More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+12
He Who Dares, Wins
hegottheboot
Salomé
Xenia93
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Somerset
CJB
Hilly
Sarai
Perilagu Khan
Blunt Instrument
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Last Movie You Watched. Empty
PostSubject: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 10:58 am

It's possible I watched last night's double-bill in the wrong order.

The Lost Boys - breezy 80s vampire comedy-horror with Kiefer Sutherland, Dianne Wiest and Coreys Haim and Feldman. Actually relatively restrained-ish until the finale when the gang of bloodsuckers attack the central family's home.

Death Line - 70s Brit 'cannibals in the London Underground' horror, with Donald Pleasance heading up the cast as the investigating copper (also has a Christopher Lee cameo). Icky and unsettling, with an atmosphere akin to that of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Left me feeling a bit melancholy, hence me saying that I watched in the wrong order ... The Lost Boys would've 'blown away the cobwebs' nicely afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:11 pm

The Lost Boys is not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 am

I remember when I went to see it in the cinema I had a rotten head-cold and I still enjoyed it. A sign a movie is doing something right.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
I predict you'll warm up to The Graduate much as you did to LTK. They're very similar films, dontchaknow...

The seduction scene was funny in the beginning with his awkward comedy antics and I was laughing. But after the first hour the movie really seemed to lose me and didn't make sense. Is it just supposed to be a black comedy where all the characters are so messed up we meant to laugh at them all?
Why was the lead character obsessed with the daughter to the point of stalking her? and even more so why did she like him? they went out on one date, that's it
then she thinks he raped her mom but she goes to his apartment?
him wanting to marry her
it just got more nonsensical as it went on and it was played out as if we were supposed to be cheering for these characters
I hope the bus at the end was taking them to the mental hospital
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm

My own brother a shit sucking vampire! What until mom finds out buddy!
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Sarai wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
I predict you'll warm up to The Graduate much as you did to LTK. They're very similar films, dontchaknow...

The seduction scene was funny in the beginning with his awkward comedy antics and I was laughing. But after the first hour the movie really seemed to lose me and didn't make sense. Is it just supposed to be a black comedy where all the characters are so messed up we meant to laugh at them all?
Why was the lead character obsessed with the daughter to the point of stalking her? and even more so why did she like him? they went out on one date, that's it
then she thinks he raped her mom but she goes to his apartment?
him wanting to marry her
it just got more nonsensical as it went on and it was played out as if we were supposed to be cheering for these characters
I hope the bus at the end was taking them to the mental hospital

Valid points. But I think we watch films very differently. When I watch a movie, I do so impressionistically. I just go with the flow, and as long as the tone is right, the film is visually and aurally impressive, and the acting is good, I don't get too fussed about plot points. You, on the other hand, dissect movies keenly, and if something doesn't quite gibe for you, it really brings down the film. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's different from my approach and produces divergent opinions and evaluations.

Personally, I find The Graduate to be very poignant, and an almost painfully nostalgic slice of a vanished society. (Obviously, the latter wouldn't have come into play when it was released, although I think the film did touch on some seismic shifts that were just beginning to be felt in America.) Hoffman, who is the ultimate dork, was great. So were Anne Bancroft, Murray Hamilton, Norman Fell and Katharine Ross. Mrs. Robinson is a truly great character. The wedding sequence was a tour de force, and the final shots in that bus capture the ambivalent unease of the situation well--okay, we love each other and are now together. That is wonderful. But, my God, what have we done? And what do we do now? It's difficult to predict what their future holds, and what will happen to them. They are two young people who made terrible--if understandable mistakes--which put them in devilish circumstances. They escaped a hell of their own creation, but it's not clear they won't ultimately be pulled back down into the pit.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 7:00 pm

I think we are on the same level when we watch movies as the way you described yourself is the way I am as well. "just go with the flow, right tone, the audio/visual and not bothered by plot points'' sounds more like me. I would even go so far as to say I am often a style over substance person and lack the intellect and eye to dissect movies properly. So it seems we are in the same camp here it's just for whatever reason the movie didn't work for me so I was left with nit picking,  It could be a generational thing or perhaps the main themes aren't something I can relate to as I've never had much to rebel against. I caught the themes of changing times, old vs new, even down to the plastic references but just didn't feel it.  but overall not a bad or painful experience and thanks for the recommendation as I do like checking out these classics even if it's not my thing felt the same way about The Godfather  
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:02 pm

You know, I think the rebellious aspect of The Graduate is overstated. I mean, it's not like the two college kids were exactly Mick Jagger and Jane Fonda seeking to destroy society root and branch. Remember that when they left the titty bar, they went to that most all-American institution, the drive-in theater, and were enjoying hamburgers and fries. And Hoffman's character had bourgeoise if not Victorian sexual mores--he was very much against cheating and betraying his long-time family friends; Bancroft had to strip for him and then insult his manhood to get him into the sack. I think this was actually a fairly apolitical movie where there were no true heroes and no real villains. Even though the film was a bit bizarre, it was also quite realistic.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:15 pm

Yes, the word rebellious might be a bit too strong. It does feel like people of a certain age and changing times dancing in the middle of it.
Notice the scene too with all the older people coming out of the hotel, then the younger right after and the date scene you mentioned where he is asking the 'kids' to turn down the noise.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes, I think the notion that the two kids are rather in the eye of a cultural hurricane is part of the subtext. And I also think you're very much right to note the generational difference, if not exactly conflict or even tension, that pervades The Graduate. It's not that the youngsters are all that rebellious, but they are somehow different from their parents' generation.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Yes and the whole alienation theme can be felt quite well through out the film so it probably clicks well with anyone who ever felt that. Or maybe it's common to many at that age?
I think there is a lot of themes and emotions in the movie that I've never felt or had to go through.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:35 pm

Well then, count yourself lucky.

Incidentally, Nichols, the director of the film, said that The Graduate was partly an exploration of the difficulty of being Jewish in America. If that's the case then, obviously, the casting of the awkward Hoffman rather than Robert Redford, is pretty significant. The alienation wasn't just generational, but also cultural.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 8:44 pm

I didn't know anything about the Jewish angle so certainly adds a whole new dimension to it, thanks for that.

As far as the world goes it's always felt like an insane clown show to me and more and more as the days go by. I've always just ignored it and lived in my own reality. drugs help lol
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 pm

I've also tuned out of the Insane Clown Show, but I've been doing that since 1992 when I basically stopped listening to pop music, and stopped watching TV and movies--with the exception of Bond, of course. If I popped back into the pop culture, I'm sure I would have to borrow some of your pharmaceuticals.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 9:19 pm

No RiRi or Tay-Tay???
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm guessing the answer is no. But I do still love tah-tahs very much.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 11:29 am

*Hazards a guess that those are Rihanna and Taylor Swift*
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 4:04 pm

I'm sure they'd both make me want to Pew-Pew.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 9:48 am

Khan is probably one of those snooty Miley Fans. And speaking of "Tah tah's" it's time we had a serious conversation about Debora Caprioglio.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 11:33 am

*Googles*

I see what you mean, although given she was '68 born I wonder how perky they are these days. Pictorial evidence of same (if such exists) is of course welcome, particularly the sort that goes in the 'Mr Osato' Blades thread.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Sarai wrote:
Khan is probably one of those snooty Miley Fans. And speaking of "Tah tah's" it's time we had a serious conversation about Debora Caprioglio.

For a woman so spectacularly endowed, there is a depressing paucity of her cleavage available on the Internet.

Miley--isn't she the Hannah Montana who graduated to public twerking, only to be slapped down for cultural appropriation in a reverse Sister Souljah moment? I'm not sure I'd recognize her face, and I'm sure I wouldn't recognize any of her toonz. Her bum, however, might ring a bell...
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
*Googles*

I see what you mean, although given she was '68 born I wonder how perky they are these days. Pictorial evidence of same (if such exists) is of course welcome, particularly the sort that goes in the 'Mr Osato' Blades thread.  

Sarai likes her cougars.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 6:36 am

We were watching that movie Paprika last night so I had Debora in my mind. I don't think I've seen her in anything else or know what she looks like now but she's delicious in that film. I hadn't seen it in years and only now realized Tinto Brass was a rather good director too. going with Fallo tonight

Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 3:55 pm

Does Paprika have anything to do with Hungarian cooking?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 7:24 am

obviously lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 1 of 40Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next