More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

"Wasn't he in Bond...?"

Go down 
+3
Blunt Instrument
T.A. Ferguson
Hilly
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

"Wasn't he in Bond...?" Empty
PostSubject: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 10:46 pm

I had no idea what was suitable or indeed whether we had something similar. Recent discussions got me thinking. I haven't the time to do photos but there's always actors who I sometimes, in my more fatigued moments, think was in a Bond film but never was.

Chiefly actors who could've been in a 1950s made Bond or the very early, pre-YOLT Bond's.

Trevor Howard- M perhaps, Tanner at the outset or some type like Naismith plays in Goldfinger. Now, yes, Howard appears versus Connery in Meteor (albeit separated by monitor screens), in 1979 so was still acting but unless it was Havelock in FYEO or say the major who Bond 'rescues' from Kamal Khan in Octopussy, the early years would be his prime.

Michael Hordern- Again, M, or some role of authority.

Anthony Quayle- somewhere between his Guns of Navarone role and Battle of the River Plate. Not M but Tanner, Campbell in OHMSS, another Double O even. In the war, Quayle served both in the Auxiliary Units (that would've resisted a German invasion) and mostly SOE (in Yugoslavia). Those are the qualities that sometimes come through I think.

Dear Kenneth More of course, just because I'm his only fan nowadays. It's suggested he was in the wings to replace Bernard Lee if Lee had been unwell enough for LALD and as he was best mates with Sir Roger, I dare suggest it would have but as well, would not have helped. More by 1973 was not getting the roles he's famous for and maybe Bond would've given him a late burst before his illness took hold by 1980-81.

And finally, for now, Christopher Plummer. As what, I don't know. Even Bond himself or a faintly sinister role. Plummer can do villainly but often with a certain smile. I still wish he'd do a Bond film. Somehow.

"Wasn't he in Bond...?" Origin10

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 am

I liked Kenneth More especially in The Dark of the Sun.

As for people I would liked to have seen in a Bond movie:

Jack Palance : Scaramanga

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am

T.A. Ferguson wrote:

As for people I would liked to have seen in a Bond movie:

Jack Palance : Scaramanga

Can see that working if they'd went with the more thuggish Scaramanga from the novel.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 pm

T.A. Ferguson wrote:

I want to check that out soon. I read that More wasn't too thrilled about it, as he was not mad on the script and the role itself but by then needs must job-wise. The fact Rod Taylor's in it as well as has something going for it.
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Rod Taylor was on e of the best...and certainly one of my favorites.....I watched an interview of him and he stated he had signed to be 007 for Dr. No, but turned it down last minute because he felt it wouldn't resonate with movie goers.......He said it was the biggest regret of his career.

As for Dark of the Sun........most excellent flick. Very violent for it's day. Rod was exceptional in his role as Capt. Curry.

I would very much like to have seen a Rod Taylor 007, especially in scenes such as the 007-Grant fight in FRWL.

"Wasn't he in Bond...?" E35cb4f9cc1a4fd95c1e55262980d9ab--australian-actors-hollywood-stars

"Wasn't he in Bond...?" GgGcrhd2vgG7OQcwjruIvmIfV8V

Last edited by T.A. Ferguson on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Indeed, I read about Rod turning Bond down and supposedly, when he saw Dr No, he jumped up and down in frustration. He was a hero of mine growing up via the Time Machine. I'd love to have seen him in a Bond. Villain, some smarmy civil servant or maybe a rival agent.

I'll find a copy of Dark of the Sun somehow. Don't think it's available on DVD in Blighty.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 1:41 am

You'd be kicking yourself about turning down DN simply upon seeing Ursula Andress.

Was he ever approached for OHMSS? He and his agent should have been all over that when Connery announced he'd be stepping down.
Back to top Go down
T.A. Ferguson
Cipher Clerk
T.A. Ferguson

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 2:15 am

Good Question.....I don't know...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
You'd be kicking yourself about turning down DN simply upon seeing Ursula Andress.

Was he ever approached for OHMSS? He and his agent should have been all over that when Connery announced he'd be stepping down.

Don't think he was Fields. I know Adam West was, and Dalton of course.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm

When browsing Sam Neill's IMDB pages, apparently he was also considered for Goldeneye. Coming two years after Jurassic Park perhaps, as he says, a bullet dodged. Considering he would have been almost fifty when in Goldeneye. Would've been harsh on Brosnan you suspect.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Guess this means Hilly will start work on a 'Sam Neill in Goldeneye' fanfic? smile
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Ha, I very much doubt it. I've already done a Dalton one.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyTue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 pm

I'll stick it here as it's not worth its own topic as such, but seeing posters on the Tube for "The Current War" or whatever (forgive my fatigued mind), I found myself tonight pondering the possibility of Michael Shannon in a Bond film. Not just that, but I reckon a decent Felix Leiter.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 1:18 am

I think he'd be a great villain. Used to think he'd make a great reboot of Jaws, but he'd be wasted in that kind of role.

EDIT: Seems the internet agrees:

"Wasn't he in Bond...?" CaR75BjWIAE0Dmt
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 4:20 pm

I could see it. Still time for him in a Bond film. Proper film at that.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Heh, how did I not notice the Jaws thing about Shannon before?
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyThu Aug 08, 2019 12:47 am

Hilly wrote:
...some type like Naismith plays in Goldfinger.

Richard Vernon played Col. Smithers in Goldfinger. Laurence Naismith played Sir Donald Munger in DAF. teacher

(Couldn't resist)  colgate
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyThu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
Hilly wrote:
...some type like Naismith plays in Goldfinger.

Richard Vernon played Col. Smithers in Goldfinger. Laurence Naismith played Sir Donald Munger in DAF.  teacher

(Couldn't resist)  colgate

well played, Hornet, colgate For some reason I had Naismith firmly within GF. Fine sherry all the same. laugh
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyFri Aug 09, 2019 2:52 am

Please, call me AMC - we're all friends here.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Watching I, Confess it made me wonder about the idea of Karl Malden in a Bond film. I imagine as a Felix, by Dr No he'd be 50 -if Cec Linder and Norman Burton can play 'older' Leiter's than Malden would have been an ideal fit. From my memory, he had great chemistry with Connery in Meteor (1979) -well, as great as you could in that film.

Failing that, some sort of CIA agent. I couldn't imagine Malden as a Bond villain.

Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyWed Sep 18, 2019 1:08 am

Hilly wrote:
I couldn't imagine Malden as a Bond villain.

Watching Murderers' Row would give you some idea of how that might have gone.

"Make him! MAKE HIM CRRRACK!"
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyWed Sep 18, 2019 8:19 pm

I might have to. The only films I've seen him in, he's the everyman.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 5:15 am

Billion Dollar Brain has him as a sort of Koskov figure and villain.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Crikey forgot about him being in that. I saw it last year and clean forgot whole parts of it.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" EmptySun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 am

It's Ken Russell so of course it's surreal.
It takes several viewings to get the whole thing down-sort of...such as why is Harry in the midst of a Texan hoedown or a snowy hut filled with Beatle obsessed kids? (The latter is a cut sadly because of rights issues)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Wasn't he in Bond...?"   "Wasn't he in Bond...?" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Wasn't he in Bond...?"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next