These forums may contain mild adult content and are not associated with EON, Sony or any other companies and do not reflect their views.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 The great directors' most disappointing films

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 4996
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:01 am

All the great directors have made stinkers.

I'll open the batting with David Lynch's Lost Highway.

It has its moments, but I'd say 130 minutes of it are stylish pap. However, as usual with these things, there's no consensus. I think 'Fire Walk With Me' is excellent, but there are a lot of angry 'Twin Peaks' fans out there.

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
All the great directors have made stinkers.

I'll open the batting with David Lynch's Lost Highway.

It has its moments, but I'd say 130 minutes of it are stylish pap. However, as usual with these things, there's no consensus. I think 'Fire Walk With Me' is excellent, but there are a lot of angry 'Twin Peaks' fans out there.
Lost Highway doesn't work for me, either, though I'd rather watch it than Inland Empire. Lynch greatly improved on Lost Highway's structural gambit with Mulholland Drive.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2808
Member Since : 2011-03-28
Location : I don't know what things will be like in 4 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 am

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars sucks more ass than an enema.

And then there's 1941 by Spielberg... blink
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 4996
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:42 am

I've a soft spot for Inland Empire as it's the only film I've seen that's made me literally vomit. That's got to mean something. Don't think I'll see it again anytime soon, though...

Ghosts of Mars has a terrible rep, but isn't that bad. Definitely not classic Carpenter, but the good cast and cardboard sets appeal to the B-movie fan in me.

Not seen 1941 and have no intention of doing so.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:55 am

Ghost of Mars has its defenders, but I can't really say much for it. Even on a B-movie level, I don't think it has much to offer. It feels more authentically Carpenter-ian than The Ward, though.

Francis Ford Coppola's worst has to be Jack. I'm glad he's gotten away from the studios entirely. His small, idiosyncratic films from the past decade comprise my favorite Coppola run.

Scorsese's worst? Probably New York, New York, though I still find it more interesting on a conceptual level than a lot of the studio pictures he's done over the past decade.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:09 am

For Hitchcock it's got to be TOPAZ. Sluggish is the word I'd choose to describe it.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2075
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:15 am

De Palma's "Femme Fatale" was a disappointment when I first saw it, though I remember thinking somewhat more kindly of it when I re-watched it a couple of years ago.

For Coppola, it's clearly "Jack".

I would also list "Ghosts of Mars" for Carpenter.
I have yet to see "The Ward", so I don't know if that is any better.

Samuel Fuller: "White Dog".

Fritz Lang: Journey to the Lost city

Jules Dassin: Circle of Two

Back to top Go down
Hilly KCMG
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 5250
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : powerless

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:49 am

whether or not he counts as a great director, Terence Young's Inchon
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 4996
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 am

Of course, there are different types of disappointment. Kubrick's Lolita is a dreadful caricature of a superb novel, but it's hard to see how it could be anything else given its subject matter and when and where it was made. Does that make it less of a disappointment? Perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:13 am

Salomé wrote:
De Palma's "Femme Fatale" was a disappointment when I first saw it, though I remember thinking somewhat more kindly of it when I re-watched it a couple of years ago.
Femme Fatale is a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Of course, there are different types of disappointment. Kubrick's Lolita is a dreadful caricature of a superb novel, but it's hard to see how it could be anything else given its subject matter and when and where it was made. Does that make it less of a disappointment? Perhaps.
Kubrick's Lolita at least preserves something of Nabokov's comic sensibility.

Neither film adaptation measures up to Nabokov's brilliant screenplay for Lolita.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
For Hitchcock it's got to be TOPAZ. Sluggish is the word I'd choose to describe it.

Yep. Quite the piece of shit, unfortunately.

Some others:

David Lean's SUMMERTIME
Don Siegel's PRIVATE HELL 36
Roman Polanski's OLIVER TWIST
Brian De Palma's SCARFACE (No, BODY DOUBLE is not his worst film.)
Francois Truffaut's FAHRENHEIT 451
Martin Scrosese's GANGS OF NEW YORK
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 10600
Member Since : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Brian De Palma's worst film is REDACTED, closely followed by THE BLACK DAHLIA. I've had a reappraisal on that one.

Ken Russell's SALOME'S LAST DANCE
John Schlesinger's HONKY TONK FREEWAY
Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN
Fred Zinnemann's FIVE DAY'S ONE SUMMER
Robert Altman's POPEYE
John Huston's ANNIE
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Control wrote:
Brian De Palma's SCARFACE (No, BODY DOUBLE is not his worst film.)
Isn't Body Double generally regarded as one of De Palma's better films? It certainly doesn't have the bad rap that Mission to Mars or Black Dahlia do.

Control wrote:
Martin Scrosese's GANGS OF NEW YORK
I like Gangs more than any of the Scorsese films that followed it, excluding the terrific Wolf of Wall Street.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2808
Member Since : 2011-03-28
Location : I don't know what things will be like in 4 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Salomé wrote:
De Palma's "Femme Fatale" was a disappointment when I first saw it, though I remember thinking somewhat more kindly of it when I re-watched it a couple of years ago.
Femme Fatale is a masterpiece.

A femme friend of mine dared me to try that scene with Rebecca Romijn and Rie, the Gucci girl at the time. And my pal was better looking too.

No one stole my jewellery tho. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
FieldsMan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 3713
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Piz Gloria

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Never understood the hate for Gangs of New York. Would say Hugo is probably Scorsese's weakest film - though I have yet to see some of his early early stuff.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2808
Member Since : 2011-03-28
Location : I don't know what things will be like in 4 years. I don't have 2020 vision.

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:29 pm

I'm not sure if Marc Foster is great but Quanturd of Solace was a trip to the loo.
Back to top Go down
Control
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 5137
Member Since : 2010-05-13
Location : Slumber, Inc.

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Control wrote:
Brian De Palma's SCARFACE (No, BODY DOUBLE is not his worst film.)
Isn't Body Double generally regarded as one of De Palma's better films? It certainly doesn't have the bad rap that Mission to Mars or Black Dahlia do.

Modern audiences would call it trash, probably because it's not serious enough.

I contemplate throwing it on my top 10 list. I love watching it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 6800
Member Since : 2011-03-14
Location : Up

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
whether or not he counts as a great director, Terence Young's Inchon

Wish I could actually see it properly. All I've come across is a recording of a pan-and-scan TV airing that happened on one of the channels that was owned by the company that holds the rights.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2075
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Salomé wrote:
De Palma's "Femme Fatale" was a disappointment when I first saw it, though I remember thinking somewhat more kindly of it when I re-watched it a couple of years ago.
Femme Fatale is a masterpiece.

I would respectfully disagree.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2075
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Control wrote:
Harmsway wrote:
Control wrote:
Brian De Palma's SCARFACE (No, BODY DOUBLE is not his worst film.)
Isn't Body Double generally regarded as one of De Palma's better films? It certainly doesn't have the bad rap that Mission to Mars or Black Dahlia do.

Modern audiences would call it trash, probably because it's not serious enough.

I contemplate throwing it on my top 10 list. I love watching it.

"Body Double" used some of the same ironic casting choices for which Verhoeven was praised a little over a decade later (Starship Troopers).
Like with Troopers, a lot of people obviously missed the joke at the time.
Back to top Go down
Erica Ambler
Chief Executive
Chief Executive


Posts : 4996
Member Since : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Michael Powell's stinker is The Queen's Guards. Forget the know-nothing bullshit about how Peeping Tom destroyed his career. Powell just didn't make any good films after that. Although 'Age of Consent' features a young Helen Mirren skinny-dipping.

De Palma's turd is Wise Guys. I can only assume none of you have seen it.

Hitchcock made plenty worse than Topaz, most of them long forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2075
Member Since : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Michael Powell's stinker is The Queen's Guards. Forget the know-nothing bullshit about how Peeping Tom destroyed his career. Powell just didn't make any good films after that. Although 'Age of Consent' features a young Helen Mirren skinny-dipping.

De Palma's turd is Wise Guys. I can only assume none of you have seen it.

Hitchcock made plenty worse than Topaz, most of them long forgotten.

Any examples? I have to say I enjoy a lot of his less-heralded early Hollywood features.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
avatar

Posts : 2801
Member Since : 2011-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:54 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
De Palma's turd is Wise Guys. I can only assume none of you have seen it.
I have. Eeesh. Get to Know Your Rabbit is terrible, too.
Back to top Go down
Xenia93
Experienced Correspondent
Experienced Correspondent
avatar

Posts : 247
Member Since : 2013-04-18
Location : The Disco Volante

PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:15 am

For Marty I gotta' say HUGO as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The great directors' most disappointing films   

Back to top Go down
 
The great directors' most disappointing films
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Film News & Film Discussion-
Jump to: