More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Australian Politics thread

Go down 
+15
Prisoner Monkeys
Control
Loomis
j7wild
saint mark
Largo's Shark
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Fae
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
GeneralGogol
James. C
colly
CJB
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 am

Rudd has challenged Abbott to hold a series of debates on key policy issues so that the public knows where each party stands on each issue, and can make an informed decision from it.

Abbott has responded by accusing Rudd of being "all talk and no action", and has instead invited Rudd to make a speech before the National Press Club ... which would be "all talk and no action". And he'll only face Rudd in debate in the halls of parliament, rather than in a public forum.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 am

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/kevin-rudd-cuts-himself-shaving-then-shares-it-on-twitter/story-fnho52ip-1226676991326

Quote :
Kevin Rudd cuts himself shaving, then shares it on Twitter

AVERT your eyes people, Kevin Rudd has a shaving cut.

This morning the Prime Minister decided it would be a good idea to take a photograph of said cut and post it on his Instagram and Twitter accounts, complete with bloodied tissue.

The photograph was sent to more than 1.2 million followers.

So enlightened was our reinstated leader, he felt the need to share some newly-acquired grooming wisdom.

"Note to self: when rushing out the door in the morning, make sure you take care with the razor. It is sharp," he wrote.

Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 991232-748c6710-e8f6-11e2-b459-490c5143e0a3

From now on, I'm telling people I'm from New Zealand.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 pm

laugh 

You've reminded me of the Bill Maher live DVD called 'I'm Swiss'.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:11 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Rudd has challenged Abbott to hold a series of debates on key policy issues so that the public knows where each party stands on each issue, and can make an informed decision from it.

Abbott has responded by accusing Rudd of being "all talk and no action", and has instead invited Rudd to make a speech before the National Press Club ... which would be "all talk and no action". And he'll only face Rudd in debate in the halls of parliament, rather than in a public forum.

He actually responded by asking Rudd to call an election if he wants to debate him, which is the traditional context in which such debates are held.

Why would he debate Rudd at this point? Rudd has no policies. And Rudd wound up having to offer in his speech was swipe a couple of coalition policies and then regurgitate Gillard's January speech to the press club on the same issue.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 am

Labor Government concedes the Coalition was right about the carbon tax being shithouse.

That's nice of them.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:32 am

Vesper wrote:
Why would he debate Rudd at this point? Rudd has no policies.
Neither does Abbott. Aside from "we'll stop the boats", but he hasn't elaborated on that any further. He talked about turning the boats around and sending them back to Indonesia, but as soon as Rudd suggested that that could cause conflict with Indonesia, he hasn't mentioned it once. He talked about reinstating Howard's policies, but as soon as Rudd pointed out that his government failed because they didn't take into account the changing nature of asylum seekers (ie, decreasing numbers of Afghan and Iraqi refugees, and increasing numbers of Tamils), Abbott stopped talking about that, too. And then, since shooting themselves in the foot is apparently a team sport, Scott Morrisson decried consulting the Indonesians when shaping asylum seeker policy because the Liberals are apparently oblivious to the way co-operation with Indonesia is going to be an essential part of any asylum seeker policy, and evidently expect that they can just implement their own policy regardless of what Indonesia thinks and assume that Indonesia will simply follow their lead. Right now, Abbott has retreated to the position of "a coalition government will stop the boats within one term of government", which is about as empty a policy as you can get.

On top of that, you'll notice that Abbott has changed his choice of words of late. Ever since Rudd was reinstated as Prime Minster, he's started prefacing all of his comments with "if we win government". He didn't need any policies because he was going to win an election against Gillard in a landslide. Now that he's up against Rudd, the Liberals are evidently genuinely concerned that Rudd might bounce back, and Abbott has gone back to dodging and weaving, and giving vague answers.

I particulaly liked the way he got very upset that the government were running a smear campaign against him over incorrect billing a few years ago when he's the one who had some of the dirtiest and msot disgraceful examples of political advertising loaded and ready to go the moment Rudd was reinstated. His hipocracy is astonishing.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:54 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
when he's the one who had some of the dirtiest and msot disgraceful examples of political advertising loaded and ready to go the moment Rudd was reinstated.

laugh 

All the Libs did was play public statements made by Labor ministers who have worked with Kevin Rudd. Evidently, many people who have done so come to the conclusion that he's a shifty little cunt.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 am

It's still a dirty and disgraceful smear campaign, and incredibly hipocritical for Abbott to call foul the moment Labour point out problems with his own office considering that he just did exactly the same thing to Rudd.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:05 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
It's still a dirty and disgraceful smear campaign, and incredibly hipocritical for Abbott to call foul the moment Labour point out problems with his own office considering that he just did exactly the same thing to Rudd.

Do you know what a smear campaign is? Playing back words uttered by Gillard, Swan, Conroy et al to the media is not a smear campaign. If Hockey, Bishop, Pyne, and Trruss all came out and said Abbott was a cunt-and-a-half  you'd be on here with one hand on the keyboard and one unbuckling your trousers.

Why do you feel you know Rudd better than his former colleagues?

P.S. Aren't you an English teacher? It's hypocrisy. Hippocracy is a system of government based around hippopotamuses.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:16 am

1) A smear campaign is a campaign designed to sully the reputations of the targeted party. If the opposition's campaign against Rudd isn't a smear campaign, then Labour questioning Abbott's expenses is not a smear campaign.

2) We're all entitled to one word that we always spell wrong. Mine is "hypocracy".

3) We might just be better off with a government based around hippopotamuses.

EDIT: I just saw Abbott's latest "policy" ad, where he describes the "plan for a five-pillar economy" by listing the different types of industry. Unless his economic policy hinges on an understanding of the Stage 4 Commerce syllabus, he's got nothing.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
A smear campaign is a campaign designed to sully the reputations of the targeted party.

So Rudd's colleagues were the ones conducting the smear campaign.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 am

And that gives the Liberal party carte blanche to use it and then pretend that it's not a smear campaign and entirely justified?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
And that gives the Liberal party carte blanche to use it

Yes.

Don't publicly call your former party leader a psychopath if you don't want people to be aware that you think he's a psychopath.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:55 am

I can see why you like Abbott so much. You only answer half the question as well.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 am

I can see why you like Rudd so much. You too are a socially awkward, humourless knob whose utterances are as welcome as hemorrhoids.

I mean that in the nicest way possible.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 am

Heheh, Rudd's about to annouce his new asylum seeker policy. The Liberals decided to get ahead of the curve and put Scott Morrison before the cameras where he basically said "it doesn't matter what the government does, it's going to be shit". I wonder what their reaction would be if Rudd announced that he was going to do everything that the coalition thought was the best way forward ...

Anyway, I do like where this new policy is going. They've obviously identified that stemming the flow of illegal arrivals is a regional problem, and so needs a regional solution. And by working with Indonesia and PNG on the issue, they can come up with something that solves everyone's problems. It's considerably better than the coalition's approach of "we'll do what we think is best and if Indonesia or anyone else doesn't like it, fuck them". Because even though it's everyone's problem, common sense dictates that we should just make our own policy without consulting anyone else and then expect them to work with it, even if it only makes things worse for them.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:48 am

Quote :

Anyway, I do like where this new policy is going.

Yeah, I'm sure you didn't spend the Howard years bleating about offshore processing.

Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 am

I was too young to really formulate my own political opinions during the Howard years.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Once again, I find myself laughing at the coalition. After Morrison said "whatever they think of, it's going to be shit", Abbott's response to Rudd's plan is that it is not going to work under his leadership, but the way he phrases it amounts to "it's rubbish, but if we thought of it, it would be golden".

Channel Ten just had some civil libertarian discussing the evils of Rudd's plan, and he just made a fool of himself. Apparently we're being selfish and unsympathetic by sending them to PNG. He clearly missed that Rudd's plan is designed to try and shut down people-smuggling by discouraging asylum seekers from trying to get here via illegal means. It's not meant to stop people seeking asylum - just trying to stop them from getting here illegally. Especially economic refugees, who aren't fleeing for their lives.

Although Rudd's plan could maybe do with some kind of offshore pre-processing facility in co-operation with Indonesia, some kind of place where asylum seekers can go for processing in advance and get fast-tracked to being allowed into the country.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 2:45 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
He clearly missed that Rudd's plan is designed to try and shut down people-smuggling by discouraging asylum seekers from trying to get here via illegal means

I believe we already had that in place and working quite well before some fat-headed bloke in glasses got a case of post-election hubris.

Rudd started a fire and rocked up with a bucket of water five years later. Thanks, mate.

Though I'm amused to see you and the ALP talk about "economic migrants" and whatnot. Conservatives have been saying that for years and it was howled down as dog-whistle waaacism by the Left. Nice to see you folks have caught up.

Last edited by CJB on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 am

CJB wrote:
Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
He clearly missed that Rudd's plan is designed to try and shut down people-smuggling by discouraging asylum seekers
I believe we already had that in place and working quite well before some fat-headed bloke in glasses got a case of post-election hubris.
Thank you for taking my post completely out of context. Where I said that Rudd's plan is to stop asylum seekers travelling here via illegal means, you have made out that I said Rudd's plan is to stop asylum seekers travelling here full stop.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:16 am

Edited.

Now it's in context.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 am

It doesn't change the fact that you did it in the first place. If it was deliberate, then it was malicious. If it was unintentional, then it was lazy.

Which would you rather be? Neither does much for your cause.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 4:41 am

I'll lock in "worked 'til the early hours of this morning," Eddie.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:30 am

I see Tony Abbott formally launched his election campaign today. His slogan? "Choose Change". Am I the only one who sees the irony in this, since every politician promises change? I'd be saying the same thing about Rudd, if that was his slogan.

Abbott also fails to recognise that change forthe sake of change is not nnecessarily a good thing. He's also declared the Rudd-Gillard government to be the worst in our history, but gives no evidence to demonstrate why the coalition won't be even worse. Given their stance on education and the way they ate willing to jeopardises the futures of thousands of children for the sake of their own political ambitions, I'd say they've already manage to surpass whatever disaster we got from the current government.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Australian Politics thread    Australian Politics thread  - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Australian Politics thread
Page 12 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next