More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point

Go down 
+14
Triviachamp
Makeshift Python
GeneralGogol
j7wild
trevanian
MBalje
Perilagu Khan
Prisoner Monkeys
Control
Harmsway
bondfan06
saint mark
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point Empty
PostSubject: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:17 am

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10220&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quote :
The "Batman Begins" and "Inception" director is a popular contender for directing 007.

In a recent interview Nolan mentioned his interest in directing a Bond film again.

"It would have to be the right situation and the right time in their cycle of things," he said.

He also is known to be a fan of the franchise and take a leaf from the early James Bond films - namely the Ski finale to Inception, which was heavily inspired by OHMSS.

In the past Nolan has told the media he plunders ruthlessly from the Bond franchise.

The director is even rumoured to have met the Bond producers about the possibility of helming a future 007 adventure.
No surprise here, but I don't recall him ever saying outright that he wanted to direct one.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 am

Please Dog no.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 am

:ile QT he would be poisoning the well.

So I'd rather see both gentleman at a respectfull distance of the 007 franchise.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 am

Yeah. I dunno.

He seems to know Bond pretty well, but I'm a bit concerned a Nolan Bond film would be a little too dour.

Might all be hypothetical anyway, as I'm not sure EON would give him the power he would want.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 am

I wouldn't mind Nolan directing Bond as long as it doesn't feature the same themes as his Batman films
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:51 am

All of his films have the same theme. It's called "look at what a clever sod I am."
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 am

I'd rather Nolan just create his own spy franchise. There are a few lying around that he could remake/reboot, even if he didn't want to make his own, which no doubt he knows, since he was looking at adapting THE PRISONER into a film at one point.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 3:02 am

Harmsway wrote:
I'd rather Nolan just create his own spy franchise.

That'd be a lot more interesting.

Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 am

Control wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
He's already laid the groundwork for it. It's called INCEPTION. Although any spy series spinning out of it would have to stand on its own. Maybe as a PROMETHEUS-style pre-side-quel, revolving around attempts to stop dream technology from falling into the wrong hands.

Anyway, I myself would not mind Nolan directing Bond. I think he's an excellent director, and he gets a lot of popular hate that he doesn't really deserve. He's a bit like Ken Block - his early work was innovative and new, but once he started gathering a following, a lot of his original fans turned on him and it became trendy to hate him.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:59 am

Nolan should try rally driving. He'd probably be better at it.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am

Better than Block?

Almost certainly. This is the standard Nolan would have to beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0YvFhYzrE

I think Nolan is a lot like James Cameron - his films are always a technical showcase, though he does have some interesting thematic ideas. I'd be happy for him to direct Bond, though I think I would want someone else writing the film.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 am

Their films are impressive in terms of special effects and scale, but in terms of the art and craft of direction (framing, camerawork, lighting, editing) they're nothing special. They get the job done and look reasonable slick, but there's not much flair.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
They get the job done and look reasonable slick, but there's not much flair.
Nolan insists on using practical effects over CGI at every opportunity. There's only one second of CGI that I can recall in THE DARK KNIGHT, and that's when the batpod is ejected from the Tumbler. And even then, they only used CGI when Nathan Crowley couldn't make it work for real.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Control wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
He's already laid the groundwork for it. It's called INCEPTION. Although any spy series spinning out of it would have to stand on its own. Maybe as a PROMETHEUS-style pre-side-quel, revolving around attempts to stop dream technology from falling into the wrong hands.

He's got a lot of work to do if that was the "groundwork" for a spy franchise.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Any competent director who genuinely reveres the Bond series deserves serious consideration, IMO. Hollywood's cultural rot almost guarantees that a good 90% of postmodern directors (Forster, I'm looking at you!), will try to subvert Bond by infusing the film with his own anti-Bond agenda. With Nolan, apparently, that wouldn't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 2:16 pm

There's a difference between revering and understanding Bond. Nolan I suspect is of the former.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't see anything that would lead me to believe he doesn't understand Bond. Not saying he does, just saying there's nothing to say he doesn't.

I'd take Nolan over a lot of big-name directors. He needs to work on his action pieces first, though.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
There's a difference between revering and understanding Bond. Nolan I suspect is of the former.

Why?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Why?

Based on his "tribute" to OHMSS in INCEPTION being nothing more than an extended videogame level.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 pm

No.

TDK mis action and humor. Batman Begins is better, stil i think it mis some entertainment to think he should do a Bond movie. If Nolan whant to make a change he should get more experience in other gerne's or at entertainment/humor to his thriller gerne (step a side from style like he did for Batman, The Prestige & Inception.) and mabey consider to work with other crew/cast members. Wally Pfister his cinematographer is not a problem to have to work on Bond, he also did The Italian Job who is uncredit written by Pervis and Wade. For example why not direct The Thomas Crown Afair 2 or Salt 2.

Also i don't whant Hans Zimmer and iam a fan of his music.

For DAD Eon try to make another Mi2, there hired the wrong editor and should have ask Stuard Baid (uncredit on Mi2 and finaly ask for CR and Skyfall) in the first place. If there ask Hans Zimmer it be another thing there try to get from Mi2.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
They get the job done and look reasonable slick, but there's not much flair.
Nolan insists on using practical effects over CGI at every opportunity. There's only one second of CGI that I can recall in THE DARK KNIGHT, and that's when the batpod is ejected from the Tumbler. And even then, they only used CGI when Nathan Crowley couldn't make it work for real.

That's one of the reasons he'd be a good choice for Bond (plus they'd be shooting on film again.)

However much I like/love most Nolan films, however, he does NOT let melody intrude on his movies ... and man, Bond absolutely NEEDS melody.
The distinctive instrumental themes Barry brought to individual Bond films are still worth revisiting, but I don't see anybody in Nolan's camp doing that kind of musical work, or him having inclination to go that way.

However much of a tribute to OHMSS there was in INCEPTION, it doesn't feel like OHMSS, and it wouldn't unless you tracked some Barry over it.

It's weird, I just went over to the HDVIDEO PRO website and looked at my old Nolan/Pfister interview. There is no reference to Bond in there. I'm almost certain I mentioned Bond, or he did. Gonna have to go find the transcript now. If there's anything relevant, I'll come back and post it.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 am

Nolan's probably the best blockbuster director working today.

EON could go with someone far worse for Bond 24.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 am

Can someone post a list of the "blockbuster directors" in Hollywood right now.? There's got to be someone better. laugh
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 2:22 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Can someone post a list of the "blockbuster directors" in Hollywood right now.? There's got to be someone better. laugh
J.J. Abrams
Michael Bay
Brad Bird
James Cameron
Jon Favreau
Ron Howard
Peter Jackson
Brett Ratner
Guy Ritchie
Steven Spielberg
Gore Verbinski
David Yates
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 am

Jackson or Spielberg would be interesting.

I've always wanted to see that "James Bond vs. Velociraptors" concept come to life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point   Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point Empty

Back to top Go down

Director Christopher Nolan keen to direct Bond at some point
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next