More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed Empty
PostSubject: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 pm

There is an excellent reassessment of The Spy Who Loved Me in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/26/when-ian-fleming-tried-to-escape-james-bond#start-of-comments

Interesting to see this most despised of Fleming's novels getting a more sympathetic treatment.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Definitely a good appraisal. Thanks for that, Ambler. It always seems the one of the Bond books to be glossed over and put to the bottom of the list. It's almost as though the creator of James Bond shouldn't be allowed to create a character like that and be a good writer, but Fleming was a good writer. Short sentences that packed a punch, plots obviously written with a very visual sense of what is going on, great description and scene setting, and brilliant pace. Looking at Fleming in a purely mechanical sense, he was a bloody good writer.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

That was Fleming's Reuters background: the house style was keep the sentences short and make the words matter.

One reason why sub-editors often become successful thriller writers is that they recognise less is more.

Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

A really good review. Good find Ambler. I am starting up TSWLM right now. Havent read it in ages but I always appreciated the experiment.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I've always thought Spy is as well-written as any of Fleming's novels. The description of the storm that falls upon Dreamy Pines Motor Court is brilliant. And Sluggsy Morant is one of Fleming's greatest creations. Incidentally, somebody named their racehorse Sluggsy Morant.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I've been plotting a Mills and Boons novel for a friend and she commented how well The Spy Who Loved Me conformed to the accepted M&B template. Probably not the recommendation Fleming would have wanted. :)
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

For a long time I have had a fascination with the "ordinary people" who inhabit fantastic fictional universes. The construction crews who have to clean up after a Godzilla attack, the bystanders in a superhero battle, etc. I always wanted to do a movie about the trials and tribulations of an ordinary guy who when driving to work one day gets completely totalled by a sudden passing action movie chase scene.

For these reasons SPY and its unique structure have a definite appeal.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for making this available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed   The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed Empty

Back to top Go down

The Spy Who Loved Me Reassessed
Page 1 of 1