More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Haphazard Bond Observations

Go down 
+5
CJB
AMC Hornet
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Perilagu Khan
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Haphazard Bond Observations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haphazard Bond Observations   Haphazard Bond Observations - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
trevanian wrote:
AMC Hornet wrote:
trevanian wrote:

Ben Bova's STARS, WON'T YOU HIDE ME? (relating vaguely to Bond through 6 degrees of Pierce Brosnan, because the short story is punctuated by passages from the folk song 'Sinner Man,' utilized to strikingly different effect in THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR.)
The song evokes Pierce Brosnan for you, but not Steve McQueen?

Not a fan of his acting, and certainly not of him personally (trying to shoot an apple off his dog's head and instead blowing the dog's head off? Yeah, I'd really want to get behind THAT guy.)

What don't you like about his acting? I'm asking, because I find this more interesting than going off on some tangent about his private life. McQueen was a strange, lonely guy, but that's neither here nor there.

Sorry, only just saw this. I just find his acting to be a pretty practiced routine. That's true of a lot of persona actors, but I get a lot more out of Heston (even in disaster movie era Heston) than I do McQueen. Part of it is that he comes off like Shatner in a certain way -- there's a self-aware aspect to his acting that interferes with me just buying into it. And to show that this isn't just a bias against a type of performer, I think Gregory Peck was often guilty of it as well. But McQueen doesn't have a TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD to offset that feeling ... only ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, and sadly, I just can't get past his look in that to actually try to appreciate the movie.
Back to top Go down

Haphazard Bond Observations
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2