More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th

Go down 
+31
Lazenby.
Prisoner Monkeys
Jack Wade
Santa
GeneralGogol
Salomé
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
lachesis
Tubes
bondfan06
Control
Drax
Loomis
Fairbairn-Sykes
bitchcraft
saint mark
Gravity's Silhouette
Ravenstone
Harmsway
HJackson
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
dr. strangelove
Blunt Instrument
Largo's Shark
Manhunter
The White Tuxedo
j7wild
Hilly
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 6:16 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Tubes wrote:
I could certainly see why someone would strongly dislike LEGEND, as it goes in an entirely different direction from MASK. Save Banderas and Zeta-Jones, every actor is also a step back, sometimes mildly (Captain Love to MacGivens), sometimes dramatically (Rufus Sewell can't hold a candle to Stuart Wilson). It also reverses course on the sexuality that MASK had in favor of familial relationships and pushed Elana into an equal lead role instead of a romantic interest. On one hand, she is the daughter of Zorro and can clearly handle herself in a fight as presented in the first movie. On the other, seeing Zeta-Jones get such prominent billing and poster space over the title character is grating at times.

I still enjoyed LEGEND, but it doesn't come even close to MASK. To be fair, very few action films do.

To be honest one of my issues is that I didn't want a sequel to MASK. To me, Zorro is about de la Vega (like Batman is about Bruce Wayne) and I saw MASK as one last adventure with the added bonus of passing the torch in a classy way to a younger guy to say "the legend will live on". Same with DARK KNIGHT RISES -- I liked it, but I don't wanna see a "John Blake Batman" movie. In my head MASK is like the finale to the Guy Williams Zorro series or something like that.

That's also how I always thought of it. It also reminded me of BATMAN BEYOND, featuring the dynamic of a mentor and his student, though Banderas is not some teenager.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Saw the new STAR TREK movie and as a new incarnation for a new generation it works very well. Perhaps some of the classic ST is far better, but that does not take away that the new ST are excellent actioners in space with a great cast. I am just glad that the new movie does give us an excellent new jumpingboard for the future of the franchise.
While I am a great fan of the original ST and their movies and quite dissapointed with the Next Gen movies, I find that the new style works quite well and is most surely a different way from before.

Cumberbatch was great.

Looking forward to ST3 or STXIII.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Strippers -v- Werewolves

Pretty bloody good actually.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 11:41 pm

EXCALIBUR (1981, dir. by John Boorman)

Hilariously sh**e. MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL without any sense of irony. I haven't laughed so hard for so long in quite a while. Its saving graces are Nicol Williamson and Helen Mirren hamming it up along with some gorgeous heavily diffused cinematography, but other than that, it's a turgid, overlong, incoherent, affectless mess. A huge waste of talent, and some of the worst classical temp-scoring I've ever seen (Wagner and Carl Orff).

God, I feel like I've aged a decade in 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Give me THE SWORD AND THE STONE over this any day.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 am

Couldnt disagree more, LS but you could probably predict that.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 am

I was thinking of you while I typed that.

I honestly can't understand liking this film. Ironically sure, but straight-faced?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 1:11 am

EXCALIBUR has its moments.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 1:20 am

I have no interest in fantasy but I really liked EXCALIBUR. I found it to be campy fun. And I love this line reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqWMqqJBig#t=10s

It's like Obi-Wan meets Shatner.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 am

Harmsway wrote:
EXCALIBUR has its moments.

Oh it does, but they're like needles in a hay stack. They almost all feature Merlin.

Don't get me started on Trevor Jones's score.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 1:29 am

FWIW, I prefer ZARDOZ and THE EXORCIST II.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:17 am

I love Excalibur. I love the style and the grandeur and the scope and the sincerety of it. I agree Merlin steals the show though. Nicol is wonderfully weird.

EXORCIST II is trash. But it's typical of you to like it. I'd expect nothing less. If I ever get a chance to make the kind of films I want to make, I'll be disappointed if you ever stoop to buying a ticket.

If we still have theatres by then.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I love Excalibur. I love the style and the grandeur and the scope and the sincerety of it.

It's pronounced sincerity.

"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." - Oscar Wilde.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

There's something to be said for earnestness in a culture that is drowning in irony.

RED LIGHTS (2012, dir. Rodrigo Cortes)

Despite the high pedigree of the cast (Robert DeNiro, Sigourney Weaver, Cilian Murphy, Elizabeth Olsen, Toby Jones), this is a pretty painful watch. The average episode of the X-FILES is more intelligently written than this.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Harmsway wrote:
There's something to be said for earnestness in a culture that is drowning in irony.

With that I'd agree.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:30 pm

The Longest Day

epic when films were epic. A case of counting all the names involved. One of the favourite scenes remains the efforts of Captain Kieffer to link up with French tanks at Ouistreham. Involves this immense aerial shot illustrating the scale involved. Something to watch if anything.
No one actor is above the other though I suspect memory is dominated by Wayne/Mitchum. Kenny More in one of his coming wilderness roles.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 am

Harmsway wrote:

Thank you, Harms.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:06 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Harmsway wrote:

Thank you, Harms.

Thirded.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 am

Oh, for fuck's sake.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am

I'm never sure if you're sincerely cynical or cynically sincere, LS.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Consistent, I'll give that.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 3:11 pm

JACK REACHER (2012, directed by Christopher McQuarrie). The very definition of watchable fluff (thanks largely to the Cruiser's star charisma, which - thinking about it - is true of a lot of his films). Ludicrous, strangely endearing fare.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm

FUNNY GIRL (1968, dir. William Wyler)

Boy, does Streisand know how to sell a musical number or what?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:23 pm

The Lavender Hill Mob

a delight throughout with a few familiar faces such as Robert Shaw in at the death but the likes of John Gregson and Sid James. My real source of joy comes from Stanley Holloway. Always, depending on the film of course, seems to fizz with this endless energy and happiness. Brief Encounter, Way Ahead, The Way to the Stars etc.
One good scene is the Vertigoesque descent of the Eifel Tower.

Good solid fun.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 12:55 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I'm never sure if you're sincerely cynical or cynically sincere, LS.

You know me better than I do.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 pm

THE SUM OF ALL FEARS

Sort of a mess. Interesting, over-the-top Goldsmith score, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? the 8th   Last Movie You Watched? the 8th - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? the 8th
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next