More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith Empty
PostSubject: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:13 am

Thought I'd start this up as a weekly or bi-weekly thread, highlighting essential film scores and their composers.

First off the bat is Jerry Goldsmith (1929-2004). Feel free to offer a list of his greatest scores and/or any commentary you have regarding his work.

Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith Goldsmithconducting
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 am

My top ten Goldsmith scores.

- PATTON
- PLANET OF THE APES
- CHINATOWN
- ALIEN
- UNDER FIRE
- PAPILLON
- BASIC INSTINCT
- CAPRICORN ONE
- THE LONELY ARE THE BRAVE
- THE OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT

More to come later, including commentary, documentaries and articles.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Its difficult with Goldsmith, so many great scores but also so varied in style and mood, the top ten rattles around as your own mood changes. He's probably my all time favourite film composer so picking just 10 is tough -

Star Trek - The Motion Picture
Alien
Planet of the Apes
Damien Omen II
Chinatown
Poltergiest
The Omen
Our Man Flint
Air Force One
First Blood
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 7:27 pm

My local video store actually has THE LAST RUN on DVD. I hear it sucks, but I plan to rent it anyway because the score is cool.

As for a favorite? Sorry to bring up Trek, but I love his score for THE MOTION PICTURE. One of my personal favorite film scores. It's just got so much to offer.

Ranking his Trek scores...

1. THE MOTION PICTURE
2. THE FINAL FRONTIER
3. INSURRECTION
4. FIRST CONTACT
5. NEMESIS

I call the movie NEMESHIT, but certainly not his score. It's a slighter effort, but still good. INSURRECTION is better fleshed for me than FIRST CONTACT. FINAL FRONTIER is terrific, but not as iconic as TMP.

Now I'll be a complete asshole and bring up a superhero. I enjoy his Supergirl theme
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm

I like his First Blood theme, the Rambo theme I guess it is overall (The Long Road), all his Trek scores, Patton, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Air Force One and the snippets I've heard of things like Hoosiers and Rudy.

even some TV stuff like the bits he did for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that mysteriously were only used in two episodes of Season 2.

didn't twig he did Kingdom of the Spiders.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith   Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith Empty

Back to top Go down

Film Music Essentials: Jerry Goldsmith
Page 1 of 1