More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes

Go down 
+6
Sarai
CJB
AMC Hornet
Blunt Instrument
Strangways&Quarrel
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty
PostSubject: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Given it's the only Guy Hamilton film left that we haven't covered, in his honour, what are your three favourite scenes from this film?

1. Crocodile Farm
Great little scene, with it opening with the brilliant and rather Flemingesque in its dark humour, the 'trespassers will be eaten' sign, and closing with Bond torching the facility. That iconic stunt is great, Moore seems a little more vulnerable than usual, and one of his gadgets fails him, which I find very refreshing and welcome. When I thought of creating this thread, this is the scene that immediately popped into my head.

2. Bond and Solitaire discover the Poppy Fields
I'm not sure why I like this scene so much. It seems like another take on the helicopter vs Bond scene in FRWL, but the shrubbery conceals Bond, but also blocks him from retaliating.

3. "Did you touch her?!"
Yacht Kotto's best scene in the film. A very underrated villain IMO, and the dynamic between Bond, Solitaire and Kananga is something different from the usual Bond Girl/Villain/Bond dynamic, and it creates sufficient tension. I like the set too!

Honourable mentions: Titles sequence, bus chase, boat chase ending.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 pm

1. The Crocodile Farm (the whole thing)
Exactly what FieldsMan said. The scene definitely feels like it would fit right in a Fleming novel especially Bond improvising a way out of the place. You could almost imagine what Fleming's descriptions would be like as you watch the scene unfold.

2. The End of the Boat Chase
While at times the chase itself felt like it dragged a bit the ending was quite spectacular and more of Bond having to improvise to get his way out of the mess. Plus George Martin's score throughout the chase must be noted.

3. Everything J.W. Pepper
The true hero of the film. Loyal Sheriff of the Louisiana State Po-Lice and always on the front line whether it's "Black Russians", Doomsday Machines or Chicken Coops. The car boat scene especially shows true professionalism as he takes command of two snarky officers. "And that means you, smart-ass."

Honorable mentions to Kananga's villain speeches during the interrogation scene and in his underground lair plus Baron Samedi's appearance on the back of the train.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:15 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Given it's the only Guy Hamilton film left that we haven't covered, in his honour, what are your three favourite scenes from this film?

1. Crocodile Farm
Great little scene, with it opening with the brilliant and rather Flemingesque in its dark humour, the 'trespassers will be eaten' sign, and closing with Bond torching the facility. That iconic stunt is great, Moore seems a little more vulnerable than usual, and one of his gadgets fails him, which I find very refreshing and welcome. When I thought of creating this thread, this is the scene that immediately popped into my head.

I'm not sure why I like this scene so much. It seems like another take on the helicopter vs Bond scene in FRWL, but the shrubbery conceals Bond, but also blocks him from retaliating.

3. "Did you touch her?!"
Yacht Kotto's best scene in the film. A very underrated villain IMO, and the dynamic between Bond, Solitaire and Kananga is something different from the usual Bond Girl/Villain/Bond dynamic, and it creates sufficient tension. I like the set too!

Nice low-key one-liner from Rog during 'Did you touch her?' when Tee-Hee makes a meal of removing his watch and he says 'Butterhook'.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 pm

LALD is one movie I can watch repeatedly without pausing (actually, I can say the same for all Guy Hamilton's efforts). Paring my favorite scenes down to three is a daunting task, but here goes:

007 in New York - the whole sequence, especially sneakin' about the parking garage and meeting Solitaire.

The boat chase, especially jumping the Glastron GT150 over the sheriff's car. I wish he hadn't had to switch boats, but I suppose a more powerful inboard motor was required to make those slides across dry land.

The finale in Kananga's grotto. When I get my own underground 'lay-ar' it's going to look like that.

Throughout, it's George Martin's music that adds atmosphere to every scene.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun May 01, 2016 2:23 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
FieldsMan wrote:

1. Crocodile Farm

3. "Did you touch her?!"

Nice low-key one-liner from Rog during 'Did you touch her?' when Tee-Hee makes a meal of removing his watch and he says 'Butterhook'.  

Always found 'butterhook' to be more of a dad joke than a one liner...
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun May 01, 2016 6:46 am

FieldsMan wrote:

Always found 'butterhook' to be more of a dad joke than a one liner...

Almost sounds like a DAD joke.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:

1. Crocodile Farm

3. "Did you touch her?!"

Updating this:

1. Crocodile Farm.
For the reasons above but also because it gives Julius Harris something to do as Teehee. He's such a presence but underused until this moment and he relishes it. Love that laugh as he walks away from Bond with Martin's music.

2. After the "Did You Touch Her" scene
Specifically after Bond's been knocked out - the moment between Kananga and Solitaire is the real highlight. Kotto is fantastic here.

3. The Titles
The song and the visuals are a brilliant combination. One of the finest in the series.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 2:31 pm

All great choices and that scene with Kananga and Solitaire was genuinely uncomfortable and frightening. I thought his performance was excellent at the end too when he gave the Bond being a sore loser speech. it had such menace and charm at the same time
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 4:47 pm

1. Crocodile Farm

3. "Did you touch her?!"

Updating this:

1. Crocodile Farm.
For the reasons above but also because it gives Julius Harris something to do as Teehee. He's such a presence but underused until this moment and he relishes it. Love that laugh as he walks away from Bond with Martin's music.

2. After the "Did You Touch Her" scene
Specifically after Bond's been knocked out - the moment between Kananga and Solitaire is the real highlight. Kotto is fantastic here.

3. The Titles
The song and the visuals are a brilliant combination. One of the finest in the series.

Those are good calls.

I got a kick out of some of Pepper's comic scenes. Specifically, "Now you listen here, troopah boy! We got a swamp full of black Russians drivin' boats to beat the band!" You could tell the constables in the front seat were doing all they could not to burst out laughing.

And, of course, "What are you, some kind of doomsday machine, boy?! Well, we got a cage strong enough to hold an animal like you!"
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm

How odd that I avoided this one.

1. Bond meets Solitaire.

Specifically the moment when having seen his cards, Bond is marched out by the goons, the way the music sounds and Moore's goodbye to Solitaire. Faint sense that Bond's in very serious danger.

2. Whisper Who Dares

Bond veering down the road in New York, the 70s style music going ten to the dozen, that startled reaction of a driver/passenger in another car.

3. Bus

when I was little I was quite taken by the image of James Bond wrestling with an old London bus. It's crazy, it's nuts and it culminates with that shot of Jane Seymour leaning out the window hair flowing in the wind...

and any moment with the late great Hedison. "Now, Mr Bleeker, I'm sure there's no reason for name-calling."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 2:33 am

Wish there was a little more of Hedison in the film, but of course using the novel as a foundation, there was bound to be less Leiter here.

Likewise PK I very much enjoy the Pepper scenes. Brightens a bloated boat chase. Though had his scenes been cut, the chase might have been snappier. Chicken or egg and all that.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 pm

I think, personally, what would have helped the boat chase a little was a bit more music to it. Doesn't need it all the way through but I think in places would have helped. I don't mind the score generally, but as I said elsewhere, the non-Barry scores for Moore's films seemed light in certain places. Certainly, JB never always filled the movie but just a bit more punch would be nice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 1:55 am

The entire picture is noteworthy so selecting only three moments is darn near impossible. I could make the case for anything as in this film Bond continually uses his wits and forces the enemy's hand to reveal more information by boldly going forward and placing himself in danger. This both establishes Roger as a strong Bond and replicates the events of the novel beautifully.

4. The whole film. The PTS, the runaway taxi deathtrap, Bond meets Solitaire, Bond to Harlem, Bond and Rosie as lovers in the Queen of Cups scene, the Baron Samedi dance scene, "Mrs. Bond"? as a OHMSS nod, Quarrel Jr as a DN nod, the nighttime hang glider infiltration, the Solitaire seduction, "If he finds it kill him", the airport escape, the boat chase, ol' JW, Kananga's intensity, the trick jazz funerals, the score, the "did you touch her?" confrontation, the inevitable finale, the voodoo rituals you never forget the look and sounds of, the snake killings, the underground lair, the platform in a gravestone, the shark pellet death, the Tee-Hee suspenseful finale tag and of course the final choker shot of the Baron laughing us all into a stupor.
And of course all of Mank's gags!
"Yes sir Mr. Bleeker. I know you can't just glue the wings back on. Yes sir I'm sure you're a veteran..."
"Kananga's knitting a flag in there"
"It's just a hat darling belonging to a small headed man of limited means who lost a fight witha chicken."
Probably the snake killing could be up here as well. Immensely effective suspense is built through this sequence which shows 007 that he is blown and must endeavor to stay alive. Then he finally sees the snake and in a last ditch effort uses the tools at hand in a display that while gratuitously over the top and probably shouldn't quite work in real life-is just believable and amazingly awesome in that instant to be beautiful and unforgettable.

3. The finale of the boat chase with Adam Vs Bond in the shipyard. The entirety of the boat chase has built to this and the only way Bond is able to escape the much faster boat is to use his ingenuity again and surprise Adam with a bucket of gasoline to the face. Martin's score finally comes back in which is sorely missing in most of the chase to really amp up the urgency and thus it's a climatic moment when Bond smashes into the jet boat repeatedly to line it up with the wreck and its fiery demise in a huge fireball.
Then we get the gorgeous "keep boating a safe sport, 3 mph only please!" tag ending to the whole setpiece.

2. The bus chase. Outstanding buildup and ramping of tension. Bond displaying actual driving skills and using his wits to overcome the different types of pursuers. This culminating in the low bridge stunt which is PERFECTLY built up to and allows the audience to revel in the anticipation of the event to come. This outdoes the DAF alleyway stunt and doesn't stop the film cold for an overlong chase the way the Vegas chase did. The later boat chase while overlong is actually intrinsic to the plot where the DAF chase is not.
Then the scene is further capped off by the brilliant placement of the music cue and shot showing Bond tearing through the town street almost tilting on one side with a sharp turn towards Quarrel Jr's boat in a half destroyed bus.
"Sweet mother of pearl!"

1. The crocodile farm. Hamilton and Mankiewicz outdo themselves yet again and create what is undoubtedly the single best snakepit scene in the entire series and possibly in motion pictures. First we have the locale which is outstanding-then the buildup and the talking villain scenario but different in that the threat is not immediately revealed and the villain while relishing in his evil is not cracking Bond's composure. Then Bond is abandoned and the villains can't even be bothered to stay because there is literally no way out and they have work to do. The audience is placed with Bond exactly in mortal peril and given every chance to try and come up with a solution. Then the gadget is remembered and tried-and proved to be useless. The tension is excruciatingly built up to the point that there is literally no way out until Bond's ingenuity sees only one slim possible chance and makes his break for it.
Martin's triumphant cue is sparse and simple and absolutely spectacular. The editing decision to cut it down and hold it until Bond makes it over onto dry land is astonishingly effective.

And if that was not enough we are then treated to one of the best assembled montage pieces in the series where the music is perfectly synchronized to Bond's complete dismantling and destruction of Kananga's drug refinery with some remarkable live explosions and two fisted ingenuity. He then makes his escape roaring off in the Glastron which sets up "the biggest boat chase you ever saw".
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyFri Aug 14, 2020 3:38 pm

I'm not a big fan of the Roger moore films, they range from silly to plain dumb, not the stories particularly but the fact they turned Bond into a comic book character....However Live and let die is probably my favourite Roger moore Bond film.

1. Trespassers will be eaten...Bond finds himself in a bit of a pickle as the crocs approach, a nice touch having the only boat tied up as Bond tries to summon it using the magnetic watch....now what will he do? ,use the crocs as stepping stones of course!..The stuntman came perilously close to losing a foot

2. Filet of soul... Bond has a nasty turn and his first encounter with Mr big...Yaphet kotto is such an underrated actor and deserves more credit...Names is for tombstones now take this honky outside and waste him!....Brilliant!

3. Kanangas lair...Another sterling performance by Kotto as he clumsily handles the compressed gas bullet which was to be his stairway to hell
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

Glad to see more appreciation for that moment with the watch on the croc farm. So refreshing to see it fail him, forcing Bond to use his wits. Of course the gadget comes into good use later, but here it's nice to see Bond improvise his way out. Bond wouldn't know what that means these days.

Good call on Kotto. I'm not sure he's used as well as he could have been in the film, but when he's allowed to display Kananga's villainy, you believe it.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 1:16 pm

Does Bond rigging the gas bottles to blow and take out the helicopter in the resultant explosion in SF not count as him improvising his way out of a sticky situation, then?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 pm

BI, you must understand by now that when I refer to the current era, I refer to the majority: CR, QOS and SP. This excepts SF, which is the true successor of the original books and films. It's an oddity in Craig's run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes   Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes Empty

Back to top Go down

Live and Let Die: Your 3 Favourite Scenes
Page 1 of 1