More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

"Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

"Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album Empty
PostSubject: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 4:05 am

Includes interviews with Barry, Norman, Arnold, Martin, and others.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

"Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 am

Very interesting. When they were mentioning studio heads being more cautious about big budget films I thought they were gonna bring up k.d. Lang's song being rejected and how that hurt Arnold, as its said he wanted the music to be his own and such.

I always felt Arnold should have gone more the path he took with Shaken & Stirred where that was primarily focused on taking something old and bringing it new life in a contemporary sense. Instead when he got TND he backpedaled, or as he said "one foot in the 90s and the other in the 60s". Favorite cues of his would be "Hamburg Break In" where it felt fresh and contemporary, but then "White Knight" riffing the John Barry sound more than doing its own thing. Keep the Bond sound, but don't appear to be standing still. That's why I think QOS is his best score and the only one he did that I felt completely satisfied with, while everything before was sort of scattershot. Some good cues here and there but mostly filler.

Looking at this doc it's pretty easy to see why EON stuck with Arnold for so long and probably will bring him back if Newman doesn't return. The compliments given by John Barry and Don Black (who worked with Arnold several times) kind of made EON feel they got the guy they wanna stick with.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 am

The only decent tracks on that Godforsaken record are Jarvis Cocker's ATH, Propellerheads' OHMSS, LTJ Bukem's Bond Theme and Lelftfield's Space March. Everything else is either tedious, embarrassing, or far too reverent and faithful to the originals. Even I find the Propellerheads remix of OHMSS a bit dull nowadays, to be honest. Nice fuzz bass groove and breakbeat, but nothing else to write home about.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 am

I'm no fan of dance music, but I did like the single release edit (album version goes on far too bloody long, IMHO) of the Propellerheads/Arnold version of OHMSS. And also Backseat Driver, their collaboration from the TND soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 am

I think I prefer Backseat Driver.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Python wrote:
Looking at this doc it's pretty easy to see why EON stuck with Arnold for so long and probably will bring him back if Newman doesn't return. The compliments given by John Barry and Don Black (who worked with Arnold several times) kind of made EON feel they got the guy they wanna stick with.

Yep. As annoying as his music may be at times, it's clear that he's passionate about Bond music. After viewing this, I gained a tad bit more respect for Arnold. It's nice knowing that he's not some careless shithead just waiting for his next check.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Control wrote:
Python wrote:

Yep. As annoying as his music may be at times, it's clear that he's passionate about Bond music. After viewing this, I gained a tad bit more respect for Arnold. It's nice knowing that he's not some careless shithead just waiting for his next check.

When it comes to scoring Bond, David Arnold is living proof that being a glorified fanboy isn't enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album   "Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album Empty

Back to top Go down

"Nobody Does It Better" - 1998 documentary on Bond music & Arnold's cover album
Page 1 of 1