More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

DVD/BluRay News

Go down 
+25
Strangways&Quarrel
Tubes
Lazenby.
CJB
j7wild
Seve
Hilly
Loomis
lachesis
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
tiffanywint
HJackson
Jack Wade
Fairbairn-Sykes
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
G section
trevanian
lalala2004
Largo's Shark
colly
FourDot
The White Tuxedo
Control
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Criterion's June Releases:

Black Moon (Malle)
Eclipse Series 27: Raffaello Matarazzo’s Runaway Melodramas
Insignificance (Roeg)
Kiss Me Deadly (Aldrich)
The Makioka Sisters (Ichikawa)
People on Sunday (Robert Siodmak and Edgar G. Ulmer)
Zazie dans le metro (Malle)

http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Kiss Me Deadly and Blow Out, eh? Sounds good. Some Hammer and Argento titles are finally appearing on BluRay as well.

Damn. Maybe I need an all-region thingy after all...

Last edited by ambler on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 am

I am still excited for the release of Taxi Driver on Blu Ray, this April.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

ambler wrote:
Kiss Me Deadly and Blow Out, eh? Sounds good. Some Hammer and Argento titles are finally appearing on BluRay as well.

Damn. Maybe I need an all-region thingy after all...

Just realized that "Blow Out" is going to include "Murder à la Mod" as a bonus feature. Brand new interview with De Palma, too.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
[Brand new interview with De Palma, too.

Excellent. Is he still refusing to do commentaries? Probably the most technically accomplished director on the planet and he won't discuss the way he works. :x
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Yep, still seems to be refusing, unfortunately. He supposedly supervised and approved the new transfer, though. I don't know if it's just a way to get more customers, but it sounds nice.

I guess Arrow is releasing "Obsession" soon, too, but not on Blu-Ray. I imagine it'll just be a rehash of the current DVD for the film.

I imagine you were probably able to catch it on the big screen?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
Obsession ... I imagine you were probably able to catch it on the big screen?

Alas, no. It's one of the films I'd most like to see on a big screen, though. It just never seems to get programmed.

The British Film Institute used to allow members to book a film to show on their birthdays and I tried to get Obsession. I was told there were no copies in the UK. :shock:
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:46 pm

ambler wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Obsession ... I imagine you were probably able to catch it on the big screen?

Alas, no. It's one of the films I'd most like to see on a big screen, though. It just never seems to get programmed.

The British Film Institute used to allow members to book a film to show on their birthdays and I tried to get Obsession. I was told there were no copies in the UK. :shock:

Yeah, they never seem to show it over here, either. I always check the papers and online calendars, but never see much of De Palma being shown. It's usually something like "Scarface", if anything.

And with his name becoming unpopular, I'm afraid it may never happen.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
And with his name becoming unpopular, I'm afraid it may never happen.

You may be right. De Palma somehow managed to alienate his existing fanbase without acquiring another. The same thing happened with John Frankenheimer. Unbelievably strong body of early work in the 1960s yet 20 years later he couldn't get arrested. Now it's as though he never made anything other than The Manchurian Candidate.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm looking forward to the release of INSIGNIFICANCE just for the chance of seeing the film. Like a lot of later Roeg, it may not be very good, but even if it's bad, I suspect it will be bad in a very fascinating way. And, of course, the Criterion release signals the arrival of a few critical essays on the film, which are bound to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Saw you had registered. Glad you're posting. :)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Saw you had registered. Glad you're posting. :)
I'll be around.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 am

http://criterioncast.com/2011/03/17/wacky-criterion-collection-newsletter-drawing-hints-at-stanley-kubricks-the-killing/
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

I'd be impressed if they ever did Fear and Desire. Does that thing even exist in a watchable form anymore?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:07 am

FourDot wrote:
I'd be impressed if they ever did Fear and Desire. Does that thing even exist in a watchable form anymore?
Yeah. I've seen it.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 am

Just when I was hoping to go on a DVD buying embargo - Bounty releases some cheap versions of films I've been wanting cheap copies of for ages. Including:

DVD/BluRay News 41300683071219

DVD/BluRay News 41300681239508

Theyve also released BOY ON A DOLPHIN amongst others - but only a 4:3 letterbox transfer it seems.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Nicholas Blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-of-Kings-Blu-ray/18904/#Review
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:09 pm

FourDot wrote:
Nicholas Blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-of-Kings-Blu-ray/18904/#Review
Eh, KING OF KINGS is not one of Ray's better pictures.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:07 am

Arkadin wrote:
FourDot wrote:
Eh, KING OF KINGS is not one of Ray's better pictures.

It's the Sunday school depiction of Christ, and the sets look even more cardboardy in Blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 am

Truth be told, we don't have many good Jesus films.

I wish Dreyer had been able to make his version.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am

What do you make of Pasolini's THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

Sharky wrote:
Awesome film. And I'm on the record as digging LAST TEMPTATION, too. I've never seen another Jesus film besides those two that really impressed me. There are some that are okay--Zeffirelli's JESUS OF NAZARETH has some value--but none that really deliver.
Back to top Go down
lalala2004
'R'
'R'
lalala2004

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Arkadin wrote:
Sharky wrote:
Awesome film. And I'm on the record as digging LAST TEMPTATION, too. I've never seen another Jesus film besides those two that really impressed me. There are some that are okay--Zeffirelli's JESUS OF NAZARETH has some value--but none that really deliver.

I'm going to probably surprise some people and say I actually enjoy JESUS CHRIST: SUPERSTAR. Yeah, it's a cheesy musical, but it does have some merit. I guess I went in to it thinking it was going to be weird and sacrilegious, but it really wasn't too bad....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR has camp value, but I don't think you can take it too seriously.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 am

Arkadin wrote:
Truth be told, we don't have many good Jesus films.

I wish Dreyer had been able to make his version.

I wish Verhoeven would have made his ... as a longtime scholar of the era, he probably would have balanced his sado-masochistic tendencies with a spiritual approach, as opposed to (from what little I've seen) the snuff film angle in the Gibson movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DVD/BluRay News Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News Empty

Back to top Go down

DVD/BluRay News
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next