More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Books on Film Music

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

Books on Film Music Empty
PostSubject: Books on Film Music   Books on Film Music EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:47 am

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Books on Film Music   Books on Film Music EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 am

Sounds like a fascinating book.

The last non-fiction book I read was HOT SEAT: THEATER CRITICISM FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES, 1980-1993 by Frank Rich. Great stuff.

Before that was FILM MUSIC: A NEGLECTED ART by Roy M. Prendergast. Some interesting points and ideas, but some of his observations about how cinema functions I found quite questionable.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Books on Film Music   Books on Film Music EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 am

Harmsway wrote:
Before that was FILM MUSIC: A NEGLECTED ART by Roy M. Prendergast. Some interesting points and ideas, but some of his observations about how cinema functions I found quite questionable.

It's a bit of a disappointment. The best book on film scoring's got to be ON THE TRACK: A GUIDE TO CONTEMPORARY FILM SCORING. It's quite technical (lots of reproduced sketches), but very thorough. That said, most of its subjects are from the Silver Age onwards.

You need to get A FIRE AT HEART'S CENTER: THE LIFE AND MUSIC OF BERNARD HERRMANN, Harms. It's a very engaging but ultimately tragic read. Every time I come back to it, I can't help thinking his life would make a great film. Sadly most biopics are fairly lame.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Books on music for cinema...   Books on Film Music EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 am

Maybe the last few film scoring posts posts could be split off into a thread of their own.

Was James Bernard the only composer to win an Oscar for best story?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books on Film Music   Books on Film Music Empty

Back to top Go down

Books on Film Music
Page 1 of 1