More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+38
bitchcraft
Richard Hannay
Manhunter
SJK91
MBalje
Blunt Instrument
Louis Armstrong
Vesper
Seve
Hilly
Ravenstone
Klown
Drax
tiffanywint
Satorious
G section
CJB
HJackson
GeneralGogol
Moore
lalala2004
Lazenby.
Mr. Trevelyan
Chigawa
Salomé
bondfan06
Prince Kamal Khan
Fae
trevanian
Tubes
James. C
Control
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Fairbairn-Sykes
FourDot
colly
The White Tuxedo
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
G section wrote:
Apparently he played Flash Gordon in one of the Buck Rogers serials in a crossover-type story. Taking the p*** really. laugh

He also guested in Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. It was quite sweet, as I recall.

Planet of the Slave Girls. His character's Brigadier Gordon (wink, wink) and there's that moment where Buck says, "Do I know you from somewhere?" and Crabbe says something along the lines of "Nope, but I know you..." or some such.

Jack Palance hamming it up a little in that episode and who can blame him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:35 pm

He also says something like - "I was doing this since before you were born" I think.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
He also says something like - "I was doing this since before you were born" I think.

That would be what my mis-wired brain was aiming for.

Still, it was fun.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm surprised you noticed, what with Wilma Deering in a lycra jump suit ;)

That's all my Other Half looks at on Buck Rogers anyway!
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
I'm surprised you noticed, what with Wilma Deering in a lycra jump suit ;)

That's all my Other Half looks at on Buck Rogers anyway!

well...yes, you could say that's the perks as it were of watching Buck. :)
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Watching Buck was quite a perk when you're 8/9 :D
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:35 pm

MEGAMIND (5 stars)

Surprisingly good film.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:51 pm

G section wrote:

The so called "wise elders" of Saturn don't make decisions for themselves but just go along with whatever Buck Rogers or Killer Kane say....
4/5

Killer Kane from Buck Rogers. No doubt the inspiration for the infamous New York Dolls bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane.

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 220px-Arthur_Kane
Arthur "Killer" Kane in 1973.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:10 am

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Henrydm0402_600x442

Henry V (1944) Dir. Laurence Olivier
aka The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fift with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France

Watching a Shakespeare film without first having read/seen/studied the play first is always fraught with danger - in school I studied A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, ROMEO & JULIET, MACBETH and RICHARD III, but not HENRY V. Or HAMLET for that matter, which I think I'm going to read before watching Oliver's version. That said, at least I was familiar enough with the history of Henry V himself and the Battle of Agincourt, so that was a plus.

And to be honest, I thought I acquitted myself quite well - some of the comedy probably wouldve worked better had I read the play (the Robert Newton and co stuff especially, though I enjoyed the bits with Fluellen, MacMorris and co), and the scene post-battle when Olivier tries to win Catherine is a bit of a let-down after the excitement of before. And its a credit to Olivier that he could make the play so cinematic in the French scenes - the battle is riveting, inspring, and had me wanting to find my old copy of Age of Empires - the Age of Kings. laugh Credit must go to the actors involved too - besides Olivier (who as FD always said, speaks Shakespeare like he was born to it), I really thought Leo Genn was fantastic.

It came out in America in 1946, which put it in one of the toughest awards races in history (which was rightly dominated by THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES) - had it come out a year earlier it mightve scooped the pool methinks. Or 1944 too, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:40 am

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Thoughts expressed elsewhere. But I recommend it.

8/10

X-Men-o-Meter:

X2
X-MEN
X-MEN: THE LAST STAND
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE

Matthew Vaugn-o-Meter

LAYER CAKE
KICK-ASS
STARDUST
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:37 am

colly wrote:
Henry V (1944) Dir. Laurence Olivier
aka The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fift with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France

Watching a Shakespeare film without first having read/seen/studied the play first is always fraught with danger - in school I studied A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, ROMEO & JULIET, MACBETH and RICHARD III, but not HENRY V. Or HAMLET for that matter, which I think I'm going to read before watching Oliver's version. That said, at least I was familiar enough with the history of Henry V himself and the Battle of Agincourt, so that was a plus.
Hamlet is well worth a read regardless, but Olivier's film is stunning nonetheless. I really should get around to Henry V since I've loved Olivier's other Shakespeare adaptations. I've owned Welles' Macbeth for a while and really should watch that soon, since it's one of my favourite Shakespeare plays. Chimes at Midnight too, but I'm less eager to watch that due to a lack of textual familiarity.

Watched two yesterday. The first was a rewatch of RAISING CAIN Brian de Palma, 1992, which I really do enjoy a lot. I don't understand the problem so many people have with it. It's a lot of fun, and it's constructed with the same sort of wonderful technical flamboyance as most of de Palma's other great films.

Then I watched THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT Peter Greenaway, 1982 for the first time. Like A Zed & Two Noughts (although perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) it's a magnificently mounted cinematic puzzle, and one I plan to continue exploring. Anyone who stands in awe of Kubrick's visual mastery should watch Greenaway - his compositions are just as carefully chosen, but they're full of life where Kubrick's are dead.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Good Luck Chuck 7.0
Jumper 6.0 I expect more from it, but it be a set up movie what made Jumper 2 should. Strange it take til 2013 before we get a squel if you already know what you whant.
Armored (2009) 6.0

Tropic Thunder 8.0 WoW. I haven't seen a good comedy/action movie like this for a whyle :cheers:

Transporter 3 7.0 I consider as the best of the 3 movies.
17 Again. 7.0

Crank 2: High Voltage 5.0 Almost a 4. Only a 5 because the movie starts literal where the first movie end. Also a part of the plot oke, but i get it on my nerves from the handcam (Lucky there be careful with cinematopgraphy, what be a big problem for me with Transporter 2) and mexican actor from the first movie. Also the movie be a close to not ending where we wait for the whole movie, lucky this channel give about the end credits, if not then you don't know hjow it end after the actor showing his middle finger to us. Weard. :suspect:
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Continuing the Shakespeare bent...

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Sjff_03_img0973

Julius Caesar (1953) Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz

To be honest I considered this rather a safe bet - having done Latin for 6 years through school I'd studied Caesar quite extensively through his British campaigns, the first triumvirate, his eventual murder, the aftermath and plenty of stuff on Augustus/Octavian (including the Aeneid, clearly the wankiest piece of "epic poetry" in history), Antony and of course Cicero (gotta love his speeches against Cataline 20 years earlier). So I was reasonably confident.

And I wasnt disappointed - a massive MGM prestige production, they made the appropriate choice in getting Joseph L. Mankiewicz to direct. Pretty much a Fox director up til then, he had a great handle for talky films (see A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, ALL ABOUT EVE) and seems quite suited to a Hollywood-ized version of Shakespeare, and what results is the Bard's words infused with the spirit of a political thriller - and its terrific to watch.

Stacked with big names, the three most prominent are Marlon Brando as Antony, James Mason as Brutus and John Gielgud as Cassius. Brando snagged the Oscar nom and history has given him much of the plaudits - despite (IMO) being a bit young for the role, he does acquit himself surprisingly well. However I couldnt help but be mesmerized by Mason and Gielgud - much like the real Brutus, there's much to admire in Mason's Brutus; he perfectly captures the honorable Roman that he was. But Gielgud's something else; like Sanders in ALL ABOUT EVE, he's a schemer and more often than not a total bitch and he absolutely rules the screen whenever he's on it - a joy to behold. Calhern and O'Brien are less notable (but still solid), and Garson and Kerr dont get too much of a look in. Terrific film.

Having watched two Shakespeare's in a day, its amazing how switched on you have to be to stay with the picture - maybe I'm being overzealous with the insulin but I got low blood sugars with about 20 minutes left in both films today; I havent had such a mental sweat since last year at uni. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 pm

X-Men : First Class - this easily knocks the ropey Wolverine 'origin' movie (although Hugh Jackman's one-line cameo in this made me laugh out loud) from a couple of years back into a cocked hat. A superior slice of comic-book shenanigans.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Hamlet is one of my guilty pleasures. In fact, all Shakespeare is, but Hamlet especially.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 pm

The ludicrous, off the chart The Gauntlet. The 'get to somewhere without being killed' scthick but with Eastwood. Aside from the annoying Sondra Locke it's not too bad, nothing flash including the music but the clincher is the final sequence with the cops shooting the blazes out of the bus. Surreal looking scene in some ways, just all those cops. A slight thumb down for Pat Hingle being blasted away.

And before this the first 39 Steps. A contrasting double-bill if there were ever was one.

-------

https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=504
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 40 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40