More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Green Lantern is gay

Go down 
+2
Tubes
Gravity's Silhouette
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Green Lantern is gay Empty
PostSubject: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:46 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/green-lantern-relaunched-brave-mighty-gay-070052544.html

Okay, I lied about Aqua-Man coming out, but it can't be far behind. Same with Robin/Nightwing. And eventually 007 will come out as well. I also have my suspicions about Zan and Jayne from The Wonder Twins.

Bottom line: this is just another cynical attempt at pandering to groups of people for things that are based upon anything other than the content of their character. Want to make Spider-Man edgy? Make him half Puerto-Rican and half-black. Want to reboot Green Lantern? Make him gay. Since skin color and sexuality are allegedly traits embedded in our DNA, why are we as a society so fixated on who someone is sleeping with or what skin tone they have?

Instead of trying to create new superheroes that are interesting and just happen to be black or gay, these lazy comic producers simply piggy-back onto the work and achievements of all those who have gone before. They're not creating anything new or unique. But this won't be the end of it. Soon Green Lantern will be fighting evil villains who want to oppose gay marriage :roll:

I'm old enough to remember when being gay was an "alternative lifestyle". What is it the alternative to anymore?
Back to top Go down
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:26 pm

Just so everyone knows, this is a parallel universe Green Lantern. And considering how many beings are in the Green Lantern Corps, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Maybe a more appropriate title would be "A Green Lantern is Gay", but that wouldn't make headlines, nor provoke such a strong knee jerk reaction out of people.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Yeah, the Green Lantern in question is the Golden Age 1940s Green Lantern who hasn't starred in his own comic in 60 years and currently exists only in a parallel universe.

He's not the Green Lantern that was in the movie, he's not the Green Lantern starring in the comics currently, he's not even a Green Lantern who's been in one of the cartoons. He's maybe the fifth most important human Green Lantern character (out of five).

So yeah, I would say this is entirely DC pandering to the media for attention. "Look! We made one of our characters gay! One that was entirely expendable and wasn't going to affect anyone, but still! Look at us!"
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Both Marvel and DC have alternate universes where the abnormal can happen.

My personal favourite is the Marvel MAX line, followed by the Ultimate line...

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:39 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

He's not the Green Lantern that was in the movie

Thank God for that.

Quote :
he's not the Green Lantern starring in the comics currently, he's not even a Green Lantern who's been in one of the cartoons. He's maybe the fifth most important human Green Lantern character (out of five).

So yeah, I would say this is entirely DC pandering to the media for attention. "Look! We made one of our characters gay! One that was entirely expendable and wasn't going to affect anyone, but still! Look at us!"

I would have had more respect for the decision if DC had just done it without any fanfare. By calling attention to it, they undercut their claim that a person's sexuality shouldn't be called to attention or singled out as anything odd or out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 am

Ryan Reynolds? Not surprised.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Louis Armstrong wrote:
Ryan Reynolds? Not surprised.

laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Lantern is gay   Green Lantern is gay Empty

Back to top Go down

Green Lantern is gay
Page 1 of 1