More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+12
He Who Dares, Wins
hegottheboot
Salomé
Xenia93
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Somerset
CJB
Hilly
Sarai
Perilagu Khan
Blunt Instrument
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

OK I hate comedy movies find it a useless genre as I never so much as crack a smile but this had us all in tears for 90 min
I've never seen anything so funny in my life
it had a real sweet human side to it too

def going to check out more by that director
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Sarai wrote:

OK I hate comedy movies find it a useless genre as I never so much as crack a smile but this had us all in tears for 90 min

One of the three funniest flicks I've ever seen--Monthy Python and the Holy Grain, and Love and Death are the other two.

I've been watching PTaA every Thanksgiving for close to 20 years. It's a masterpiece.

PS--John Hughes' The Breakfast Club is worth a watch.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 3:25 pm

I must have watched the car rental scene about 50 times in the last 24 hours and I agree a masterpiece which is not a word I normally use when it comes to comedy. The ending was so sweet almost brought tears to my eyes. It felt like finally a writer/director who understands humans and what makes us funny instead of the usual pile of worn out crude jokes.
I'll see if I can find the Breakfast Club, thank you
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Lemme tell ya', dearest Sarai--The Breakfast Club is every bit as good as The Graduate. Trust me. You'll love it!

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 1f444
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2021 5:28 pm

laugh oh I haven't forgotten who recommended that little gem!

let's see if you can go 0-2
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 09, 2021 1:46 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Indeed. Here's hoping no stuntmen die this time round

So far as I recall, there weren't any stunt people killed, just Morrow and the two kids working that night as extras.

Most recent stuff I've watched has mostly been scary movies, as my wife likes to Halloween it up for several weeks leading up to 10/31. THE WITCH was good, but a little slow. One of my guilty pleasures, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, which is to horror what STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is to STAR TREK, a huge missed opportunity that still somehow draws me back to it time and time and time again, like this time I'm going to figure out how they could have gotten it right. The 1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is not just a horror film, but a brilliant exercise in period paranoia, and also tied for my favorite love story (with THE AGE OF INNOCENCE ... what, you thought I was going to say FLASHDANCE?)

Next up will be THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, which I recall as having some really good miniature effects in it, plus I'm a Will Patton fan, so long as he isn't wearing a black moustache and trying to look like somebody named Hector (in ENTRAPMENT.)

Oh, and for myself I snuck in 3:10 YUMA (remake, still like it) and another viewing of GO TELL THE SPARTANS, a very inexpensive little movie with heart and brains and a pretty decent cast. Too bad they had to shoot down the road from Magic Mountain and try to pass it off as Vietnam.

Oh, and GOOD BOYS, which is like 40 YEAR OLD VERSION but done with kids. Tons funnier than I expected.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 09, 2021 2:07 pm

The Witch was pretty impressive for a new horror movie but I had to watch it twice with the subs on the second time to hear what they were saying. Appreciate them going for authentic but enough with the mumbling in movies.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 09, 2021 4:59 pm

trevanian wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:
Indeed. Here's hoping no stuntmen die this time round

So far as I recall, there weren't any stunt people killed, just Morrow and the two kids working that night as extras.

Most recent stuff I've watched has mostly been scary movies, as my wife likes to Halloween it up for several weeks leading up to 10/31. THE WITCH was good, but a little slow. One of my guilty pleasures, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, which is to horror what STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE is to STAR TREK, a huge missed opportunity that still somehow draws me back to it time and time and time again, like this time I'm going to figure out how they could have gotten it right. The 1978 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is not just a horror film, but a brilliant exercise in period paranoia, and also tied for my favorite love story (with THE AGE OF INNOCENCE ... what, you thought I was going to say FLASHDANCE?)

Next up will be THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, which I recall as having some really good miniature effects in it, plus I'm a Will Patton fan, so long as he isn't wearing a black moustache and trying to look like somebody named Hector (in ENTRAPMENT.)

Oh, and for myself I snuck in 3:10 YUMA (remake, still like it) and another viewing of GO TELL THE SPARTANS, a very inexpensive little movie with heart and brains and a pretty decent cast. Too bad they had to shoot down the road from Magic Mountain and try to pass it off as Vietnam.

Oh, and GOOD BOYS, which is like 40 YEAR OLD VERSION but done with kids. Tons funnier than I expected.

For a period of two years or so about the only films I watched were Bond films and supernatural horror. In fact, I started a thread on BaB about the latter. At any rate, I had seen just about all of the films people rate as the scariest--sans The Ring, and Wicker Man--and felt none could truly faze me. Then I saw The VVitch. Not only utterly terrifying, but also incredibly depressing. A thoroughly unpleasant film. At any rate, that was the end of that. Haven't watched a horror film since, and I don't know that I ever will.

Incidentally, The Mothman Prophecies is terrific, and that despite the fact that I rather dislike Richard Gere. It is inventive and deep-down creepy. It is those sorts of horror films that I truly miss.

And in that vein, I highly recommend The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. Easily the most underrated horror film of all time. The Last Exorcism is the runner up in that category.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 09, 2021 7:04 pm

That's the thing about horror it's rarely if ever scary. The only one I can think of is The Shining.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 2:35 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Incidentally, The Mothman Prophecies is terrific, and that despite the fact that I rather dislike Richard Gere. It is inventive and deep-down creepy. It is those sorts of horror films that I truly miss.

And in that vein, I highly recommend The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. Easily the most underrated horror film of all time. The Last Exorcism is the runner up in that category.

Wow, I've never even hear of ROSALIND LEIGH till now. Reading up a bit, it definitely sounds like our cup of tea (and I don't mean 'mud,' Fleming GF fans.) Have a couple bucks to use up on Amazon streaming, guess this will be the one.

I've always really liked THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE -- saw it when I was a kid in the theater and the mix of kinda-science with eroticism really worked for me, then and still now. Richard Matheson was really the guy when it came to horror fantasy -- I mean, without him and his plots, I don't think there could be a Stephen King. Still waiting for a really good adaptation of I AM LEGEND to come along (I actually dig THE OMEGA MAN, both for and in spite of the cheesy factor, but it only gets Neville's pragmatism right, then goes off on its own thing.)

It's probably not too popular an opinion, but I also find the first 20-30 minutes of EXORCIST III to be nearly perfect and creepy as all get-out. It can't sustain, but still works for me, especially for the one long held take focusing on the nursing station.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 4:16 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sarai wrote:

One of the three funniest flicks I've ever seen--Monthy Python and the Holy Grain, and Love and Death are the other two.

I've been watching PTaA every Thanksgiving for close to 20 years. It's a masterpiece.

I also back Love and Death. One of Woody's finest. One of comedy's finest!

And The Breakfast Club is pure gold. I also like Some Kind of Wonderful-- Howard Deutsch directed but from John Hughes' script which is an inverted Pretty In Pink. Both are fantastic but Some Kind Of Wonderful edges out for me for the stronger performances from Eric Stoltz and Mary Stuart Masterson.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 am

Last Night In Soho - Edgar Wright's latest is part time-travel fantasy, part psychological horror. Eloise (Thomasin McKenzie), a modern-day young girl from Cornwall with a Sixties obsession, a strange 'sixth sense' and a passion for fashion design moves to London to study the latter. She soon moves out of her student accomodation (due to her awful roommate and her bitchy clique) and into a bedsit flat whose landlady is Miss Collins (Diana Rigg in her last screen role). She soon finds herself travelling back to Soho during her favourite decade (while there she is in the body of nightclub singer Sandie (Anna Taylor-Joy) ). At first she naturally enjoys all this, but things soon turn very dark indeed ...

Also starring Terence Stamp, Matt Smith, Pauline McLynn, Rita Tushingham and Margaret Nolan (the second 'Bond Girl' making her last screen appearance in this film).

I really enjoyed this ... Wright's inspirations were the likes of Don't Look Now and Repulsion, and it shows. And as you'd imagine, it has a great soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Sarai wrote:
That's the thing about horror it's rarely if ever scary. The only one I can think of is The Shining.

Hm. The Shining didn't scare me in the slightest. Now the novel, OTOH, shook me up a bit.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 5:50 pm

trevanian wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Wow, I've never even hear of ROSALIND LEIGH till now. Reading up a bit, it definitely sounds like our cup of tea (and I don't mean 'mud,' Fleming GF fans.) Have a couple bucks to use up on Amazon streaming, guess this will be the one.

I've always really liked THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE -- saw it when I was a kid in the theater and the mix of kinda-science with eroticism really worked for me, then and still now. Richard Matheson was really the guy when it came to horror fantasy -- I mean, without him and his plots, I don't think there could be a Stephen King. Still waiting for a really good adaptation of I AM LEGEND to come along (I actually dig THE OMEGA MAN, both for and in spite of the cheesy factor, but it only gets Neville's pragmatism right, then goes off on its own thing.)

It's probably not too popular an opinion, but I also find the first 20-30 minutes of EXORCIST III to be nearly perfect and creepy as all get-out. It can't sustain, but still works for me, especially for the one long held take focusing on the nursing station.

I'm a huge fan of Exorcist III. In fact, I think it's every bit as frightening as the original, if not quite up to its standard in terms of pure cinematic quality. George C. and Brad Dourif are excellent.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sarai wrote:

I also back Love and Death. One of Woody's finest. One of comedy's finest!

And The Breakfast Club is pure gold. I also like Some Kind of Wonderful-- Howard Deutsch directed but from John Hughes' script which is an inverted Pretty In Pink. Both are fantastic but Some Kind Of Wonderful edges out for me for the stronger performances from Eric Stoltz and Mary Stuart Masterson.

Love and Death is a gag a minute. One of those films where there's a real danger of hurting yourself from laffing so hard.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 8:00 pm

"I'm a huge fan of Exorcist III. In fact, I think it's every bit as frightening as the original, if not quite up to its standard in terms of pure cinematic quality. George C. and Brad Dourif are excellent. "

100% agree
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sarai wrote:

Hm. The Shining didn't scare me in the slightest. Now the novel, OTOH, shook me up a bit.

I'll say it's the scariest and funniest movie at the same time I've ever watched. It's not that I am scared of the hotel or Jack but how much I can relate to him. Put me in a relationship, marriage kids and I see things pretty much playing out the same way. laugh
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 12:56 am

Sarai wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sarai wrote:

I'll say it's the scariest and funniest movie at the same time I've ever watched. It's not that I am scared of the hotel or Jack but how much I can relate to him. Put me in a relationship, marriage kids and I see things pretty much playing out the same way. laugh

laugh

Well, there's no shame in being single, wot.

Funny thing--well, actually not very funny at all--is that I relate to the father in The VVitch. I could all too easily imagine being the patriarch your wife and children are depending upon to keep them alive and from harm, and being confronted with something that is completely out of my depth and far beyond my competence. And it's not as though he was a terribly competent man to begin with. All he could do effectively was chop wood. When he tried to shoot that deer and the gun backfired in his face, that was actually one of the most disturbing scenes in the movie because you knew at that point they were all doomed. The father/husband couldn't even procure meat for his family, how the hell was he going to defeat that monstrous witch?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Do you mean in that particular situation or in general? Because that just sounds like a natural fear I imagine all parents have.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Sarai wrote:
Do you mean in that particular situation or in general? Because that just sounds like a natural fear I imagine all parents have.

I'm not a parent, but yes, I'm sure all parents have that fear to some extent. But in The VVitch, that fear is heightened to intolerable levels. And it is a very justified fear, not mere paranoia.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 4:54 pm

I didn't really feel that in that movie and my reason is I found all the characters so thoroughly abrasive and unpleasant. In fact I hated it the first time I saw it but it somehow got stuck in my head so I ended up watching it again. The same guy directed The Lighthouse and it's the same kind of experience if not worse..it's just an ugly unpleasant watch yet I wouldn't say it's a bad movie by any means. I don't even know if I would recommend it or know how to answer if someone asked me if it was good. Not in the traditional sense, not if movies are meant to entertain but it is a very well written and crafted film. so I guess for that reason I find the director interesting it brings up the question of why do we watch movies or dramas in the first place
 I'm never sure if in The Witch it's just a matter of fate and cursed luck or if the character especially the father is just incompetent. I liked his break down about it all being ego and pride at the end as that def seemed to ring true observing him. It was scary watching how humans could take the simple words of Jesus and turn it into such an insane over the top superstition as well.  that's where the fear was for me
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Unpleasant is absolutely the mot juste. There is not a single light, pleasant or humorous moment in the entire film. It's an unremitting firehose of misery and horror. As for the characters, I don't know that I necessarily find them unpleasant, but, with the exception of the teenage girl, they are physically unattractive--hard to look at. That, of course, is a realistic touch, but it is also jarring because we are used to seeing the Beautiful People on the silver screen.

As for the religious aspect, it's certainly an interesting one. The Christianity professed by the characters in the film was every bit as totalizing as that held by many Muslims today. It is the sole defining feature of their entire lives, and it is believed, literally, with a passionate intensity that is frightening in itself. I mean, they actually believed that their baby was burning in hell because it was killed by the witch before it could be baptized. Can you imagine actually believing that? Such a belief, to me, would drive one insane very quickly. Then again, perhaps one must be quite daft to begin with to believe such a thing.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 5:51 pm

That's where the fear came in for me. There is nothing as scary as humans especially when they become afraid and irrational. I always knew it but the COVID hysteria made me look at many around me in whole new light and i know I could never trust them.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 pm

I always really like M Night Shyamalan movie The Happening for that very reason, watching the masses panic in every irrational way one can imagine for absolutely no reason at all.
it's one of the funniest movies I have ever watched
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Sarai wrote:
That's where the fear came in for me. There is nothing as scary as humans especially when they become afraid and irrational. I always knew it but the COVID hysteria made me look at many around me in whole new light and i know I could never trust them.

Amen to that. I've never had a particularly high regard for the human race, but the Kovid madness has caused me to lose almost all respect for our species.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next