is a pure pain in the ass with his OTT-ness. The scene where he keeps going up and down the stairs really grated. But thats at least given a perspective to go on for THE CADDY (which I did also order), SCARED STIFF and YOU'RE NEVER TOO YOUNG (both of which I didnt but came with them).

But apart from that - its a whipsmart, colourful, wonderfully mid-50s vistavision romp thats filled with social issues (comic books), international intrigue (the Russians) and more dames (and their legs!) than a Busby Berkeley musical - in 100 minutes we've got time for 2 big blondes in Eva Gabor and Anita Ekberg, as well as 2 of my faves in Dorothy Malone and of course, Shirley MacLaine, who everyone will tell you steals the film. And they'd be absolutely right. The pics above from the smashing number "Innamorata" in which she just goes balls-to-the-wall nuts over Jerry Lewis. its one amazing scene.

Twas my first Tashlin pic as well as for Martin and Lewis, and Harry will be pleased to note I enjoyed the style immensely, which may speed up my desire to nab the Mansfield double of THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? - the possibilites of what Tony Randall and Tom Ewell could do with this kind of film boggle the mind. 8)

and tux - watch THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. Or IRMA LA DOUCE. ;)
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:51 am

I wanna see ACE IN THE HOLE. It's up next from Netflix.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:54 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

Fantastic film that - even if it'll make you sick to your soul.
Back to top Go down
Isis

Isis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 11:36 am

Sharky wrote:
Isis wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

Kazan in his heyday could have done it well. As could have Robert Altman.

From today's crop? Wes Anderson.

I definitely agree about Anderson. Someone who'd be able to give the film some flair. Not Luhrmann flair, that is.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Bogie_10

Across The Pacific (1942) Dir. John Huston

Sufficiently fun and enjoyable early WW2 spy film thats set just before the attacks on Pearl Harbour, which is kind of darkly amusing as they end on a slightly glorious note of American planes flying ahead - and you know the next morning Jap planes are going to be destroying Pearl. laugh

WW2 may be the name, but reprising THE MALTESE FALCON is the game - reuniting John Huston, Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor and Sydney Greenstreet, a lot of the film is taken up by pure banter, before they start realizing they need some espionage in there too. Which is also kind of amusing seeing Bogie in his suit gun down some Japs and a plane in the Panama jungle. Maybe someone like Cagney, a bit more of an action man, mightve worked this a bit better.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm

colly wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

Fantastic film that - even if it'll make you sick to your soul.

Nothing like encouragement. :)
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:44 pm

colly wrote:
Twas my first Tashlin pic as well as for Martin and Lewis, and Harry will be pleased to note I enjoyed the style immensely, which may speed up my desire to nab the Mansfield double of THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? - the possibilites of what Tony Randall and Tom Ewell could do with this kind of film boggle the mind. 8)
Awesome. Really wanna see Artists and Models myself. Never been on ioffer before - is oldies247 the seller you used? Really tempted to buy it, since it's region free. Just need to look at shipping, really. Hope you enjoy the other Tashlin films. If you're not too thrilled with Jerry Lewis as a solo act, you may want to avoid a number of his films (although I utterly adore Cinderfella and The Geisha Boy), but The Girl Can't Help It and Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? are absolutely sublime. I only saw Rock Hunter for the first time last December, but I've seen it about five times since. They're like perfect, live-action cartoons.

Haven't watched a film myself for what seems like an eternity. May slap in a Lang picture tonight, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:19 am

It was indeed oldies247 - his postage was $4.50 US for the first DVD, then 50 cents for each one following. Ended up being quite a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:48 am

colly wrote:

Artists and Models (1955) Dir. Frank Tashlin

I got one of my ioffer packages in the mail today and it was especially pleasing - 5 of the 6 packages are in fantastic quality, and with the Martin/Lewis pics, I got 4 for the price of 2, and it appears the seller just burned his own DVD - this one was in anamorphic widescreen! :shock:

Funnily enough, in looking for the picture, I came across this description of the film:

Quote :
Why It’s Great: If this is first movie you’ve seen from Lewis’s heyday, you may fear that he’ll be a little over the top. And you’d be right. At times, he can be broader than the broadest Jerry Lewis imitation, but Martin has enough preternatural cool for both of them. They’re not attempting to play human beings at all—Martin is the ultimate dream of who we want to be and Lewis personifies our worst fears about how the world perceives us.

That's perfect, because I was just about to come on here and complain about how much Lewis, especially when left to his own devices, is a pure pain in the ass with his OTT-ness. The scene where he keeps going up and down the stairs really grated. But thats at least given a perspective to go on for THE CADDY (which I did also order), SCARED STIFF and YOU'RE NEVER TOO YOUNG (both of which I didnt but came with them).

But apart from that - its a whipsmart, colourful, wonderfully mid-50s vistavision romp thats filled with social issues (comic books), international intrigue (the Russians) and more dames (and their legs!) than a Busby Berkeley musical - in 100 minutes we've got time for 2 big blondes in Eva Gabor and Anita Ekberg, as well as 2 of my faves in Dorothy Malone and of course, Shirley MacLaine, who everyone will tell you steals the film. And they'd be absolutely right. The pics above from the smashing number "Innamorata" in which she just goes balls-to-the-wall nuts over Jerry Lewis. its one amazing scene.

"Artists & Models" is one of their's I still want to see
so far I've seen "At War With The Army" which had some good skits but was fairly awful when taken as as a whole movie
"That's My Boy" which was just plain awful
"'The Caddy" and "Pardners" are watchable enough
but '"Money From Home", which is based on material by Damon Runyan, has some better dialogue and is probably the best one of their's I've seen

however to really appreciate the magic chemistry of Martin & Lewis you need to catch some of their Colgate Comedy hour golden age of television stuff
very uneven but punctuated by moments of surreal genius on a par with the Marx bros, the Goons or Monty Python

as for Lewis on his own, the "Nutty Professor" was ok, but I couldn't finish "The Ladies Man", which cured me of any desire to watch further Jerry Lewis movies
sadly he was a comedy genius in search of a director and a script, if only the Farrelly Bros had been around then to put his talents to better use…
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:13 am

Johnny Angel
George Raft in one of his better sub Bogart adventures
the plot is intriguing enough, and moves along, but is let down by the dialogue, which is largely flat and lifeless, rather like Raft's performance, which once again fails to live up to the promise shown in "Scarface"
Raft has the stoney look and the voice but not the spark or charm
the movie also has a nice supporting role for Hoagy Carmichael, as the wily taxy driver
Carmichael projects a kind of laid back cool at times, but is far too short and of slight build to serve as a model for James Bond
I can only presume Fleming was referrring exclusively to his face or demeanor when he sighted him as an ideal for the appearance of Bond
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:46 am

Man on Fire

I caught it on TV and was hooked from the opening premise. Sure, it's a typical Tony Scott film with a typical Denzel Washington character, but it works very well. I'd say it's Scott's best film since True Romance. It's also a more intense, effective thriller than other similarly-themed revenge actioners like Taken or Edge of Darkness. And you can't do wrong with a supporting cast including Chris Walken, Giancarlo Giannini, Mickey Rourke, and Rachel Ticotin. Decent soundtrack too.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:21 am

I really couldn't stand that film based on the camera framing/editing alone. I found it too distracting and nauseating to really get into the flick.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 7:39 am

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Marlon-brando-the-teahouse-of-the-august-moon

The Teahouse Of The August Moon (1956) Dir. Daniel Mann

For the most part, a terrifically fun parody of the American manifest destiny - rather useless army man Glenn Ford gets plonked in a tiny outpost on Okinawa, with his translator (Marlon Brando doing a YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE) and his "Plan B" guidebook, in charge of teaching this little town about democracy and living the American way of life. Charged with building a school and all kinds of democratic committees, the process gets lost as Ford is first befuddled then enchanted by the Japanese way of life - ending up walking the town in his bathrobe (substituting for a kimono) and sandals, with his geisha by his side - and proceeds to help the townspeople in building a teahouse instead of a school, as well as a burgeoning brandy industry. laugh

Eddie Albert also appears as the army psychiatrist who at first is sent to evaluate Ford, then joins him in the oriental way of life - turns out he's a gardening enthusiast who wants to grow things the traditional way. laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 36 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next