More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Directors who should just call it quit!

Go down 
+7
trevanian
MBalje
Largo's Shark
Makeshift Python
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Control
j7wild
11 posters
AuthorMessage
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Directors who should just call it quit! Empty
PostSubject: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 am

These directors were at one time geniuses, making ground breaking films and now they are just churning out crap for a long while now.

I think they should roll over and give it up and get the heck out of the movie business.

Let me start with 5 names:

John Carpenter: the last decent, NOT good, movie he made, IMO, was in 1988 with They Live;

the last good movie he made, IMO, was in 1986 with Big Trouble In Little China.

Brian De Palma: the last good movie he made, IMO, was in 1989 with Casualties of War.

Roland Emmerich: he hasn't made a good movie or a decent movie since... actually, he had never made a good movie or a decent movie.

Why is he allowed to even make movies?

Barbet Schroeder: who hasn't made a decent, NOT good, movie since Single White Female in 1992.

Finally, someone is going to disagree with this next name:

Tim Burton: what is his problem?

He started out so well and for the last 20 years, he's been cranking out pretty much the same genre and why did 7 of those 10 films have to star Johnny Depp?

I bet you Tim and Johnny are secret gay lovers!!

That is why Johnny is always in Tim's movies!!

Johnny does act gay; watch every movie he's been in in the past 20 years and you can see he is as gay as a $3 bill!

His character Jack Sparrow couldn't be gayer without him even trying.

Johnny Depp is also one of the most over-rated and worst actor EVER, EVER!

He should not even be allowed to work!

The Pirates of the Caribbean films are over-hyped, noisy, convoluted, pieces of horse manure and all those people who paid money to see them and made them big box office blockbusters: shame on you!

Depp's best movie role is still when his character got eviscerated in A Nightmare On Elm Street and he should had taken a hint from it and stayed dead!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 am

j7wild wrote:
Brian De Palma: the last good movie he made, IMO, was in 1989 with Casualties of War.

Nah, I hope he makes films right until the very end.

The truly worthless directors like George Lucas, Brett Ratner, Tyler Petty, Steve McQueen, Bob Rodriguez, and Eli Roth need to take a hike. Directors like that drain the art form with their lack of creativity and half-assed agendas.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:49 am

Don't forget Oliver Stone and Steven Soderbergh!!

I am not a fan of the Ocean's film;

I don't care how many big name stars you pile in those films.

They are just boring and repetitious to me.

p.s. I never seen the Girlfriend Experience.

Contrary to the popular beliefs of many BAB members, I don't run out and watch every movie that contains even the slightest hint of T&A!!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 am

I agree about Stone. He used to make good films. I don't know what happened.

I don't mind Soderbergh. The OCEAN'S films aren't mind-blowing, by any means, but I always had fun with them and thought they were done well for being money-makers. He's got a handful of great films under his belt and might still have potential to make another.

Zemeckis is another one who should consider pulling the plug on his filmmaking career.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am

Then there is Uwe Boll....

laugh
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 am

Michael Bay. Absolute waste of electricity.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 am

j7wild wrote:

p.s. I never seen the Girlfriend Experience.

Shame on you. :evil:
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:15 am

Soderbergh's a hack. Plain and simple. Never made a decent film in his life.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Robert Zemeckis is a directer who can have direct much more movies like Chris Columbus.

I have 6 movies from him and 4 of those i have seen. Also i have seen Cast Away. From Contact or Forrest Gump i can't remember of i ever seen them/long a go.
Back To The Future movies and Cast a Way be the mnovies he did.

Chris Columbus is like Tim Burton and Danny Elfman belongs to the i give up after 2 movies in a franchise.

In style of Tim Burton you can say the same about Christopher Nolan should quite with asking Michael Caine in to his movies. TDK whasn't so good. I try to get Michael Cain and Christian Bale out of my head first from TDK before i can see The Prestige.

Directer's who not make movies in my taste or are the edge i ignore them or for a part.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:

I love everything about THE LIMEY and was very pleasantly surprised with OUT OF SIGHT (kinda wish there was a sequel to the latter so we could have a Clooney/Jackson buddy flick.)

Enjoyed HAYWIRE and CONTAGION, still want to see THE GOOD GERMAN sometime and would watch TRAFFIC again if I could dial out its visual excesses.

I love the vfx, which contrasts nicely with the utiliarian design, on his SOLARIS, but think the longer unseen cut of that film would cause a serious reassessment (I'd pay to see the longer version just for the docking scene early on, which is supposed to be twice as long according to commentary.)

Don't think I've seen any of his others all the way through, though I tried with SEX LIES, with KAFKA, with ERIN and one of the OCEAN movies. Didn't last a half-hour on any of them. Guess that blows the auteur theory out of the water yet again.

I'd say Paul Anderson (not PT) has no business making movies. The money pissed away on EVENT HORIZON -- which, granted, has terrific visual effects and gorgeous production design -- could have bought Paramount a whole year or more of an SF TV series (they spent more on EH than on ANY of the Trek films prior to Abrams - and that's with cutting the budget so EH had its whole 'establish the characters while doing an exciting action open' beginning wasn't ever filmed.)

And based on Super8 and AbramsTrek09, I don't think JJ has any business directing movies either. Haven't seen anything else he directed or created, though.

Last edited by trevanian on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I bought the Ocean trilogy on Blu-ray for 20 bucks last Christmas. Stupid, stupid impulse buy. I watched them out of stubborness, but they were sheer torture to me. Especially the second one. Oddly, I found the third one at least watchable. So I say you could try the third one.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Go for the Gould.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:48 pm

This thread is extremely enlightening; before it, I had no idea that counterfeit currency had a particular sexual preference.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Control wrote:
Go for the Gould.

Gonna be watching CALIFORNIA SPLIT soon, by a director I wish hadn't quit.

Directors who should just call it quit! Califo10

Gould, Segal, Altman. Word.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Steven Daldry. We've suffered enough.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 pm

trevanian wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

I love everything about THE LIMEY and was very pleasantly surprised with OUT OF SIGHT (kinda wish there was a sequel to the latter so we could have a Clooney/Jackson buddy flick.)

Enjoyed HAYWIRE and CONTAGION, still want to see THE GOOD GERMAN sometime and would watch TRAFFIC again if I could dial out its visual excesses.

I was disappointed by HAYWIRE, which wastes a heavyweight supporting cast on a story that's like a scribbled-on-the-back-of-a-napkin blend of Bourne and KILL BILL and doesn't even offer the sort of exciting action scenes that one might have expected.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 am

I liked HAYWIRE more than any of the Bourne flicks.

But yes, its story is über-flimsy.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 am

One of my main problems with HAYWIRE was that I didn't find its protagonist in any way sympathetic or engaging. We're invited to take her side more or less purely because she was betrayed by her colleagues. That's it. I don't see any reason to root for her. She's no better or more interesting than anyone else in the film. She's not out to make the world a better place, but merely to get her own back against a bunch of spy movie ciphers.

At least in KILL BILL, while The Bride shows herself to be a pretty heartless individual in many ways, Tarantino's heroine isn't only out for revenge but also wants to care for her daughter. Also, Tarantino crams the KILL BILL saga with memorable characters and great moments and drenches the whole thing in directorial virtuosity. I don't see much in HAYWIRE but an empty shell of a movie.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 am

I can't really argue with your response; there are no characters to care about in HAYWIRE, and the story is so flimsy that it seems an afterthought. What I admired about HAYWIRE was its style.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Control wrote:
Go for the Gould.

Gonna be watching CALIFORNIA SPLIT soon, by a director I wish hadn't quit.

Directors who should just call it quit! Califo10

Gould, Segal, Altman. Word.

Great, underrated Altman film.

I blame Elliott Gould for my desire to start smoking again.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

George Segal is an underrated badass. Wish his career had fared better in the late 70s and beyond.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
George Segal is an underrated badass. Wish his career had fared better in the late 70s and beyond.

Has anybody here ever seen THE BLACKBIRD, with Segal as Bogart from MALTESE's son? Many consider it to be the most offensive and awful comedy ever made, but since I saw it long before I saw MALTESE, I remember laughing my 14 year old ass off. Pretty lowbrow stuff considering David Giler wrote it, but moments like hearing "Get up Spade" in a jail cell full of black guys and Segal -- with the command directed at him -- made it all worthwhile. That plus a convertible with bad parking brakes that is able to make right hand turns safely at the bottom of San Francisco hills ... even when nobody is driving it.

Plus Felix Silla as a Nazi in full regalia is a powerful image ... especially when he is climbing into bed with that Stephane woman from the Bunuel flick.

I think if Segal hadn't bailed on SILVER STREAK his career would have been ENTIRELY different. Also, even though I very much enjoy SILVER STREAK and have seen it many times, that is in spite of Gene Wilder, who with that hair never is easy to take ... he and Dick Shawn and Kennerth Mars personify the 'way too much to be funny' in a lot of things (YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN being the exception.)

Segal in SILVER STREAK would have made a fun movie into something I bought in every video incarnation, instead of something I've settled for catching on broadcast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Directors who should just call it quit!   Directors who should just call it quit! Empty

Back to top Go down

Directors who should just call it quit!
Page 1 of 1