More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

James Bond on Laserdisc

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

James Bond on Laserdisc Empty
PostSubject: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 am

I've been making collection videos of my Laserdisc hobby and finally uploaded extensive Bond portions because that's what got me into collecting them. I just finished by doing a review of some rare Japanese imports loaned for review and finally my white whale, the uber rare Japanese only TWINE Laserdisc!

So if you've ever wondered how the old video masters were made, or where they originated and how Bond used to be on video..look no further because I get super nerdy. Pretty much every master originated on LD and made its way down to VHS, Beta and then eventually the LD materials prepped for special editions were used on the DVDs.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 am

I've just ordered a LD copy of YOLT, so very soon I'll be able to take screencaps to make a more complete comparison.

Was never planning to get more LD copies after I got the Criterion discs. I did eventually get a 1989 MGM of THUNDERBALL, just so I could listen to the original sound mix for the first time, as later video editions used a 5.1 remaster made for a mid-90s LD and a downmix of it. What really surprised me was hearing the original end credits Barry composed play out the movie! I've only heard it on the soundtrack. I already know of the alternate ADR lines.

Am I correct in assessing that the 1989 LD master was based off a US print? My understanding of the DVDs and later formats is that MGM used the original British cuts as the sources for their video transfers, which is why TLD began with the original blue UA placeholder logo, as opposed to the CGI version. I would assume because TB was in such a rush the UK had the credits end with the 62 theme that was originally a temp, but by its US release they were able to master a new print with the new music.

EDIT: Currently watching the first video of yours. You brought up the audio glitch present in your copy of the 1989 MGM LD of THUNDERBALL. I just checked my recorded file of the film and it is indeed present in the scene you mention, so it's not just your copy that carries the glitch.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 am

Oh wow nice to see another person has got the Bond LD bug but prepare yourself for obsession!

The LD releases really are interesting to look at and watch over the years-but of course you have to have a good player and live with LD quirks and quirks of MGM discs at the time. They are still the best sounding releases of the earlier films bar none though. You can get almost all the letterbox releases for a few bucks each so I think they are extremely important for any Bond fan.
Notes: The OHMSS LD was also the first uncut version on video and then the SE DVD went back to missing things.
GE and TND are reference discs for the format. the former is super common and stuffed with extras. The latter is movie only and more like a $10 disc but the picture is also top 10 in the format.
TWINE is stupidly rare and expensive ($200-500) and thus why I've only reviewed a loaner copy.

No one has ever released the specs of the 1995 TB "restoration". It took me ages to figure it out but almost all the MGMUA "restorations" on LD and VHS at this time period were usually not proper restorations but remasterings of the currently available home video transfers and then presented in CAV Laserdisc sets with some extras or a surround track. If you look closely on the 1995 CAV LD box or the 1998 CLV THX Laserdisc/THX DVD/ SE DVD which are all the same master ported you can clearly tell it's just a much sharper presentation of the same master as the 1989 disc and with the color regulated. It has the same hair in the gate and damage during the traction table for instance.

However it was desired to make a surround mix and so they simply slipped in Barry's stereo music stems to a mono source track and then applied Dolby ProLogic encoding for slight surround echo. This was bumped up to 5.1 on the THX Laserdisc final release and has carried over ever since. However the source they used is where the alternate dialogue and JB end theme came from and it has never been stated where they got it from. I used to wonder if it was an abandoned 70mm mix-then realized it must have been a work track or perhaps a US vs UK difference. your suggestion is quite possible and would be similar to original December 1964 GF prints in the UK still having the 003 counter while the later prints made for the US in January 1965 all by then had 007.

On the 89 glitch: YES! Thanks ever so much for saying I'm not hearing things! That was one of my first ever discs and I never could tell if it was my old first player or something going wacky. I've almost bought other copies since but I did eventually get the Connery Collection Vol. 2 box which has the same master in it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
your suggestion is quite possible and would be similar to original December 1964 GF prints in the UK still having the 003 counter while the later prints made for the US in January 1965 all by then had 007.

I heard the 007 counter was a last minute gag, though if an early print exists without that gag I assume it just simply cuts from the turning off the bomb straight to Bond's "what kept you?".
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 am

I always thought it was a rumor or only on very early prints. But it indeed exists!
A 16mm segment showed up on ebay this year with the 003 timer. Sadly it was far overpriced for just a piece of the film.
I then did some research and found that indeed since the first prints were made for December 1964 in the UK they all carried the 003 counter. Harry's idea was so last minute it only made it into the January 1965 prints for the UK and the later US prints and then of course anything made later on.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Huh, it sounds kind of odd to just cut to the counter reading 003, when Bond saying "three more ticks" would have sufficed. Cutting to a shot of the counter that reads anything other than 007 sounds rather pointless. Odd!

I'm just watching the YOLT LD via DVD Recording so I can provide screencaps for comparison. Is it me or are parts of the film actually slightly sped up to make room for disc space? It's not all of them. When Bond is approaching the Osato building for the second time the music sounds pitched up, but later on the music sounds back to normal. I never owned any home video that did time compression before. I always assumed that was done for the whole film, rather than just a few portions. Probably would have been better to do that in scenes that contained no music, as I wouldn't have noticed it as much.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 4:13 am

At first it sounded like you were describing the time compression of the early pan n scan analog discs. I thought it was limited to certain titles but it appears TB onwards on those were time compressed and its soooooo bad that popping on TSWLM or MR is hysterical due to it being so blatantly obvious and far worse than PAL speedup helium voices. I think the ones that suffer from time comopression on those earliest discs are TB, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and MR. I only have a handful of the earliest discs and the original DN is unaffected probably due to length so perhaps the YOLT one is fine. Eventually they stopped the practice I think with FYEO. OP and TLD are fine.

None of the letterboxed ones have time compression on them and since YOLT is under two hours it fits onto one CLV disc fine.
I take it you mean the Barry cue where Bond as Fisher is looking up at the outside of the Osato building in the taxi. I took it that it was always pitched up slightly that way in the original mono mix and does sound a bit odd. They may have adjusted it some in the 5.1 remix but I don't know for sure as I NEVER listen to those.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I actually acquired MGM's Connery LD Collection first volume, just to see how MGM's release looks from Criterion's. It's interesting to me how both seem to have advantages and disadvantages against each other. Criterion always seems top notch when it comes to making sure there's no aliasing in their transfers, whereas it creeps up in the MGM titles. Also it seems that because MGM's transfers are far more detailed and sharp that results in more of those rainbow artifacts, as it's pushing the limit of composite video. Then there's the different framing between the two. And so on and so forth.

Anyway, I figured if I'm gonna do screencap comparisons of the LDs, might as well dedicate it to here, especially as I'm still waiting for LALD to come thru the mail.

1991 Criterion Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 01DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 01DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 02DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 02DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 03DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 03DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 04DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 04DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 05DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 05DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 06DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 06DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 07DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 07DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 08DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 08DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 09DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 09DNLD92

James Bond on Laserdisc 10DNLD

1992 Connery Collection
James Bond on Laserdisc 10DNLD92
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 5:06 am

Beautiful. The really odd thing is when you realize it's the same print source for both discs. (Look at Bond sitting with Moneypenny and you'll notice a big mark identical on both discs.) Same cue marks and even the same exact damage marks. I'm almost certain it's the same print for both. This disc comparison led me to realize many Criterion discs of MGM titles later redone by MGM were either identical or MGM did newer masters that fixed some of the more off balanced color of the earlier Criterion discs.

You're spot on with the aliasing note. It can crop up willy nilly allover the place in MGM discs but only occasionally pops up in CC titles usually. But a few years down the road CC caught up quite a bit technically.

For the initial three:
DN-I think the Criterion is lovely and has full CAV but the Connery collection MGM CLV disc is sharper and has better color at the expense of no CAV and aliasing. Same print used for both.
The final 1998 THX LD is the same master but has the color boosted, modern UA logos and is sharper but that seems more like edge enhancement etc. In other words it's a 1.66 Ld of the eventual SE DVD.

FRWL-Criterion is a letterbox version of the master used on the last MGM 1.33 LD. Looks lovely. however the MGM CLV Connery collection maste ruses a better looking source and has like DN better sharpness and color grading. The final THX LD again bumps up color saturation and sharpness like the SE DVD descended from it. Most interestingly the THX LD has the burned in subs of the 90's VHS version! (Tania's friends outside the consulate.)

GF-here they differ the most. Criterion's color resembles more of a dye transfer technicolor print as it feels colder overall and has reel change cues. MGM Connery collection disc is sharper but more contrasty and greyed out. The 1995 CAV box fixes this with a lush color grading that lasted through the SE DVD.

And you're right. Criterion is more 1.75, MGM opens up to something close to 1.66 and at times even more open.

Firstly, sorry to get you induced into 007 LD madness. big grin
Second which LALD did you pick up? the first letterboxed version had an error on its audio tracks and has an older master whereas the fixed version is from a year or so later with much improved video. As a completest you need both as the error disc has the isolated mono score on the PCM digital track for a portion of the film instead of being confined to the analog only.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 2:11 am

hegottheboot wrote:
Firstly, sorry to get you induced into 007 LD madness. big grin

Only myself to blame! I was only meaning to just have the Criterion LDs, and TB for its original mono mix when it came to this format. The 007 LD fever really began because of the 4K titles. I wanted not only to compare them to other previous video formats but get a sense of how the films looked when they used existing prints as the basis for LD transfers, and to see if that was better represented in the 4Ks. For a long time I assumed the YOLT SE DVD was what the film originally looked like, thus you'd also assume the 4K is way off because it looks nothing like it. Lo and behold, the LD shows that the 4K is actually closer than many would assume, and the DVD turned out to be the outlier. Part of why I take screencaps like these was to show them to someone who swore the DVD looked like what the film did at a 35mm print screening. Our memories can be faulty, so I try to do what I can to debunk misrememberings like that.

1989 MGM LD
James Bond on Laserdisc 09YOLTLD

2000 SE DVD
James Bond on Laserdisc 09YOLTDVD

2012 FOX BD
James Bond on Laserdisc 09YOLTBD

2017 iTunes 4K
James Bond on Laserdisc 09YOLT4K

Also, about a year ago I actually did acquire the original 20th Century Fox LD of FYEO. It came out at a time when Bond was hitting LD shelves for the very first time in 1982, and FYEO was the newest installment of Bond at that point. It's probably the oldest LD copy I have at this point. It actually looks pretty decent, certainly holding up much better than the STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE Special Long Version LD copy, which came out a year after.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyTue Oct 01, 2019 10:58 am

I think the sunset on the 2000 SE DVD is my favourite out of those.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 4:34 am

I remember when everyone had up caps comparing the SE and UEs and how I had to eventually go back to old copies to realize that YOLT had never looked like the SE. It didn't help that I had never gotten the whole SE run before they went on moratorium and only picked up the ones I was missing after the UEs arrived. Nobody knows how the SE turned out that way as they primarily used the same sources they had used before. I have noticed some color tweaking here and there on other titles in the THX remastering process that started for the abandoned line of THX final special box Laserdiscs that became the DVDs. It's primarily a boosting of color in DN-FRWL, and a slightly more processed but cleaner transfer on Spy-MR.

I would hope the 4ks address the contrast problem inherent in the BDs for YOLT, OHMSS and others.

Still need that original FYEO disc. That was the first one I know of to be modern and not time compressed on the original runs. The oldest I have outside of the CBS-Fox DN is the original MGMUA rainbow stripe original release of OP.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Welp, I've now had an amusing experience. Not with LD, but VHS. Because I already had the original TLD and LTK tapes, I thought it would be fun to at least grab all the other 80s VHS titles, specifically OP and AVTAK (FYEO is less urgent, as I suspect the transfer is virtually identical to the Fox LD). First thing I do is pop in AVTAK, just to see how they handled the title sequence in P&S, of course they not only letterboxed it but even set the top and bottom bars in a color scheme to match with the titles. I remember SUPERMAN III did something like that with its title sequence having blue bars instead of black. The VHS of AVTAK looked pretty worn. Not terrible, but it's obviously been through plenty of runs in its day. But that's not the amusing experience.

Next was OP, which happened to be brand new shrink-wrapped. I had it set on watch for eBay until the seller offered me a discount, so I took it. Figured it would be nice to have a fresher tape and see what the film looked like on home video so soon after theatrical. So I pop in the VHS and after the FOX/CBS logo comes the slowly turning UA logo that I mainly knew from ROCKY III. Figured this was a plaster, as MGM does with so many of their titles. John Barry's score kicks in- but wait! Something's very wrong. That's not OCTOPUSSY, THAT'S BLOODY GOLDFINGER!!! I opened up a goddamn misprint by FOX/CBS!!! Never had that experience on VHS before. I had to eject the tape to see if I had just not notice the tape labeled GOLDFINGER. Nope, labeled OCTOPUSSY. What a riot!

So it plays out, but something's off. The sound pitch seems high. In fact, it clearly looks like the frame rate was sped up to 30fps because everything is moving so smoothly at that familiar standard video frame rate. Was this the case for the 1984 VHS GF copies? It makes me suspect that this transfer was originally meant for PAL videos, but it somehow ended up here in the States. Couldn't have just been an intentional time compression, because the movie is under two hours anyway. Either way, I couldn't watch more than I could because listening to a movie with an obviously higher pitch is one of the most grating things for my ears. It's especially annoying when I wanna find a clip on YouTube and what's uploaded happens to be sourced from a PAL speed up. UGH. It tempts me to just toss it into the garbage.

But anyway, that was amusing.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 am

Wow that's really interesting and sounds like a definite goof. I'll have to dig out my old GF tape but I don't think those have speed up like the LDs do as there would have been no need to apply time compression to a tape release.
Side note: I did finally find the DAD tape so my shelf is complete!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am

Now that you know it's wrongly labelled, could be worth sticking that tape back on eBay MP ... rarities/oddities like that can fetch a decent price.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm

I probably will do that. Funny how the seller wouldn't have known all along that they were carrying a misprint.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptySun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Before I start taking caps of the Brosnan era on home video, is there that much of a substantial difference in transfers between LD and DVD like it was for the Cubby era? The differences have been fascinating for the films so far, but with Brosnan's films having been released on both formats at the same time I shouldn’t expect the same difference I got between TLD’s LD and DVD.

And is there a notable difference between the 1990 and 1994 LDs that I should cap both?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 2:38 am

It's interesting to be honest. GE is a benchmark LD but if your setup isn't the greatest it merely looks okay on modern displays. On mine it challenges the first DVDs made from the same master and because it doesn't show all of the early DVD era issues I prefer it. The LD has the same bass heavy 5.1 ac3 as the early DVDs but the 2.0 matrix pcm track is also bass heavy. The DTS version is the same disc but with a more refined non bass heavy DTS track.
Lowry mucked about with the color on the UE and it was cropped on all sides. The BD seems to have gone back to perhaps the LD source master or one they polished up late for hdtv broadcast.

TND is easier to describe. The LD is reference for the format. Top 5 picture quality disc for LD easily. It bests the first DVD and SE DVD port which use the same master but introduce some color shifts. It also has theatrical burned in captions unlike the first DVDs. ac3 is excellent and the dvds have it but the DTS LD is even better. The UE DVD is a fresher master and is improved on all fronts but not dramatically so. The BD bumps this up to 1080p and looks even nicer.

TWINE is where the SE DVD advances beyond what the Japanese late release LD could do with the format. However there are places where they are very close and it's only DVD with its superior resolution that wins out as the master isn't perfect as it was made at the turn of the century. The biggest difference besides comparing analog to digital video is that the LD has different color timing that appears much more refined like the eventual Lowry touched version on the UE DVD/BD port whereas the SE DVD has some color shifting that doesn't feel right. The 5.1 tracks seem identical. Of course I only got the see the insanely rare LD as a loaner but the astronomical price tag doesn't justify owning it when the SE DVD can be had for 99 cents and you have every other version. I still want one though!!!
Of course I also compared the VHS versions. Imagine everything soft, blurry, pan n scanned, with hifi audio.

DAD got its first SE DVD which was good at the time but is full of edge enhancement macroblocking and all kinds of crud. The UE/BD fixes all this and also restores theatrical burned in captions. The SE disc has exclusive extras and a Dolby EX/DTS ES audio track though the late releases have a 5.1 track that still has all the matrixed rear info in there like TWINE does on BD.

1990 vs 1994, are you talking about the letterbox releases of LTK? The difference there is that the first was an earlier release by Fox and is very contrasty and video looking. It's also prone to rot and my copy has a speckling Side 3. The MGM 1994 repress is the same master but much improved on all fronts and is a great LD.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 4:54 am

Preaching to the choir! Should have emphasized that I'm really thinking of all this regarding screencaping. I'm already set on collecting the Broz on LD (in fact I just got the DTS LD of TND yesterday), I'm just kinda debating to myself if it's worth the time to try making screencap comparisons with the LDs if the DVDs were already based off the same transfers.

Same line of thought regarding LTK. I thought of getting both the letterbox releases because I was curious to see the differences between the two (kinda like how the P&S and MGM Letterbox of FYEO have differences). If it's just noisier and more video-like, then I'll hold off of that. In fact, I ordered the 1994 LD along with a the ac3 copy of GE by the same seller, so should expect it later this week.

TWINE on LD is obviously a no-go. I'll splurge for a DTS copy of TND, but I can't go that far for TWINE! Not too surprised to hear it may not hold up to the DVD. Obviously in the case of GE and TND they were coming right off the birth of DVD when it was still brand new and had a lot to work up to, whereas their LD counterparts were at the peak of that format.

Also, that DTS copy is so far my second in my collection, the other being CON AIR.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 am

Oh cool you got the DTS TND! It's an amazing disc and an incredible presentation. It holds up so well I prefer its audio slightly even to the BD's hdma track. I hope you got it at a good price as I had to wait a number of years before finding an affordable one. DTS discs are usually far pricier than I can afford and I only have three: GE, TND and The Shadow. (all great!)

Since the standard GE and TND are cheap and reference discs they're essential for any LD collection. The ac3 tracks are great and the GE release has the bass heavy mixes. And again you might be surprised by how good they look as I do think they're better than their first DVD counterparts-especially TND. Since GE has all the extras and is very affordable I think it's the best overall LD ever made.

LTK you only need the 1994 disc. The 1990 one is more for completion's sake or if you like to own every single iteration. It's usually super cheap so I'd say get it if you find a good copy for a buck or two. But it is noticeably more video like across the board compared to the much better MGM reissue disc. I do't think there's any other difference outside the older disc having both the TLD and LTK teaser trailers at the end whereas the reissue only has the LTK trailer. But the former also can suffer laser rot. I still need to get the Japanese pan n scan disc with the unrated cut one day.

What, you don't want to get the grail LD for $350+? ROTFLMAO It's always been my holy grail of LD and I've nearly gotten it at lower prices before but always get outbid. It's a great disc for what it is but the affordability is insane.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 9:53 pm

I mentioned I wouldn't do LD caps of GE for the comparisons on the 4K page, but that doesn't mean I'll never include them elsewhere. At some point I'm going to start a blog that will compile all the screencaps I did for each film. This is so it'll be easier to navigate on which film you want to see comparisons of, and so that multiple comparisons aren't so cluttered up into one page like it's been becoming on the 4K page.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyWed May 06, 2020 10:45 pm

Finally snagged a CLV-D704, so as soon as the decoder gets delivered I'll finally be able to enjoy the ac3 titles in all their glory. I already thought the D501 looked pretty good picture wise, but I can already see the uptick with D704. Watched a bit of TOP GUN, which to my eyes is one of the more impressive LD transfers. Even though it's not OAR, I think it looks better in 2:00 Univisium.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon May 11, 2020 5:27 am

Oh cool! I'm glad you got one! LD players are very tough to find these days and shipping them can cause all kinds of delicate inside parts to go freaky.
LD ac3 at first seems like it would merely be an early form of DVD ac3 but trust me it packs a wallop despite the small format size and is untouched. They started remixing in the DVD era a few years in so some films still sound best on LD ac3.
The reissue letterbox Top Gun LD is one of those discs everyone needs. Dirt cheap, great gatefold, outstanding picture and sound, phenomenal ac3 hat still holds up and may be the best sounding version.

I have never owned a 704 but my first player was its older brother the 702. The 700 Pioneers are really the benchmark pioneer players and do most everything very well. They should be much sharper than the 500 series.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyMon May 11, 2020 9:16 pm

I really lucked out in this instance because the seller actually kept the original box and foam for the 704 so that at least properly protected it during shipping. My Yamaha demodulator should be delivered tomorrow, so I’m pretty ecstatic to finally get a proper listen. I do think a lot of the digital matrixed tracks for titles like TOP GUN have already been very impressive, so I’m curious of the uptick with ac3. My only experience with 5.1 on LD is the two DTS titles I have (CON AIR and TND) and they are absolutely INSANE.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:38 am

That might just be the most positive thing you've had to say about TND.

colgate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc Empty

Back to top Go down

James Bond on Laserdisc
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next