More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? Empty
PostSubject: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Continuing the theme of the controversial James Bond novels by John Gardner, let's have a look at his last novel, Cold (UK), Cold Fall (US). There are significant differences between the two versions of the novel, with Cold Fall probably being more coherent and beter organised than the UK version, although it is edited in places. There used to be a very interesting article on the interweb about the differences between the UK and US versions of Gardner's Bond novels, written by the staff writer Nick Kincaid on the now defunct site 007 Forever. Luckily, though, I still have print copies from the site taken in 2001-02.

I wonder are there also elements of foretelling the 2001-2009 Bush Jnr.administration here also - far right foreign and social policy/torture like waterboarding/US and UK led 'War on Terror' etc.?

What are our thoughts on Gardner's controversial swan song from the literary James Bond?

Listen to this interesting yet bizarre and overtly critical review on You Tube from "Blue Pencil":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNIY2vhB2dw

Fairly strange guy reviewing this, but interesting nonetheless!

Was Gardner's plot with General Brutus Clay inspired by the American Nazi Party/American Christian Fascists or Christ-fascists at all? Clay appears nowadays as a sort of mix of Len Deighton's General Midwinter (from Billion Dollar Brain) and President George W. Bush (in office 2001-2009).

Cold/Cold Fall certainly had a lot of relevance nowadays - I think that its prescient qualities need to be reappraised now in 2013!

I've also been doing a little bit of Google and book researching on John Gardner's final James Bond continuation novel Cold/Cold Fall (1996) and I've found trhe following information online on the possible inspiration for General Brutus Brute Clay as the American Christian Fascist in the novel version: one US Congressman Brutus Junius Clay whose father was a certain General Brutus Clay. See the website posted below here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_J._Clay

http://claye.tripod.com/descendants_of_green_clay.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg … d=15490047

http://files.usgwarchives.net/ky/bourbo … 400003.txt

Was John Gardner inspired by the Clay family to create the villain General Brutus Clay who wants to take over the United States in a Fascist coup.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on this revelation - do you think that this was what inspired Gardner to create General Brutus Brute Clay in Cold/Cold Fall or is this merely concidence? Gardner did have vast tomes of military and political history in his West Virginian home in the United States so my theory about his getting the name from United States political history might just fit. Having a villain with the name "Clay" also works from the "Clay Pigeon" perspective - a reference Gardner also made in his final James Bond continuation novel in 1996.

I can't help but think that Gardner was also inspired by the funamentalist Christian far right Americans of the time - see the 'hawks' such as Vice President Dick Cheney etc. in the later George W. Bush Administration. What are our thoughts on this element of potential inspiration for the novel? I'm currently reading a book called American Fascism (2007) on the subject of the Christian Far Right in the United States and General Brutus Clay would certainly not look out of place amongst its pages.

I'm writing a review of John Gardner's Cold/Cold Fall for my The Bondologist Blog, hence my rather niche questions/observations inn this thread.

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on these (admittedly esoteric) points on the background of Cold/Cold Fall by John Gardner.

Thanks for reading. :D
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 am

All I remember is eagerly spotting it in the school library around the time I started watching all of the Bond films - and being bitterly disappointed at how un-Bondian it was.
Back to top Go down
British Vulture

British Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 am

I enjoyed this book.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 am

There's a difference between versions? It took me forever to find the US 1st edition, and upon reading it I was beyond perplexed.
What was going on here exactly? None of the book makes any sense and on top of that one of the best female characters from Gardner's tenure is reduced to silly madness.
Upon re-reading all the Gardners recently, this is easily and by far the worst. The writing veers sharply with Never Send Flowers and never regains the spark of the initial Gardner novels.

But this is darn near unreadable.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Dragonpol, can you post that list of differences? Looks like I need to collect the UK Gardner run now, and just as I was 1 away from having all the US 1sts and 2 away from having all US 1st paperbacks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?   Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner? Empty

Back to top Go down

Critical Cold Front? Your thoughts on Cold/Cold Fall (1996) by John Gardner?
Page 1 of 1