More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?

Go down 
+5
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Flush
Professor Train
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? Empty
PostSubject: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 3:42 pm

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? Fotolia-26710073-S--hearingchallenged-com_14696_g

I'd like to ask you for your thoughts on the sound torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?

In the scene in question the villain Dr Anton Murik and his assistant Mary-Jane Mashkin apply white noise to Bond's ears in a white tiled torture chamber.

What did you think of it?

Have you any praise for it or criticisms of it?

Was it too tame (as some commentators have said) or something refreshingly different?

How would you rank it alongside the other torture scenes by Ian Fleming, Kingsley Amis and John Gardner himself?

I'd love to hear from you!   smile
Back to top Go down
Flush
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Flush

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 8:21 am

Brian.
The Supposedly Permanently Banned Member they called Brian
He grew,... grew, grew, and grew--
Grew up to be-- grew up to be
A boy called 'Brian'-- and Silhouette Man -- and Colonel Sin -- and multiple other fucking usernames
A boy called 'Brian' -- and General YY -- and Christ, there were so many of them, all amounting to nothing.
He had arms... and legs... and hands... and absolutely no content for his blog,
This boy... whose name was 'Dragonpol'. Or "High Trees". Or some other pointless rubbish.

Last edited by Flush on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 1:38 pm

I confess the only non Fleming Bond I have read is Col Sun ...oh and the Christopher Wood adaptations his two movie scripts MR And TSWLM. I may be tempted to a Gardner novel if it is well regarded here but the described sequence brings to mind the one in 'Puppet on a Chain' which comes across fun but somehow never rang quite true (pun intended).
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 11:44 pm

lachesis wrote:
I confess the only non Fleming Bond I have read is Col Sun ...oh and the Christopher Wood adaptations his two movie scripts MR And TSWLM. I may be tempted to a Gardner novel if it is well regarded here but the described sequence brings to mind the one in 'Puppet on a Chain' which comes across fun but somehow never rang quite true (pun intended).

Similarly, I haven't read any of the continuation novels, though I do have Solo and Carte Blanche on the shelf for a rainy day.

Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I have recently bought a copy of Maclean's Puppet on A Chain and look forward to reading it to see how the scene matches up to Gardner's version of the sound torture in Licence Renewed.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptySat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 am

lachesis wrote:

The 'electrodes on Bond's testicles' torture scene in the TSWLM tie-in novel seems oddly out of place in an age when the films were comfortably being classified as PG/A certificate. I can only presume it was in the original screenplay only for Wood to be told 'We can't possibly do this'.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
lachesis wrote:

The 'electrodes on Bond's testicles' torture scene in the TSWLM tie-in novel seems oddly out of place in an age when the films were comfortably being classified as PG/A certificate. I can only presume it was in the original screenplay only for Wood to be told 'We can't possibly do this'.      

I should really get onto these continuation novels. They sound so wacky. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptySun Apr 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Hehehe.

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere around here but SPECTRE'S torture scene was an adaptation of the one in Colonel Sun, with that nasty drill taking the place of sharpened bamboo shoots.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 11:26 pm

The swiftness of Fleming is partly there in LR which is why I think it's the most successful of the Gardener books. Growing up I thought For Special Services was the best but now I prefer the focus of LR despite the climax being a bit underwhelming and GF in feeling.

After Role of Honor and Nobody Lives Forever I think the quality really starts to drop off though No Deals and Scorpius have very good moments. Death is Forever is the late highlight though the ending isn't as good and neither is invoking Tracy with every potential love interest with an obvious short lifespan...

And then Never Send Flowers is truly weird, SeaFire is better I suppose and Coldfall is a perfect 10 on the WTF? meter.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 7:01 am

The best sound torture scene in Bond is 'Another Way to Die.'
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 pm

CJB wrote:

Heh. Ain't that the truth? Blimey.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere around here but SPECTRE'S torture scene was an adaptation of the one in Colonel Sun, with that nasty drill taking the place of sharpened bamboo shoots.

"I take this skewer and I insert it into your skull." The thin length of metal gleamed in the muddy light. (Ch 19: The Theory and Practice of Torture (p. 214))

Consider yourself pontificated - or pedanted.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 7:13 pm

flush
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 pm

CJB wrote:

Brilliant. laugh
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 8:37 am

Bear in mind we've yet to hear Eilish's offering.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am

This is true, though, my gut instinct for the Alicia Keys and Sam Smith efforts was that they were going to be woeful. I wasn't wrong. For Eilish... I feel it will be an improvement, but a minor one. I'm somewhat optimistic about her theme - it could be another Die Another Day, which I find underrated, but it won't match the greats in the series, like Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, Goldeneye, Surrender, etc...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 3:23 pm

White's bluesy rock leanings and Keys' soulful vocal stylings SHOULD'VE been a match made in heaven. Lord knows what went wrong.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Oh really? I always thought they were an odd coupling.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 am

Hehehe, maybe that was just me.

Tbh, I'd have been happy if White had just reworked the frankly mighty 'Seven Nation Army' for it ... rewrite a few of the less-fitting lyrics, stick orchestration on it. Job done laugh .
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Oh really? I always thought they were an odd coupling.

Me, too. What's next? Jay Z rapping to Mozart?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Well Kanye sampled Barry's Diamonds Are Forever so that's not far off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?   The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Sound Torture scene in John Gardner's Licence Renewed (1981)?
Page 1 of 1