More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0

Go down 
+47
G section
Bond Fan 90
Hilly
SarahN
Full Monty Norman
hegottheboot
Agent OO7
Makeshift Python
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
boldfinger
Prisoner Monkeys
Carruthers
Dr No
Fort Knox
General Yuskovich
retrokitty
Toppers
Fairbairn-Sykes
Moore
GreatKenji
Control
Perilagu Khan
Walecs
Mr Bond
00Beast
Drax
Chief of SIS
Manhunter
Seve
CJB
Lazenby.
Paula007
The White Tuxedo
saint mark
bitchcraft
Largo's Shark
trevanian
Salomé
Vesper
James. C
tiffanywint
GeneralGogol
lachesis
Tubes
Loomis
Harmsway
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 2:30 pm

#21 - Diamonds Are Forever
Hmmm… I'm not sure about this one anymore… Some great dialogue that's for sure, a top notch score from Barry, performances generally quite good all round, some nice cinematography (the Mustang chase is captured perfectly, aside from the goof at the end) - so there is definitely a lot to enjoy. However, I just didn't have that much fun watching it this time round - so much so I want to put in dead last on my list for 2015. I really like Tiff though; gorgeous and sassy and Jill St. John did a great job with her. Plot holes and pacing issues can't be ignored though...
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 1:02 am

I've seen it defended as 'Bond as camply absurdist black comedy' elsewhere around here, but the last time I watched it I thought it was mostly half-assed ... the elevator fight is the single stand-out action sequence, for example. The Vegas car chase and the later moon-buggy chase are pretty bloody dull.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 9:05 am

DAF is played as a farce, and I can understand why that wouldn't appeal to some fans.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 9:23 am

"Camply absurdist black comedy" is a good way to put it.

I think the blatant un-PCness of DAF is part of what gives it its charm 42 years on.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 10:03 am

CJB wrote:

I think the blatant un-PCness of DAF is part of what gives it its charm 42 years on.

That aspect is great, and like I said, there is a lot to like about it, but most other Bond films have a whole lot more going for it.

Blunt Instrument wrote:
the elevator fight is the single stand-out action sequence, for example. The Vegas car chase and the later moon-buggy chase are pretty bloody dull.

The elevator fight is a solid effort, but even then, some parts look so staged. The fights with Red Grant, Alec and Patrice are so much more exciting, purely because they look more convincing.

I love the camera work in the Vegas chase which is why I like it, particularly the tracking shots when the Mustang swings in and out of traffic.
Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 11:38 pm

I find with some Bond films my opinion on where they rank can go up and down with different viewings. Sometimes one time I watch one and enjoy it thoroughly another I find something rubs me the wrong way but might not even feel the same way when I view it again much later. YOLT is one for instance I'm up and down on. One viewing can be very pleasant admiring Ken Adam's set design and the epic fights at the docks and the raid on the Volcano lair but then another viewing I find myself thinking about the book's garden of death and how much more chilling Blofeld was in the book.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Traditionally I would criticise DAF for having cheap production values and a bored Connery, however on my last few viewings (most recently with the excellent blu ray) transformed the look of the film, the gaudy 70's are still evident but otherwise this production stands tall, likewise the dialogue and Connery are a constant joy a relentlessly cool, yet by turn steely, performance probably well up among his best. Definitely upper half on the Bonds to me now and on the rise as its immediate successors LALD and TMWTGG all but collapse..
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 4:39 pm

The whole myth of Connery being bored in DAF is so strange. I have to assume that became a thing just because of the then record breaking paycheck he got and the connotations of a "paycheck role", even though he donated all of that to Scotland education, so it wasn't greed.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 7:21 pm

People say it's also apparent in YOLT, must say I've never noticed.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 9:28 pm

If Connery's bored in DAF than I'd like to know what Brosnan was doing in his films.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 12:37 am

lachesis wrote:
Traditionally I would criticise DAF for having cheap production values and a bored Connery, however on my last few viewings (most recently with the excellent blu ray) transformed the look of the film, the gaudy 70's are still evident but otherwise this production stands tall, likewise the dialogue and Connery are a constant joy a relentlessly cool, yet by turn steely, performance probably well up among his best. Definitely upper half on the Bonds to me now and on the rise as its immediate successors LALD and TMWTGG all but collapse..

I must get me the blu-ray then because I just watched Live and Let Die and thought it was put together much more effectively than DAF - and LALD used to be dead last on my ranking. I never realised how colourful this was! Jane Seymour is a babe and her character grew on me a lot this time round. Kananga, Tee Hee and Baron Samedi are an intriguing trio of villains. The score is great fun as well, and one of my favourite title sequence/title song combos in the series. However, it drags a bit for me, and a lot of screen time could have been shaved in the boat chase, which I still find incredible overrated. Maybe if it was scored it would have galvanized it a bit. The iconic boat jump is over way to quickly for me to enjoy properly, but maybe I'm just not being appreciative enough.

Bond-a-Thon Ranking (2015 Edition)

23. Diamonds Are Forever
22. Moonraker
21. Die Another Day
20. Live And Let Die

Blunt Instrument wrote:
People say it's also apparent in YOLT, must say I've never noticed.

I think it's most noticeable in the scene with Moneypenny. I do see it more in YOLT though. For DAF, I think he's just having fun with the great dialogue and chewing it up.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 am

If Connery was bored, then Lana Wood's tits must've snapped him out of it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 1:33 am

Did The Man With the Golden Gun recently - and I'm glad it came this close to LALD on my list so I can pay tribute to Christopher Lee. He really does make this film; he is a big part of why TMWTGG works, and why Scaramanga is high on my favourite Bond villains list. I've always enjoyed the low-key aspect of this adventure but never really took into consideration Scaramanga's plans with the solex agitator - which in turns heightens the stakes that extra bit. My bro came into watch the last 30 mins with me and asked why Bond and Scaramanga want to kill each other. It was so much better having the solex angle to back it up with! Sure it's not a perfect film, but it's much more exciting than LALD and DAF.

I also really like the dynamic between Bond and Goodnight, which at that time was something different from the previous Bond girls. As we know, Goodnight is bimbo-bastic by the end, which is fine in my book, but would have liked someone a little bit more intelligent. But we've seen this before with Tiffany in DAF. I also think I prefer Maud Adams here than in Octopussy as well. I think Octopussy demanded a stronger actress for the role, plus she's sexier in TMWTGG.

The PTS and subsequent briefing with M got me thinking about how the start could have been done that little bit differently. M explains that no one knows what Scaramanga looks like, but as an audience we saw him in the PTS. I think it could have added some intrigue if we hadn't met Scaramanga till much later, and rework the PTS into it's own mini adventure like the OP or GF PTSs. Then we could have had glimpses of the golden gun from Scaramanga's POV throughout, or even explore the funhouse with the hitman just after the PTS all from Scaramanga's perspective.

I'm rambling. A fun two hours all the same! Rest in peace, Sir Chris.

23. Diamonds Are Forever
22. Moonraker
21. Die Another Day
20. Live And Let Die
21. The Man With The Golden Gun <--
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 5:59 am

I feel the whole Solex agitator plot that Maibaum threw in hurt the film. All the strongest bits do with Scaramanga and him wanting a "duel of titans" and I don't think there's really enough of it. It's even more noticeable that once Scaramanga dies and the film shifts to the Solex stuff, it draaaaags. Badly scripted, I understand it was very rushed. Easily the weakest of Moore's run for me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:52 pm

If the duel for titans angle was elaborated on, yeah it would have worked a treat. However as it stands now, the solex stuff adds another layer which heightens the stakes.

I don't find the stuff after Scaramanga's death to drag as such (though the fight with Nick Nack seems a little tacked on).The thing is though, so much could have been shaved in the edit prior to Bond reaching Scaramanga's island. All the stuff with Lt. Hip's introduction really is pointless - the journey drags and doesn't serve a purpose other than to trick audiences. The reason Hip takes him away straight away is to get him away from local authorities, but once he's in the car, why does he keep Bond hanging? And then Bond jumps off the ferry to get away, and it's where he was supposed to be going, but the ferry doesn't seem to be slowing down.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:52 pm

If the duel for titans angle was elaborated on, yeah it would have worked a treat. However as it stands now, the solex stuff adds another layer which heightens the stakes.

I don't find the stuff after Scaramanga's death to drag as such (though the fight with Nick Nack seems a little tacked on).The thing is though, so much could have been shaved in the edit prior to Bond reaching Scaramanga's island. All the stuff with Lt. Hip's introduction really is pointless - the journey drags and doesn't serve a purpose other than to trick audiences. The reason Hip takes him away straight away is to get him away from local authorities, but once he's in the car, why does he keep Bond hanging? And then Bond jumps off the ferry to get away, and it's where he was supposed to be going, but the ferry doesn't seem to be slowing down.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Not only that but leaving Bond to fend for himself after the karate school fight, meaning Bond hops into a boat just so that we can see the ol' Sheriff.

I remember reading how M seems quite irritable in this film. Almost as if after ten films or so, he's finally had enough. Ha.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Christopher Lee is by far the best thing about TMWTGG, but it is not remotely enough imo, Moore is off, the action never sparks, the plot is a mess, the characters dull and often overtly irksome. It is mentioned as a troubled shoot in the Everything or Nothing documentary and it is all too evident on screen for me, this is a tired series on its final legs....fortunately 'Spy' bucks the trend and finally fits the series to Moore to turns the tide.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 am

A View to a Kill

And now we enter the Bond films that could all be in my top 10.

I didn't enjoy this one as much last year admittedly, but this year it changed back! Classic Bond all the way! Roger Moore turns in his best performance out of the ones I've watched this year (MR, LALD, TMWTGG) and Chris Walken makes Max Zorin one of the best Bond villains up there with Scaramanga. I still back Stacey as one of the great Bond heroines, at least of Moore's era. May Day just could be my favourite Bond henchman and her death scene is a great payoff to a awesome character - she definitely could have been lifted from Fleming.

Aside from some minor gripes i.e. beach boys PTS, lighter comedic moments in truck chase and that grating taxi driver, it was an awesome two hours that breezed by. So much to love - the steeple chase, golden gate bridge fight, city hall scenes, all the stuff at Chantilly - my favourite scene in the film could quite possibly be when Bond meets Stacey and May Day's "someone will take care of you". I really like the amount of detective work Bond does in this as well.

I could go on. I imagine this will end up just outside my top 10 so will climb up a lot!

And where the hell is Maud Adams in this?!!??!?

23. Diamonds Are Forever
22. Moonraker
21. Die Another Day
20. Live And Let Die
21. The Man With The Golden Gun
. A View To A Kill <--
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 11:35 pm

Maud Adams is meant to be in the Fisherman's Wharf scene. And...a cable car. I've seen a few theories. Sort of like the Kennedy assassination.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 am

You see her just after Klaus Hergesheimer passes by. Or am I think of the Kennedy assassination?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 4:20 am

Do you catch a glimpse of her grassy knoll?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm

as a tribute to Patrick Macnee, A View to a Kill

the best bits come when things get a tad serious, or like in FYEO and Octopussy when Moore gets serious. Such as from when Bond sees Tibbett has met his maker and his tone changes with Zorin, his "It's not mutual" or in the office at City Hall.
It's an odd film in a way. Coming off the back of FYEO and OP it slips back into traditional Moore territory, the pithy one-liners, some of which hit and some miss nowadays. It had pointless moments -I think the Paris scene from the butterfly cafe down to the river crash is needless. Must've been a different way of finding out about Zorin than crash about Paris like an idiot.

Walken is genius, his delivery of lines is something else ("We must find him!") and yet, wasted to a point. Half wish he could come back somehow.

And yet, in spite of my disdain of bad actors, I'm always blinded to Tanya Roberts' by her being the sex on legs she was in her day. Like the boys in 70s Show I imagine I view her with open mouth and a buzzing sound in my head.
Still, as I always say, wish I was Bond when he carries her from City Hall. I blame the music.

And the dark moments -City Hall yes, but the machine gunning in the mine resonates. As this is effectively Goldfinger, it's much more chilling than the gassing of the gangsters.

Here, in the end, is to Patrick Macnee. A perfect sidekick to Bond and sorely missed.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 1:48 pm

I, too, have never seen the mine massacre as an issue in AVTAK. Zorin is a villain, and his actions, plus Walken's performance, amplify his psychosis.

Also, I feel AVTAK is a much better mix of Moore's style and the 60s sense of danger and intrigue - probably more so than OP. It has that element of benign bizarre whilst still feeling like an espionage flick. I don't think it's a step down from FYEO and OP at all…
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm

The massacre feels right at home for something in the 80s. So many movies at that time that were showing gratuitous shootings. Arnold could do it, but Bond can't so that was left to the villain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0   Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0 - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Bond Movie You Watched? 2.0
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next